Is a cooked breakfast OK?

if you can stomach it that is

8 messages
11/04/2008 at 19:37
I'll be in a hotel and I'm guessing I may fancy scrambled egg on toast at 7am.  Good idea or is it porridge or bust??
11/04/2008 at 19:42
Do whatever you've done in training, not a good time to trial a full english! Personally I'll be sticking to porridge but I'll have 3 spoons insted of the usual 2 and a few more dried dates. Then a Go Bar to munch on the train.
cougie    pirate
11/04/2008 at 19:43
If you had it before a long run - then yeah otherwise i probably wouldnt think about it.
kittenkat    pirate
11/04/2008 at 19:44
Well I would Andy but I would also have a few drinks the evening before, so you may not want to listen to me
11/04/2008 at 19:50

Back in 1978 my coach ran in the AAAs Marathon champs at Sandbach. Back in those days (pre London) the marathon was a small affair with only a couple of hundred starters, and he stayed with a local runner the night before.

On the morning of the race (to be fair probably a Saturday 2pm affair), my coach's host asked him what he wanted for breakfast.

Whatever you're having came the response, so, not wanting to be rude, my coach finished a full fry up with double black pudding. He ran out of his skin that day - and still thinks it was the black pudding!

11/04/2008 at 19:57
Interesting.  Just called the hotel and they "don't do porridge" and I don't really want to be taking my own along and then paying a kings ransom to eat it.  Hmmm .. eggs are OK aren't they?
11/04/2008 at 20:04

Andy - I'm going to give a serious answer now (although my coach did run 2:20 off double black pudding........)

In your situation I would have two to four slices of unbuttered toast, and some PSP22 or other energy drink, and then nothing else other than water until 45 mins before the gun. Then nothing.

Today and tomorrow lunchtime is the time for carbo loading, tomorrow night onwards the muscle glycogen should be fully topped up - you're just eating to fill up the tank with whatever you've burnt off.

But if you really want a couple of spoons of scrambled eggs because you like it - then that's fine too!

12/04/2008 at 13:03
that's great thanks MikeB, good advice.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.