Is a 10k 2 weeks after a marathon too soon?

well, is it?

7 messages
10/01/2013 at 17:08

Hi, I'm doing Halstead Marathon on May 12th, and quite keen on doing the Bupa10k again, but its only 2 weeks after.  Usually after a marathon I've over-rested whilst i figure out what my next goal will be - just wondering whether getting out for  a 10k 2 weeks later will be detrimental/ not really matter, but dont think i'll get a good time, or go ahead, you'll get ur best time yet!

When I did the same race following the London Marathon- so a month later, I managed to set my best 5k in the second half- the first was slow as i ran with some friends, but then ditched them!

cougie    pirate
10/01/2013 at 17:10

Depends how well you recover ?  Youve run marathons before - so how do you feel 2 weeks after ? Some people will be fine, some not. 

10/01/2013 at 17:21

i'm certain you'd be capable of completing the course, but my guess is that you might be short of a PB. But then, who knows; a good rest after your marathon might act like a taper for your 10k and you might storm around. I don't think there's any harm booking it in and either race it or just enjoy the day out, depending how you feel on the day.

10/01/2013 at 17:28

Well I usually have felt fine after a few days, though after Berlin I did have a bit of swelling in my ankle for  abit longer, though I attribute that to the flat/downhill course.

that being said, I never tried it before.  I'll give it a go then.  Thanks  

10/01/2013 at 18:38
Did my 10k pb 8 days after the Mk marathon last year. Definitely doable.
10/01/2013 at 18:41

I did my 10k PB after a 20 mile training run the previous day.  I ws training for my first marathon at the time.

Dubai Dave    pirate
11/01/2013 at 12:43
I have run several PB 10K's 2 to 3 weeks after a marathon, go for it

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.