How many gels?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
ImRio    pirate
07/04/2005 at 12:56
I never know I have mine on. Its the best I have tried!
iron fraggle    pirate
07/04/2005 at 13:02
I'm having a SIS isotonic gel every 4 miles from the start - as Cougie says, better to take loads than run out of energy. I use the High5 belt too - it's ace, but apparently SIS are bringing out their own one any day now...
07/04/2005 at 13:07
I have used the High 5 belt (the one with loads of loops to hold the gels) and SIS gels, but the big drawback for me was the loops on the belt were very small and I had trouble stuffing the gels in. During the race I then had problems getting them out! Definitely need to practice if you're going to use that combination.
07/04/2005 at 13:39
To carry my gels, I've stitched 5 loops of elastic to the waistband of my shorts!

Seems to do the trick. Aimint to take one every 6 miles or so.
07/04/2005 at 13:43
I'll be taking 5 SIS Go gels tropical flavour in my neoprene Nathan 5k belt. That's very comfy and the gels are easy to rip the tops off and swallow. Will be having one every 30mins starting at 30mins.
07/04/2005 at 13:48
I carry mine in the back pockets of my Sugoi singlet
07/04/2005 at 13:49
I tried getting SiS gels into the High 5 belt but as Freemers mentioned, the loops were too small so I didn't buy one........am looking to fashion something (with Petal's needlework skills) out of a triathlon number belt which will hold at least 2 already but I want to take 4........
07/04/2005 at 14:29
As I understand it the body has enough glycogen for 19/20ish miles so we have to make up the other 6/7 miles. 1 mile is about 100 calories which is about 1 gel or 1 lucozade pouch. So we need probably 4 gels and 3 lucozade drinks (I don't drink much when I run so 1 pouch lasts me about 10 miles). But then you are carboloading to increase our stores and you'll have a couple of hundered calories of breakfast in your tummy so I don't know what figure to use. I'm no help at all then.

Anyway, I shall take a gel every 5 miles and drink two pouches which should see me through.

BTW, the high5 belts are great and you can get a sample pack with a selection of gels. Find the ones that work you you - I find some very easy to take (banana) whilst others are sickening(citrus burst)
07/04/2005 at 15:56
I manage to get the sis go gels into the Hi 5 belt but have to squash them in and just have the belt gripping the middle of the gel pouch
07/04/2005 at 16:07
Forgot to mention the additional gel I'll have just before the race (Powerbar, Vanilla or Strawberry-Banana), it's a great last minute top-up to the energy reserves.

Powerbar gels have more energy in them than SIS, though they need washing down with water and I didn't like them during a run.

(.. and Chris C, yes, its very important to think about bounces when you are a Tigger)

jezza
07/04/2005 at 16:10
WTID - yes, that's what I ended up with the SIS Gels in the High5 belt. I've only used it once in a race and my fingers were a little numb as it was a cold day - that was the problem getting them out. Plus I didn't want to stop running and was doing it on the move. But I would definitely use it again as I find the gels really help.

I'm not doing FLM (so have hi-jacked this thread), but typically use one every 4-5 miles on long runs.
07/04/2005 at 16:15
Thanks for all the help everyone

www.justgiving.com/cunny
07/04/2005 at 16:49
Im going to take 4.
Ill have one in between the lucozade stations of I feel I need it.
and 2 ibuprofen for about mile 18
07/04/2005 at 16:57
No wonder I had some much trouble finding the lucozade pouches! Half of you lot are practically taking packed lunches here ;)
07/04/2005 at 17:07
I use Squeezy gels. You have to take with water ( shouldnt be a problem then) and they are very small and light. Ive got an arm pouch which easily fits 4 in
MRP
07/04/2005 at 17:23
one every 30mins,to carry them pin your number both sides and bottom,acts like a kangroo pouch
08/04/2005 at 12:31
I've been using 60ml SIS Go gels recently. However, I can only carry two in my belt. I used to use a smaller sized gel which I needed to take with water (can't remember the name) but Sweatshop had sold out the last time I went to stock up. I hope to be able to pick up a couple more gels at mile 11 when I run pass my family.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.