Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

441 to 460 of 788 messages
25/04/2013 at 09:55

Jason- did you get your 20 in?

DS2- thanks for a bit of a course description- I'm going to get my fiance to drive me around it this weekend, so I have a better idea of what to expect - should be a lot less hilly than my last 20 miler

Minks - I take it you've entered then?

Oirish - life gets in the way huh??  supping beers are ya?

Kandinsky - How is your knee?  Please tell me its all better and you're raring to go?  

I think a meet up after to swap race stories is a great idea- though DS2 and Minks might get a bit bored waiting for me to finish!!!  Does anyone know Halstead well enough to suggest a meeting point?  Otherwise I'll have a look see this weekend to pick something out.

25/04/2013 at 10:01

Nice going Angela. Just over two weeks to go now so no heroics. Anything we do now is unlikely to help performance but could destroy it!!

Minks - I definitely won't be going off too fast!!! other than one hill I remember in the second mile (I think) it's relatively flat for the first 5 or 6 so we should be able to settle into a decent rythm and take it from there.

I live in Kent, but only 15 minutes from the Dartford Crossing so not too bad for Halstead. I actually live right on the North Downs but in a valley so I have very little choice with hills unless I drive somewhere first.

I feel like I'm suffering from taper madness now. Keep having all sorts of doubts - taking it as a good sign!!

25/04/2013 at 10:02

Angela - it's set up really well at a sports centre and their is acres of playing fields there. It will be easy to pick a place to meet up. We could PM each other our mobile numbers?

25/04/2013 at 10:44

Angela, that sounds like a really tough 20 miler so well done for getting that in the bag.  Halstead will seem flat after that which can only be good!

Swapping mobile numbers is a good idea, DS2.  As is a pre-race drive around the course; I'll see if I can persuade my hubby to do that this weekend or next - it would be good to get a feel for the terrain (although there may be a case for ignorance being bliss as well!)

I did 7 miles last night and 7 on Tuesday night.  On Tuesday my right leg seemd to have a mind of its own and I felt as though I couldn't control it properly - very tight quad and hamstring.  A bit easier last night and most of the DOMS has worn off now.  I picked an undulating route on Tuesday and yesterday a mostly off-road route which I ran in reverse so it was almost all uphill rather than the downhill direction I usually run it in!  Averaged 8:11 pace on Tuesday and 8:00 yesterday so quite happy with that.  Although I only ran just under half the marathon on Sunday, my legs were about as trashed as if I'd run a half marathon at race pace so I'm pleased they seem to be recovering quickly.  I also feel much better - more energy, so hopefully the virus has passed through now.

Actually, I still need to get my entry in for Halstead - haven't actually done that yet; hope there are still places!

25/04/2013 at 11:04

DS2/Minks- just sent u my number

Minks, if you don't get the chance to do a pre race drive around, I can always take some pictures and put on my blog so you get a better idea of it go and enter Halstead Now! I'm sure it wont have filled up, but I think there is a deadline for online entries.

25/04/2013 at 11:39

Angela- epic fail on my 20 miler on sunday! only managed 10 and struggled with that if im honest! had a really late night on saturday looking after a drunken wife  so wasnt expecting miracles.

Does anyone recommend a long one on sunday?? ive been told to leave it and start tapering but i feel like i havent done enough!!

I know for halstead if you get in the right spot, spectators will see you loads (figure of 8).

is everyone meeting up before or after??

25/04/2013 at 12:10

Hi Jason,

Hmm, I would say that you should leave it- if you haven't managed to do it already- from what I recall you struggled to come back after the braintree boggle, so you might risk burning yourself out before halstead if you try to do another long (20) run before hand, but consider what this means for your race strategy.  Perhaps it means 2xhalf marathon time + 10 isn't the right formula for you, and perhaps its 2xhalf marathon time + 20-30.  But again, I divert to those more experienced.

