Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

141 to 160 of 788 messages
20/01/2013 at 21:23
Wish I could upload from the iPad I too ventured out in the snow for some off road frolicking got some brilliant pictures.
21/01/2013 at 17:34
If u check out my blogspot http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 u can see my pics from yesterday

Just did P&D core session followed by P&D weights owweee!!
22/01/2013 at 08:08
Bailed on my run this morning... Too treacherous and the ball of my foot is still sore... Think I'm gonna replace the easy recovery runs with extra strength and core work whilst this ice is still on the ground...
22/01/2013 at 10:20

morning Angela sorry to hear about your foot  hope it gets better soon.

im going all off road whilst the dam snows here (well ice now ) doing easy 3 2nite so not too bad. hopefully club runs still on 2moro otherwise ill have to venture out for a lonesome 5.

hopefully the snow/ice disappears by sat so the 5mile pace session goes well.

got  XC on sunday so the 6 LSR isnt really going to be slow lol but will be fun 

how you finding the plan so far? im actually really enjoying sticking to something structured (well sort of sticking to the miles etc)

22/01/2013 at 10:26

Hey Jason, yeah, I htink the foot thing is too much running in my trail shoes to avoid slipping over in the snow.  Wanna get back into my nice cushiony road shoes.  Been rolling my foot over a golf ball to try and stretch it a bit- seems to have lasted too long to be a bruise.

I'm really hoping this snow disappears soon.

In general, I'm loving the plan too- so far, I really do feel that Im building a great base, and also, its a long enoug build up that if I don't get this week's runs in because of the the snow, I doubt I'd be too far behind if I just pick up from week 4.  6 miles in my opinion is too shhort to do really slow.  I'd be tempted to do a 10k but after the 5 mile pace on Sat that could be hard...

22/01/2013 at 17:42

Can't do it.  Can't go 2 days without running... putting on my road shoes now.. gonna run on the roads and hope I don't fall... Wish me luck!

22/01/2013 at 20:36
Hi Angela how did the run go I ventured out in road shoes but should of put me trails on lol! There was more ice/slush than road...still enjoyed the nice slow plod though.

Just a quick question, are you running Essex 20? In the schedule the HM is meant to be week 9 but the 20's close to that do you think I should just scrap the half and just run the 20 (race pace I hope )

Didn't you mention a half that's coming up soon?
22/01/2013 at 21:06
Hey Jason, it was ok- definitely needed it to work out tightness in my cAlf... Roadies got a bit muddy, but glad I went out there. Relaxed me

Not doing the Essex 20. In the past I really struggle going above about 15 miles so at the moment thinking I don't wanna put the pressure on.

What's the date? I'm doing Colchester half on the 17 march and Orion 15 on the 23rd, so 2 races v close together, so altering the schedule slightly for those weeks.

Hopefully I could still enter last min if I'm feeling good?

I would revert to more experienced runners as to whether u should race the 20- my inclination is that unshould use it as a long slow run, perhaps slow for 15 and push the pace on the last 5 or something?
22/01/2013 at 21:29
Essex 20's on 3rd march, I've been looking at the calendar and don't think I should push it for the 20.
I've got 13 LSR beginning feb, then braintree boggle marathon week after then a XC week after, then another XC after that, then it's the 20 so I'm definitely using it as a LSR

Using the boggle marathon as LSR aswell btw, it's not really sticking to the schedule but I'm sure I can swap sat and Sundays round on XC days

I don't think I can stretch for the colchester half lol but I can see how I feel closer to it. I've never done a half marathon
23/01/2013 at 14:51

Sounds like you have a lot of races going on there!

So, I'm working from home againn todayy- stupid amount of time commuting yesterday made sure of that.  So, I decided to do my 5 miler at lunchtime.  Had tonnes more energy that I do in the evening, so a mile in, I thought I should push the pace on miles 2 and 4- this was of course a good idea until I came upon icy patches, but hey ho, did it anyway.  Now I'm sitting here trying to work, but completely wiped.  Perhaps I should have had a little more to eat for breakfast to fuel such a run...

