Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

381 to 400 of 788 messages
03/04/2013 at 21:53
Yippeeeeee! A new person on the thread welcome.
04/04/2013 at 06:17

Greetings Super Gibo, does that mean I'm no longer the new boy

I had a look at the weekend and I think there was close to 450 entries.

04/04/2013 at 08:48

Such a lovely welcome, thanks Angela .

I'm happy and proud to take the title of "New Boy" Kandinsky 

Where do you see on the site the list of entrants? i couldn't find

04/04/2013 at 09:21

Hi Super Gibo good to have you onboard.

Follow this link for the entries list http://www.chiptiminguk.co.uk/ps/event/2013HaEM/PreEntries

I'll be sorting my entry out next week, I have put it off as this is my first marathon since a major foot injury so I have been shy about tempting fate but so far so good and I'm really looking forward to it now.

Angela - What are your duties on Saturday at Parkrun? I am on stand by so I'm going to be running it and I'm gunning for a new PB which considering I've never timed a 5k before should be quite attainable. 

04/04/2013 at 09:27

Hehe, I fell off my bike on Monday, and yesterday, I face planted in my run in London... for full write up see: http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/

Yes, the first Colchester Park run is this Saturday - all welcome to come along and have a run!!!

Oirish, I'm very jealous you get to run, as I know I have a 5k pb in my legs- my last was 24.01 and I'm sure I can take 2 seconds off that! Even with the hilly castlepark course.  I'm 'Registration' which as far as I can tell is the biggest responsibility- basically, if I mess up people don't get their times!

The next time I have free to run the park run is the week before halstead- is that too close to go for a fast 5k???

GTC
04/04/2013 at 12:21

Tiny tiny request - if you are doing Haltead on the 12th May would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on this thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling  a marathon.

GTC
04/04/2013 at 12:25

Hi all,

Sorry been manic with work and family but still running most days. I have Paddock Wood Half this weekedn and hoping to get close to Sub 90 minutes. Weather may impact!

Hi newbies - great to see you on here!

Angela - are you ok after the fall?

GTC - I will email you today about taking part. I have some interest in this are and my daughter is looking at pursuing a career in Sports Psychology so it will good to be involved for her, as well. Good luck with your research!

04/04/2013 at 13:05

Hello DS2,

yes, i bought a packet of frozen peas at tesco before i got on the train home... i think people thought i was odd when i sat there the whole journey with it pressed to my knee, but it seems the fall from running was much less severe than the fall of my bike.  I think i'l be fine to do my 20 on Sunday.

I told my boss about it, and he said these things come in threes, so I hope the next one is even less severe :-S

Good luck in your race!

04/04/2013 at 15:03

Angela - The third will be me throttling you if you cock up my stunning PB!! 

GTC - I'll definitely give this a look as I am very interested in the psychological aspect of running.

DS2 - I was out in this weather earlier for a 10 miler and it is not PB weather is it? I've no idea what the forecast is but fingers crossed for you.

04/04/2013 at 15:37

Runour has it, Oirish that the weather is about to improve and the winds from Siberia are going to change to westerley winds and only 8mph so might be ok.

Just had a call from Mrs DS2 who is at our caravan in St Osyths and she says she has plenty of snow. I've had enough of training in this!

Due to do a 6 mile recovery run tonight so should be horrible! I shall look forward to a couple of glasses of red as a reward!

04/04/2013 at 15:40

DS2 you should get Mrs DS2 to come and do the first Colchester Castle Park run this Saturday 

Oirish, I do not appreciate threats... I shall have to sabotage your pb... Perhaps with a great big slice of Ginger Cake before you start running... That reminds me, I must make a ginger cake.... mmmmm cake....

04/04/2013 at 16:22

Oirish/DS2 as keen cyclists, I have a quetion for ya!

I'm trying to plan out my training goals for the rest of the year, and with this ride london100 at the start of August, its at a time where I should be starting marathon training for bournemouth.  Hopefully I will have run a perfectly paced marathon in Halstead at 4.15 and will be hoping to go sub4 in bournemouth.  However, in the time I'm training for the Ride100, I will clearly not be running so much.

Would it be better to focus on speed or endurance in the runs that  I do do?  My feeling is speed, since I'll hopefully be building up a lot of endurance from being on the bike for hours at the weekend, but appreciate your input...

04/04/2013 at 18:04

Did somebody mention cake?

DS2 - Good skill with your race, for what it's worth  I heard the same theory that wind was about to flip 180 degrees and bring some much over due spring weather with it.

Angela - Take care that knee, I'm not sure I could endure another thread with a baconesque pre marathon injury dilema.

I'm not a cyclist (or Oirish/DS2 for that matter) but regarding speed vs endurance, I'd be tempted to plug in a recent 5 or 10 k time into Macmillan and see what that spits out as a potential marathon time. 

If it's close to the time you want I'd suggest that indicates you have the speed and should concentrate on building up the endurance to sustain it, otherwise you may need to focus on finding a little more pace.