I would rather meet after- pre race Im a bit of a wreck and you'll think I'm the most unfriendly person better to meet at the end when I'm on my runner's high

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 12:11
25/04/2013 at 12:35

Thats what i was thinking. im totaly confident about the race ive got all the fueling strategy mastered and happy about being on my feet for that long .

just another one of my jump in the deep end runs i suppose .

bit like the rest of my training i suppose .

Pre-race it is then, be good to put faces to names etc. halsteads a lovely place, i only lived down the road for a few years so i know the area well.

25/04/2013 at 12:37

Jason, I'm considering doing 20 on Sunday - but only because my last 20 was 31 March (pre-taper for London) so I haven't done a long run for 4 weeks and feel there's too much of a gap.  I haven't completely decided yet but it will be somewhere between 16 and 20.  Why don't you compromise by doing 15 or so if the 20 at this stage will take it out of you too much?  You don't want to have your best performance on a training run!  How many 18/20s have you done and when was your last?

Thanks for number, Angela - I will send mine to you guys as well.  Happy to meet up after - although also happy to meet up beforehand, DS2, if we might be starting together!  Thanks for the offer of course photos too - just want an idea of what the hills are like really (as race organisers' idea of 'hill' can vary considerably - I've done races classified as 'undulating' before which I would call hilly, and vice versa).

25/04/2013 at 13:02

Hello everyone - latecomer here I'm afraid...

Can everyone see the entrants list on the website ? I can see the Essex Champs list, but not the main list - which I think is the option I chose as I'm never going to be winning anything anyway... I'm getting an 'XML error' but I'm not sure if its just my PC.

I'm planning on running this at a fairly sensible pace as I have Comrades two weeks later, but will hopefully still sneak in under 4 hrs. 'Planning' is the operative word as my self control is questionable...

25/04/2013 at 13:03

Minks, I think if you're ok in Epping forest, you wouldn't find Halstead hilly at all- I assume the terrain is fairly similar to Colchester - if you take a look at my blog- you'll see iv'e done Colchester Half Marathon and Orion 15 (in epping forest) earlier in the year.  Colchester was significantly easier - an hour faster despite being only 2 miles shorter...

I do fairly regularly drive through halstead, and I don't think it will be too much of a bother to run- as many people say, undulating is probably the right description.  But then again, when I did London, I didn't think it was completely flat-- there were a fair few undulations in the first 10 miles, although pretty flat afterward.

I have a feeling during the race my endurance will let me down.  Isn't it that your 5 longest runs are supposed to add up to 100?

Mine are 20, 20, 17, 15(orion 15), 14, so I'm quite a way off.  My highest mileage week was 38 when I was hoping to get to 44, but in general have been listening to my body and usually not running is because of it not being a good idea, though lately i have had a few tuesday mornings where I just couldn't be beothered to get up early enough to run before going to work...

Jason, is there any chance you could get it in today/tomorrow, just so you have that extra chance of another couple of days recovery time?

25/04/2013 at 13:18

Welcome Kevin! I think if you click on the non-championship entry button you get a menu on the top left with 'Entry List'.

Jason - I'm doing 18 on Sunday but very easily! I think a lot depends on how you are feeling. Running 20 hard will take a lot out of you especially now it has got warmer. I missed most of the week before last so I asked Steve Smythe from RW and he suggested I did a two week taper and I feel fine with that. Be careful. Remember what I said above - you are more likely to influence in a bad way than a good at this stage.

Minks - I'll PM my number over later today (and to you other guys).

Angela - a lot to be said fro listening to body. I've been the same and not hit the high mileage I was expecting but on the start line in one piece is a decent place to be!

I can't remember any really tough hills to be honest. There are a few longish climbs but not where you really have to change pace too much.

25/04/2013 at 13:53

Angela, respect if you've done Orion.  That was on one of the worst weekends of the year for weather if I recall - but the Orion route is one of the routes I regularly ran through Epping Forest last year/early this year and it's pretty hard I'd say, especially in wet and muddy conditions.  I haven't run in Epping Forest since January because it was just too wet and muddy off the main paths (my running buddy lives in Abridge, grew up in Theydon and knows Epping Forest like the back of his hand, so always take us on mystery tours!)