Shortly after mile 4 my foot felt weird again - I determined its down to my calf, which is still pretty weak after I pulled it last year.  I decided to test this out when I got home, with some calf raises, which is what  I should have been doing to strengthen it, and alas, my left calf is completely useless at calf raises relative to my right one.  So I'll be adding calf raises every day for now whilst the mileage is still low enough that I can cope with the running.  Hopefully it'll strengthen up enough before I get onto the higher mileage weeks...

23/01/2013 at 17:10

yea i know its going to be a hectic month!!

are you one of the many commuters on the news? i see they havent grasped the concept yet of snow in this country like many other foreign countries. 

we go to pieces as soon as we see a flake lol, and yet switzerland and the like keep on going like nothings happened.

im doing some miles tonight as its club night but dont know how many yet as of the weather puts people off. Its turning a bit nippy round here now i think ill have to wrap up 

make sure you go easy on the leg, is doing strength work good on running days? 

luckily im feeling ok at the moment, a slight groin niggle has gone as far as i can tell so its all good

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 17:11
23/01/2013 at 20:26
Heya,

Not much of a new watcher, read it all online, but just looked at greater anglia's website and major disruption again tonight- so glad I didn't go in.

I.m not sure I'd call calf raises strength work... Maybe rehab

How was your club session?
23/01/2013 at 20:27
*news
23/01/2013 at 21:20
Club session done! Only 5 turned out so did a nice slow run!
6miles approx so not a bad one. Must order my garmin lol I'm feeling lost not knowing how many miles sometimes!!

It's actually starting to snow again I'm pretty bored of it now!
24/01/2013 at 21:02
3miles bin and gone went over about on me knee so glad 2moro's the rest day.

Finally glad to see the snows going

Hope alls well with everyone!
24/01/2013 at 21:49
O no!!! Watch that knee like a hawk-ice it!

Well I'm stuck just outside Colchester on the train 3.5 hrs later than I planned to be home as someone decided being in the path of a moving train around 6pm was a good idea! Sooo annoyed, was really looking fwd to the gentle jog followed by steak and watching suits- instead I had crappy fast food and mega delayed train- wondering whether to do the run when I get home anyway, might relax me as I'm pretty angry/grumpy right now
25/01/2013 at 10:10

So up and about this morning, knees fine  must of just been a twinge from running on the ice/slush. plus i didnt really warm up as such, as i was running a bit late! 

hopefully the night went better than you planned Angela. 

25/01/2013 at 14:22

Did my run anyway... very late, very dark, got in from it at 11... watched Suits anyway, and bed shortly after midnight.  So, I really need the rest day today!

26/01/2013 at 18:28

Did my 5 miles pace today, weird as I felt pretty weak just before, but when I was out running i flew!  Actually did a proper warm up, where I jogged, stopped to stretch a bit before starting the run... the few degrees above freezing made me a happy bunny.

Managed an average 8:48 pace (was 9:10 2 weeks ago), with the last mile at 8:22 (which was a bit fast!)  Foot and calf seem to be better too

Ideally I'm setting my target for Halstead at 4:10 with sub 4 for Bournemouth.  Lets hope training keeps going so well!

How is everyone else doing? what runs did we do today?

26/01/2013 at 21:07
Hi Angela haven't run today as just shattered from working sorry excuse I know!!

Feels good to rest the legs, I'm sure 1 more rest day won't hurt.

Good job on the run tonight though really making the difference isn't it? It's strange that its only been 3weeks training aswell im thought it was more when I looked what was coming up soon. Looking forward to the big miles weeks
Looks like ill be keeping with your pace for halstead as I hope to be around the 4mark, who knows if ill be faster on the day, not going to push it though!

Snows finally going now round here as its raining never been so glad to see it!! It's going to make 2moro a good old messy XC

I'm hoping 2moros XC will be a good test for my pace as haven't raced properly since December!!
141 to 160 of 788 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.