Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

81 to 100 of 788 messages
06/01/2013 at 16:33

Quite intrigued for the Essex 20 and the Tarpley 20, though I think I might crumble with so much and regular high mileage  Did 4 miles pace, yesterday and 6 miles slow today, and now have a pain in my right shin when i flex my foot  I was doing so well...hopefully its nothing and can get on smoothly with starting hal higdon's plan tomorrow!

I've entered the Colchester Half Marathon (March 17th) and the Orion 15 (March 23), which is featured in the book the World's Ultimate Running Races...

06/01/2013 at 17:05
Hmm colchester half sounds good. Will be a nice split in the training plan as Hal higdon does say so a half in the middle of training

Hope it's not anything serious Angela keep updating on the plan and training don't want anything to upset them

LSR out the way this morning didn't do the whole mileage I was intending as I was running a bit late. Well I say I was running late I just felt like a lie in for once

Sticking to the training plan for 2moro and doing 2-4 miles steady.
06/01/2013 at 18:28
Also good to do a half so u have an idea where to set ur pace for the marathon...

Which Hal higdon plan are u gonna go for? Make sure u study his recommendations on pace for each type of run... I'm pretty sure where I've had trouble in the past is doing high mileage at too high a pace for that volume- the point of all the distance is to create the physiological changes in ur body so u have th endurance for the marathon-
07/01/2013 at 13:27

I'll second that Angela...    ...can't over enthasise enough that as the mileage increases don't stretch the pace too far, even if you're only 23!

Jason, yes you're still young so you can recover quickly and bounce back from injury, but you're an old fogey next to my 5 year old daughter!

My training for Rome is going excellent, long story short, off a tempo run done on friday, going by mcmillan i've improved my marathon prediction by 13 minutes in 7 weeks, putting me only 1-2 minutes behind pb pace with just over 9 weeks training left. And that was off a 6 mile tempo in a 10 mile run, not racing.

So chuffed.

07/01/2013 at 14:13

Glad to see the training is going well. lardarse - that's some improvement in such a short time!

As for me, still carrying a virus but almost better. Managed a steady hilly 4.5 miler saturday and starting my 18 week P&D training plan today. Luckily it starts with a rest day!!!! Into it properly tomorrow with 9 miles including 4 at MP.

07/01/2013 at 16:37

Angela im going to follow the intermediate 1 plan for the up and coming weeks. i might lengthen a few of the runs but not significantly. it looks perfect for what i want to achieve in my first marathon 

LSR's at weekends look nice and liking the rest day on friday

lardarse thanks i wont push it too much the plan looks like one i can follow quite nicely! the two 20 milers will be a challenge but im sure i can work something out!

fantastic on the training then sounds like your going to get that nice PB you wanted!!

david whats the virus? hope its not doing too much harm. 

The plan does say that you can modify bits to suit. im glad in one way as like ive said still competing in the XC season so will juggle the LSR's with races 

07/01/2013 at 17:05

Hurrah Jason, so we're both on Cross training today - we can keep in touch with the plans and motivate each other ... I'm gonna take it easy with a 20 min fast walk around my block with my Barefooters - they're great- I picked them up at the NYC marathon expo, and seem to really help my legs recover if I wear them the day after a hard run - that shin pain has already gone... then follow this with weights.  One of my other goals during this marathon training period, is to make sure my body emulates that of Jessica Ennis.... no alcohol to try for that 6-pack.... we'll see- at least a little weight loss will make me go faster.

DS2 What is P&D? I keep seeing it on these forums and have no idea what it is

07/01/2013 at 17:28

Angela that sounds great im doing the same as you tonight, going for the walk then some home weights .

maybe next year ill give the barefoots a go. That style of running really intrests me! dont want to try too much in one year 

07/01/2013 at 17:51

Hi Angela - P&D is short for 'Pfitzinger & Douglas' Advanced marathing. they were two former international marathoners and they have produced this book. it is really detailed and a lot of guys on here follow them religiously. I am going to give it a go this year as I aim to run Sub 3;15. It's a very detailed read but the schedules are easy to follow. I'm starting the 18 week 55-70 mile schedule today ........with a rest day!!!

I'd strongly recommend buying a copy even if you don't follow their schedules!