07/04/2013 at 20:59

Hello Kandinsky!  Afraid I didn't have time to make cake on friday night as I went out for dinner and drinks with the fiance instead... Colchester's first Parkrun was a great success though- 128 runners on a beautiful day

Today I did my first 20 miler.  I decided I would make it a bit interesting, with some marathon pace miles in there, so I did 6 miles easy, 4 miles marathon pace, 4 miles easy, 4 miles marathon pace, 2 miles easy:

It went really well- I think chia seeds are the key. I've found shorter long runs a lot harder without chia... 

I set easy pace as between 10:15 and 11:00 and marathon pace between 9:30 and 9:45. The second marathon pace section was harder but still manageable, and I think my pace came down a lot in the last mile as for the first 3 the garmin was constantly beeping at me to slow down. Anyway, this is how I ran: 

Miles 1-6 10:29 
Miles 7-10 9:32 
Miles 11-14. 10:34 
Miles 15-18 9:33 
Miles 19-20. 10:42 

The last 2 miles were really tough, but I think this was because my last mile is mainly uphill and being close to home it's easy to decide to give up and walk. 

It was a beautiful day for a run, and I even saw somebody walking a ferret 

07/04/2013 at 21:00

DS2... how was your half marathon today (I ask as if I haven't already asked you...)

07/04/2013 at 21:02
Angela asked on another thread how my half marathon went today, so here goes:

Legs felt tight from the start. I was hoping to set off at 6:50mm and see how it felt. I was hoping for sub 90 mins. First mile in 6:56 felt too hard and realised 90 wasn't going to happen so decided to run slightly slower but trying to stay inside 7mm. Apart from miles 7 & 11 which were 7:01 & 7:04 all the others were below 7mm and came home in 1:30:44. Not too bad - fastest I have run a half since setting my PB of 75:30 in 1994!

Just about on track to run 3:15 at Halstead but I will need to be on form!

How is everyone else doing?
07/04/2013 at 21:17
How funny - a perfect x post!

Nice of you to ask!
08/04/2013 at 06:39

Angela:  You really shouldn't tease the boys with promises of cake  I'm really pleased the 1st Colchester Parkrun went well and that's a great turnout, it must be really satisfying for everyone involved.

Blooming good work with your 20 miles, it's always good to get those big runs under your belt and even better that you could mix it up with blocks at MP

I did my first 20+ miler of the year too, bit of a bummer to discover that the water bottle no longer seals properly so not only did I only get about 3 mouthfuls from it but I also ended up with sopping wet back of my thighs which proceeded to ice up in the morning frost!

Other than that all was good, I'm afraid I work in "new money" (km's) mainly because everything sounds further and faster but plenty of info here (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/294361133) if your interested.

DS2:  Great job with your half (which one was it?) would a 3:15 be a GFA?  I'm still trying to work out what to aim for at Halstead, at the moment I'm thinking 3:40 but I'd be happier if I had another couple of long runs logged.

Keep up the good work everyone, just a couple of big weeks left before the taper begins!

08/04/2013 at 11:56

Well done DS2 very strong result, considering you weren't feeling it

Your half marathon pb sickens me somewhat, as it suggests you could run a half marathon, and then a 10k in the time it takes me to just run the half....

Kandinsky, I'm very happy with the success of the first event, and for the vast majority of runners it was their first EVER park run, which suggests we'll have similar high turnout each week.  You'd be very welcome to visit.  I'll be run director on the 27th, and I shall try to do better at my cake duties that time!!

For Halstead, I'm pretty sure I'm still aiming for a 4.15.  I'm quite happy that I managed both my MP sections at  9:33.  a 4:15 would be average 9:44 pace, So I think I can set out at 9:33 ish and allow the pace to deteriorate through the race without worrying too much- I reference this recent RW article for this approach.  I certainly didn't feel like there was any lactate buildup during the MP or slower sections, so really hope this pace plan is the right one for me...

08/04/2013 at 12:17

Angela - very good long run. It sounds like you are very comfortable at 9:33mm so that sounds the right sort of pace. I usually find my MP efforts in a long run really tough - but easier if it is apart of a race.

I will definitely be along to your Parkrun at some point. I think I need to run a fair few miles quicker over the coming few weeks if my 3:15 target is going to feel relatively comfortable. Whatever happens the last 6 miles will be tough so i put myself in that position yesterday and hung on even though I wasn't comfortable. Good mental prep for the big day!

Kandinsky - well done on getting the 20 miler done & dusted. I run all of my runs unfuelled now. It was tough initially but it teaches your body to cope without and it actually gets easier. You will have got a real training boost from taking hardly any on. In fact, I ran a 20 mile race last month with no drink at all - just ran through the drink stops - and only had one sip yesterday but didn't feel I needed it. I thought it was good to practise a little.

I am indeed needing to run Sub 3:15 for a GFA - I think it will be touch and go!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.