I did 5 x 20 and 6 x 16 in my build-up to London; longest mileage week was about 47 miles (but I did that 5 times).  DS2, that's good to get the nod for a two-week taper - I've already tapered once for three weeks so think I should get something long in this weekend just to remind my legs what they've trained for.  I'm looking forward to Halstead and would be stoked if I could get a PB after my disappointment in London.  My training went really well so it would be a shame not to reap the rewards.

I've officially entered now!

25/04/2013 at 14:05

I forgot to post the link to my blog for you:  http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/

YAY! You've entered

25/04/2013 at 14:31

If i take it slow im sure i can manage an 18 . i should have enough time to recover from that, right?

im soo bad at the LSR's ive only got up to a 15 in the runnings as been so busy on most sundays and Angela NO way of getting out today or 2moro at all!

Ive done the same as angela in the sense of listening to my body and not pushing it too hard.

my jobs the biggest killer in my routine as im always tired when home and dont really get a full nights rest so it just gets harder as the days go by.

saying that im still looking forward to going out there and doing the marathon no matter what.

plus my running clubs got water stations at miles 14 and 25 so they are incredible motivators 

25/04/2013 at 14:51

Love your blog, Angela - wish I'd done something like that.  It's a really great record of your progress

What's your job, Jason?  You sound a lot like one of my other running buddies.  We were supposed to run London 2012 together (well, in the same race, not actually together as I'm faster than him) but I got injured and had to defer with 5 weeks to go.  He was a nightmare at doing the LSRs without me to push him round, and did very little in the week either!

You will be fine, Jason - you have done more than he did already and he got round London in 4:30 last year even though he had to walk most of the second half.

25/04/2013 at 14:56

Minks im a Motor vehicle Mechanic, not trying to start a sob story or anything as its only myself to blame if i say im not going to go out and run!

I always manage to get out in the week as im running with a mate then the club etc.

Im not worried as i think im very strong willed and will easily achieve a P.B (currently 5:06 for the off road one) 

26/04/2013 at 18:05

Which club are you with, Jason?

I think I've decided on 18 for Sunday rather than 20, although still not fully made my mind up.  Just a bit concerned that with only two weeks to go, 20 might take it out of my legs just that bit too much.  Especially as I have no concept of the 'S' in 'LSR' - most of my long runs for London averaged around 8 minute miles or under, not really slow enough.  But I figured since at the time a lot of my running was done at night when it was too dark to run fast safely, it wouldn't matter if the LSR was fast as I would make up for it by running some of the other runs more slowly.  Actually I just tend to do all my runs too fast to be honest!

Bit fed up today as I just got a parking ticket while my son was at karate.  Put an hour's ticket on the car (expiry time 16:59) and got back to find a penalty ticket issued at 17:03.  GRRRRRR!  Not what I need at the end of what has been a trying week, with marathon disappointment on Sunday and a very poorly hubby for most of the week.

Just feel like I need something nice to happen to cheer me up!

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 18:07
26/04/2013 at 18:22

Argh! Those parking tickets- try to appeal it- sounds like he was waiting around at the turn of the clock to see u not there, which I'm not sure is what they're supposed to do... I would appeal it anyway as clearly u wre not intentionally parking when u shouldn't...

i haven't run since I've been back- the shock of coming back to work too tiring.  Tomorrow I'm run director for Colchester park run, so an early start! Then 4 miles marathon pace, and 12 LSR on Sunday- sounds nice and easy now.... Can remember in january when that seemed hell!  Hope I keep this fitness so I can improve on it

27/04/2013 at 11:15

Damn parking Nazi's! like angela said, appeal that, as they were obviously clock watching! (which is technically making the ticket void)

Im part of (Grangefarmtrotters.co.uk). its my local club and is very friendly and supportive.

Got a split decision to make 2moro as to go and do the LSR or a nice 10mile trail run  (which is still tough mind you )

I think i might just bail on the LSR as im totaly confident to run the 26.2 in a couple weeks, and dont really fancy an injury 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.