Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

521 to 540 of 788 messages
02/05/2013 at 14:18

Kandinsky (Simong)   Race No. 178   Target Time 3:40:00

Minks (Debbie Hughes)  Race No. 523  Target Time sub-3:19

jason wintin race no. 137 Target time: DNF 

Angela Isherwood race no. 125 Target Time sub 4:15 (gold) sub 4:20 (silver), sub 4:25 (bronze)

DS2 (David Sancto) No: 81 target Time Sub 3:19

02/05/2013 at 14:26

Kandinsky - I have, of course, made every error going and have found starting steady to be the best way. Running even pace will have you passing loads in the second half and especially the final 6 miles. I ran 3;44 there last year and passed people all day long by running 1:51/1:53.

I'd been injured after crashing my bike so my longest run had been about 14 miles some 10 weeks before. It's a huge motivator passing people.

Jason - very sorry for you but it was the only decision to make. I'm sure it will all turn out fine but you have to be safe. You won't be in your prime for another 6 years, at least, so plenty of time to run good times once you can be certain you will remain safe. Sounds like you have a great club there - and I'm pleased you told them!

Minks/Angela - i bet the hills looked steep if it was on its side!!!

02/05/2013 at 14:59

For those interested, here is my fundraising page. First event is the Halstead marathon and will include Lands End to John O'Groats bike ride, Abingdon marathon and VLM 2014 (on my 50th birthday!!!). Any donation will be greatly appreciated by the charity and me! Thank you

http://www.action.org.uk/sponsor/davidsancto

02/05/2013 at 16:02

That sounds like some challenge, DS2!  Is there a particular reason you're supporting that charity and doing so many events to raise money for them?  I sense a personal story in there somewhere ...

02/05/2013 at 16:42

DS2 i totaly agree with every decision made. 

Now thats some challenge you've got yourself there i wish you the best of luck with it .

02/05/2013 at 16:52

Minks - I got involved a few years ago and have raised a few thousand on various bike rides. Two years ago we did London to Paris bike ride and thoroughly enjoyed so a friend I met on that trip and I decided to do the End to End.

My twin daughters have autism and I was keen to support a charity that helps fund research into issues related to birth and childhood. Additionally, my sister suffered a still birth with her first child. He would have been 18 this summer so it seemed fitting that I should do something in his memory. Lastly, the charity have just made a big donation into researching the various causes of still birth so it tied in nicely.

thanks for listening

02/05/2013 at 22:42

I'm aiming for 3.59, ideally feeling like I could have gone 20 minutes faster. It's my last long run before Comrades so being sensible is key.  I believe a few Comrades runners use Halstead for the same reason - one of them will be guiding a blind runner towards the back of the field so give them some support if you see them. 

03/05/2013 at 06:28

Welcome Kevin. Yes, I know there is one Halstead runner who runs the course at 6am and then again with the rest of us!

Good luck with Comrades. Is this your first time?

I used to guide a blind runner myself so I'll look out for them.

03/05/2013 at 08:09

Thanks DS - my second, but first up so I still don't know what I'm doing ! The blind runner isn't doing Comrades - just his guide. I've never done Halstead but if it feels like its flat then maybe I have some chance in SA. 

03/05/2013 at 08:17

Hi Kevin Comrades is on my bucket list! You must stay on here after Halstead to let us know how the final few weeks are and how the 'up' course is

03/05/2013 at 08:32

DS2, what a wonderful thing to do in memory of your sister's son and for your daughters.  I ran for Great Ormond Street in 2010 for personal reasons (my sister-in-law's sister lost a 10-week old baby girl to whooping cough) and the whole experience of fundraising for something so close to my heart was incredibly emotional - I distinctly remember shedding a few tears as I crossed Tower Bridge and the finishing line!  I will definitely sponsor you.  How old are your daughters? 

Welcome Kevin.  Respect to anyone tackling Comrades.  It's one of those "would ove to do" things for me that'll probably never happen - I'm also curious to learn whether the 'up' route is tougher than the 'down'!

03/05/2013 at 11:35

Ummm, I just checked the BBC's weather forecast for halstead on 12th May.... 

Max temp ranging from 9 to 20 degrees, 

Sunny Intervals
  • Humidity60%
  • VisibilityVery Good
  • Pressure (Millibars)1023
  • Wind DirectionNW
  • Wind Speed (mph)12

Ummm, I don't like the look of this 

03/05/2013 at 13:57

Minks - when we rode to Paris the organisers did this brilliant speech at the final stop before we set off into the City. it was really emotional. Everyone was there for there own personal reasons and it really brought home why we were there. I've never seen so many grown people wiping a tear away! It will stay with me forever and was one of the reasons I wanted to do another ride.

