Hotel advice

First timer after VLM info

1 to 20 of 38 messages
03/10/2011 at 19:52
Hi all

After several ballot rejections I've finally had an acceptance for 2012. So I'm now trying to sort out hotels and I'm after some advice...

I'm intending to try and stay near Waterloo on fri and sat nights with the family in tow. The theory being that we can leave our bags at the hotel on sunday even after we've checked out so that we can pick them up as we go from the finish towards Waterloo.

How painful is getting across London early on Sunday morning to get to the start?
Has anyone used any wloo hotels that would do families (3 adults, 2 ch) and if so any good/ bad experiences?

How do hotels generally treat cancellations if injury/ illness hits? Is there general policy or can each hotel be different?

Before I hit the phones I thought I'd see what info you wise people had.

Thanks in advance for any help
03/10/2011 at 20:52
I booked my hotel for Brighton via hotels.com and they don't have a cancellation fee, might be worth looking at a hotel via them or other booking sites. There's also a Travelodge at Waterloo, which you might find useful.

Getting across London on the morning of the race will be fine, it's unlikely there will be any major engineering works. You can find routes and transport methods on www.tfl.gov.uk.
03/10/2011 at 21:01
Why Waterloo?....nothing wrong with it but there are better/more interesting places to stay.
03/10/2011 at 21:08
Thanks both.

Waterloo because that's where we jump n the train home and I fancied the shortest distance after the run
Running Postie    pirate
03/10/2011 at 21:12
jogfatboyjog wrote (see)
Thanks both. Waterloo because that's where we jump n the train home and I fancied the shortest distance after the run

boring the fun (for everyone else) is watching you getting home

It doesn't really matter where you stay in London there are pros and cons for every hotel location, as for Sun morning, trains=packed sardines, but great atmosphere.

03/10/2011 at 21:36
Trains to the start from Waterloo East.  No problem - just follow the crowds...
03/10/2011 at 22:43
There is a Travelodge on Waterloo Road, a few minutes walk from Waterloo East station.  Google it and see if they have rooms - I should imagine they fill up pretty quickly.
04/10/2011 at 08:56

For anyone that has run the race already - can they recommend where to stay? My family live in Surrey - so i'm trying to work out where to stay. Is it best to stay in Greenwich the night before? or nearer the finish line? Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels (not specifically around waterloo...)?

cougie    pirate
04/10/2011 at 11:17
i prefer the city centre. Charing X to the start is easy, and then you're closer to the hotel after the finish line for a shower.
04/10/2011 at 11:27
Thanks Cougie - I was wondering about an "easy" route for start and finish.
cougie    pirate
04/10/2011 at 11:41
Trains start at Charing X so you're guaranteed to get on at the beginning. Much better than waiting on a platform along the line as the packed trains go past....
04/10/2011 at 11:46

I live in Victoria and its pretty handy for both start and finish (no. 185 bus to Lewisham in the morning has no crowds at all!)...

Plenty of hotels round that way

04/10/2011 at 13:51

I'd recommend the Strand Palace hotel - was great for me in 2010.

5 mins walk to Charing X station = easy to get to start

10 mins hobble back from the finish.... or longer if you went to the pub like me !

Oh and they laid on a Marathon special breakfast (no extra chanrge) starting at something mad like 5am if you were really keen to fuel up beforehand.

Hope that helps 

04/10/2011 at 14:50
I've stayed in Victoria the 2 times I've ran London, will be again this year! Plenty of choices of accommodation and 10 min walk (30 min with marathon legs) from finish!
04/10/2011 at 19:47
Thanks everybody.

Looks like Waterloo east or charing cross for me then....time to hit the phones and websites
04/10/2011 at 20:50
We have stayed at the travel inn county hall each time and are booked in there again this year.
04/10/2011 at 21:06
Don't forget to come to the Chandos Pub in T.square after the race for the RW drink up
04/10/2011 at 21:11
I stayed in the Travelodge near the Tower Bridge. The Overground Tube station to the start line is a minute walk, and for the marathon route for your family spectating is also about a minute walk just past the Overground station. Plus as well as that, your family can easily catch the Tube to the finish line.
04/10/2011 at 21:17
By overground tube do you mean the Dockland Light railway
04/10/2011 at 21:25
Yea... that overground tube
1 to 20 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.