Injury Query

2 messages
06/12/2002 at 09:59
I wonder if anyone can offer any advice...
I am new to running long distances and have a place in the 2003 marathon. I have been gradually increasing my training and long runs (up to 4/5 times a week with a long run between 90-120 mins). It has been going well and I have felt fine. However, whilst running two days ago, I seemed to 'tug' my Achilles - it doesn't hurt when I walk, unless I am going downstairs - but I am not able to run on it. Can anyone offer me advice on how long to rest for? - I am getting a bit stressed about not being able to run - but obviously don't want to make the injury worse. So far I have cancelled my Thursday and Friday run - I have iced it, and then applied a warm pack (after the first 24 hours). I have been cycling and doing weights as normal - basically everything but the run. I really want to be able to do my long run on sunday.
I would really appreciate advice on whether this is something that I can 'run through' or whether it needs total rest. It is not massively painful, but it 'tugs' and doesn't feel right.
Any ideas?
06/12/2002 at 12:07
I'd suggest that you've got plenty of time to make up for a couple of slack weeks at this point - much more sensible than doing some serious damage that means you can't train for a couple of months!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.