Since then I have raised money everytime I've done a marathon. I think we all get glib about raising money, especially when some minor celebrity goes out and raises £1,000,000 because they are occasionally on the telly. In truth, running for a cause close to our hearts is a great way of giving something back from the joy sport brings us. I now see it as one of my main motivators!

My twins are 13. We've had a tough time but things are improving. Always look forward!

That's a very sad story about the baby with whooping cough. I can't imagine getting over that.

I'm definitely going to do Comrades before I'm 60!!! And all of the marathon majors, as well. Good on you Kevin. Really keen that you keep in touch and we hear how it went!

04/05/2013 at 11:45

Good luck everyone, good advice about starting steady. They did this great thing at the vlm where you can find out how many people you passed in the last 7k - 868 for me (though 95 passed me). 

I will be cheering on a friend at Halstead, will watch out for you. Havent finalised where but I think Pebmarsh (?) looks a good spot to see everyone twice.

04/05/2013 at 12:12

Angela, don't stress it about the weather.  It's the one variable you can't control, and anyway it's still far too early for a reliable forecast for the day.  It'll be what it'll be -just focus your energy on preparing for the variables you can control, and you'll be fine!

I think my recent London experience has taught me that it's a mistake to invest so heavily in one event emotionally - if it goes wrong it leaves you at the bottom of the barrel.  I'm trying to take a chilled approach to Halstead and above all, enjoy it.

That sounds amazing about the ride to Paris, DS2.  I can imagine you've had some tough times with your daughters.  My sister-in-law's sister and her husband had some very, very dark times but they went on to have another healthy daughter (they already had one who is a little older than my son) and have moved on with their lives - although they still have dark days and obviously you never forget something like that nor ever fully get over it.

I count my blessings every day for my healthy, happy, bright and energetic little boy.  I can't begin to describe how much joy he has brought - and continues to bring - to our lives.  I am very blessed.

Lovely off-road run last night, same route as the other night but in reverse - quite tough as the ground is SO hard.  Was quite surprised to average 7:35 for the run - it felt comfortable and there's no way that the ground underfoot will be as challenging at Halstead (given it's almost all road) so felt quite happy with that.

04/05/2013 at 12:12

Hi susan thats brilliant you can have good bragging rights for that sort of info 

If ive been told correct you can stand in a popular area and see people 4 times in total as its a big figure of 8. dont know where though 

04/05/2013 at 14:04

Ah OK I need to research the route properly to find a top spot and I will post it beforehand. Will have my oldest son with me on Jelly Baby duty unless there are any other special requests? 

Re the weather there really is nothing you can do but curse it on the day.  I ran Brighton a couple of years ago, the official temperature was 23 but I remember seeing 25 on the thermometer at the half way mark. It wasnt fun but I made things worse by going out too fast for the heat and not wearing a hat - madness. Hopefully the forecast  might settle a little over the next few days - I spend hours toggling between sites......

04/05/2013 at 16:42

Susan - there is normally a little Fetch Point

Have done this marathon about 3 times. Hoping to be there to support my club mates that are doing it.

04/05/2013 at 19:23

evening all, went for a Parkrun this morning and managed to do it even slower than marathon pace  was pacing my fiancé, and he pipped me to the sprint finish.  The first and only time he'll ever beat me in a parkrun 

then we went to the wonderful cycle shop recommended by oirish eyes and have botH Come away with spd shoes and clipless pedals ready for our cycle training. Must resist the urge to try them on before the marathon! The chances of me making hard contact with the road are just too high!

definitely the best bike shop I've ever been to oirish, so thanks for the recommendation

05/05/2013 at 11:26

Glorious 11-mile run done this morning through Epping Forest, around Theydon Bois and High Beech.  The paths were lovely and dry, the sun shone and the run felt pretty comfortable despite being a hilly route (we did the 'switchback' part of the Orion 15, for those familiar with the route, and a couple of the other hills in that race too).  Running buddy was struggling but I felt really strong, so pleased with that as there's no way Halstead can be as tough as that route!

Now just need to take it nice and easy for the rest of the week - may do one speedier run on Tuesday, but will keep the rest easy and hopefully have nice fresh legs next Sunday!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.