I take it you are another living in Essex/Suffolk?

07/01/2013 at 17:53

Ahh, no barefooters for running, just for walking... I tried some Nike frees, but you need to make the commitment to learning to run with the proper style for barefoot to avoid injury, and i'm too lazy for that, so I stick to the Nike Lunar Eclipse for running.  My fiance just took up running and he went out and bought the first pair of trainers he saw... they happened to be nike frees.. so he gets lower leg pain after just a couple miles- can't just be down to zero running fitness, surely?

07/01/2013 at 19:06
And yes, I'm a Colchester girl, born and bred- though only moved back a couple years ago after living in London, Sydney and Oxford...
07/01/2013 at 20:38

Rapidly becoming a serial poster on this forum.... so  I did my walk and a light weights circuit... Walking isn't as boring as I thought- first time I've used a walk for a cross train, but definitely will keep with it.  I cancelled my gym membership recently, as I was only really using it for cross training once a week, so it didn't seem worth paying for.

DS2 how was your rest?

Jason how was your walk?

All set for an easy 3miler first thing... got to make sure I actually get outta bed when the alarm goes at 6 

08/01/2013 at 08:12

Morning all!

Angela im sure that wont be a problem 

i must admit i have tried running in the barefoot style and even say a couple hundred yards you can feel the difference on the legs

The walk was great really easy as you know and got some good looks as i was wearing my running gear . im re-joining a gym (should really as the OH works there lol!) so some cross training days will be better than others! and its always good to get a bit of strength work in!

all set for 3 miles tonight  i cant do the earlys so il be getting mine in at around 6.

David heard alot about the P&D plans and would be intrested in the read  may well have to purchase a copy!

08/01/2013 at 09:20

Morning... 

P&D looks good- I'm not sure I'm quite at the advanced level yet.... this will be my 3rd marathon (could have been 4th if NYC hadn't been cancelled -grrr) and I don't think I've ever got in a training week above 40 miles, let alone 55.  I would love to run that much, but I think there is need for some serious lifestyle changes to give me the time....  When I was at university I was a rower and trained something like 20 hours a week- I loved this- wish I could do it now!  Might download it on kindle for some inspiration...

3 miles easy this morning was good,, though I wish the sun would rise earlier.  Its quite disheartening that 3 out of 5 runs in the week are in pitch black

Which gym are you joining?  I had the problem that there isn't a good one thats both in Colchester and London - I would like to be able to do my easy runs at lunchtime- but gyms are so expensive in London the only one I would choose is LA fitness, and of course that is absolutely packed at lunchtimes, so no good.

So, do we have any race plans beyond Halstead?  I'm wondering whether to try for an Autumn marathon as well, or focus on Halves - in which case, I can't decide between Royal Parks (my all time favourite race), Ealing, Bournemouth, and I think I'm going to do the Bacchus full or half anyway, since it wouldn't be all out running..

08/01/2013 at 12:37

Ive got used to running in the dark  it can be abit tedious but its a nice temperature to run in!

The gym local to me is called Harpers, its joined to a school (Helen romanes in Great Dunmow),  very good though as its got swimming, classes, everything you need really plus P.T if you need it (i do know someone whos is good), oh a sports physio aswell 

As an active member of a running club, i will probably have loads of races up and coming after the marathon! (and before) so ive got plenty of running to keep me occupied 

ive never done a half but will always keep an eye out on events going so i can do them if i fancy!

08/01/2013 at 20:48
3 miles out the way 2nite easy as I expected but its like the calm before the storm as they say!!

Nothing else really to report
08/01/2013 at 21:15
Well done! Do u have a garmin??
08/01/2013 at 21:37
No I don't but hoping to get one soon

I've been looking into the forerunner 110! It will help a lot with pace and timing I suppose, I've usually ran with nothing but love the look of the 110

Do you run with anything?
08/01/2013 at 21:44
I treated myself to all the bells and whistles- garmin 610 just before Christmas- it's awesome- well mainly the online stuff. It comes with a heart rate strap, so u can track anything- lots of charts! Amazing ness!
08/01/2013 at 22:02
That does look nice! I just can't justify spending that ! Plus the OH would go mad
81 to 100 of 788 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.