is running VLM like planning a wedding?

costs, outfit, accomodation etc

21 to 40 of 47 messages
04/01/2010 at 10:40
So for eternity women moan about childbirth, now you say it's as easy as running a marathon? I would've thought childbirth was like 100x more painful? Running a marathon isn't painful at all.
RZC
04/01/2010 at 12:09

You've definitely struck a chord with me Camlo, but I think it may just be a girl thing!

I've already booked my hotel and checked out the course route to plan the best spots for my OH to watch from. I also had to stop myself from writing my VLM packing list for the trip to London!

Worst of all (I can't believe I'm admitting this), I'm toying with getting out the fake tan a few days before the race so I don't look quite so red and sweaty in the photos.

04/01/2010 at 12:11

I hope you are right lard arse & I'll find the marathon easier than the long labours I've endured before. Not sure running is going to be painfree though? I struggle with my current long runs let alone double the distance.....

oh no- just had a call from my Mum saying cousin has called her wedding off for the week after VLM.... just goes to show all the best plans can fall apart if things aren't 100% 

Edited: 04/01/2010 at 12:13
04/01/2010 at 12:15

RZC- cross posts!!

Thats so funny- I've also thought about how to make myself look presentable to the crowds & in photos.. 

now where's my suitcase & will I need make-up? (only joking!!) 

04/01/2010 at 12:52

Camlo - waterproof mascara?

I got sunburned during Silverstone HM in March, so had no need for fake tan before the marathon.  Though I am vain and did consider it.

And I did wear the mascara.

04/01/2010 at 12:53

It'll only be painful if you don't put the training in, the training is far harder than the actual race. Trust me.

So don't worry about the day, it'll be fine

05/01/2010 at 12:06

Thanks lard arse- I am slightly terrified!!

Checked the post office site again &VLM entry is listed as 'being processed' still, rang them & was politely told it could be anytime but they couldn't say when.

Blind panic about my form not getting there so called the VLM info line to ask what to do- she checked & said form was there......... panic over. I'M IN. 

All the other posts on here seem to be about pace & predicted time so noce to know I'm not the only one concerned about the whole thing!! 

05/01/2010 at 12:20
Paula can run wrote (see)
I'll never forget doing my marriage prepartion course and being asked by another course participant if I had chosen my colour scheme yet!?!  I hadn't because, I didn't give a toss about things like that, I was preparing for marriage not a wedding!!!

What on earth do they teach on a marriage preparation course??

05/01/2010 at 12:21

On the subject of marathons, I'd concur with LA - although I've done only three.

Do the training, turn up, run. 

05/01/2010 at 13:27

Hmm I know it sounds pathetic but

a) do the training - the kids are off nursery with chicken pox, dark when hubby gets home so already feel I'm getting behind. Also not sure what training prog to follow as they are so different but all sound reasonable..

b) turn up - eek have booked a bus trip but still worry about getting to the expo before, how do I know where to go, where are the loo's, what time should I go to bed the night before, when shall I eat breakfast??

c) run- hopefully the easiest part but what if I hit the wall, what if I collapse -will be relying on mudchute supporters !!!!! 

I know - stop fretting !!

06/01/2010 at 08:46
I know what you mean! I find myself thinking about it before I go sleep most nights, visualising walking around the expo, being at the start, things like that.

I've even got it down to deciding what I'm having for breakfast the morning after the run at the hotel.. full english please!! Thats if I can make it as far as the dining area from my hotel room.

14/03/2010 at 10:31
So how are the wedding, I mean marathon preparations coming along folks?
14/03/2010 at 11:20

RFLOL at marriage preparation course!

Our wedding was the bestest day ever, with surprisingly little planning, 70 days from proposal to ceremony.

Marathon training needs a bit longer

Edited: 14/03/2010 at 11:20
14/03/2010 at 11:28
Errrr be careful with the new shoes?

You want to be running in a pair of shoes you've comfortably run some mileage in - including long runs.

Don't want to get to race day and find they're not right. I read somewhere optimal mileage is somewhere just over 100 miles.
14/03/2010 at 12:34
Well i still can't decide how to have my hair on the big day 
14/03/2010 at 20:13

Hmm a lot happened since I started this thread & jitters are seriously setting in!!!!!

JC-Runner how true, how true. Training was going well until new trainers caused my injury. Now I'm only able to run every other day & my longest run in the last 6 weeks has been a whopping 7.65 miles. Whatever happens though I will walk down that aisle... I mean jog down the mall.....

Haven't given my outfit a thought yet-  short/ long sleeve, head band or ponytail, garmin?? 

Haven't tried gels/ drinks out yet as not been on any long runs.

Will be a rush job I fear. 

15/03/2010 at 16:14

How the marathon be like getting married. I haven't been married yet but I'm hoping my wedding day doesn't involve several hours of pain.

I definitely think that it's more like childbirth (also something I also haven't experienced!). You have months of lead-up with each month you become less and less mobile (outside of running) and then the day comes it's several painful and exhausting hours but then you have something beautiful to take home -  a shiny medal! 

My saying at the moment isn't "eating for two" but "eating for marathon training".

Less then 6 weeks away, scary!

15/03/2010 at 16:52

Camlo

i wish you luck, much luck

but becareful - time is running out, if you need new trainers dont leave it too late

and as for trying out new gels or stuff, dont leave that tool late either

dont mess ure day up through it

the last month especially for anyone inexpereinced should be sticking to only what you know

15/03/2010 at 19:22

Camlo: if you decide to use your Garmin, use another watch as well.  May sound like overkill, but if you are going for a time the Garmin will totally f**k you up.  It auto stops when you stop eg go to the loo or whatever, but you can stop this function.  But the real problem is going under a bridge and losing signal.  So be warned!

Try out different outfits from now, so you have a selection that you've tested for different weather's.  Then on the day you know that all work for long runs, and you just have to decide based on what the weather forecast is for the race.

Good luck everyone

17/03/2010 at 20:13

K8- love the childbirth analogy, my mobility is severely restricted now-wake up ok, run, hurt for rest of day & most of the next, wake up ok, run, hurt for the rest of the day....... Wedding planning involves lots of organising & to begin with I felt that the running was actually going to be the 'easy' part. Not being a city girl I still get stressed having to use the tube!

Mick- I returned offending trainers & went back to my original type, only done about 50 miles in them so far but wearing them for all my runs now so hope to have a couple of long'ish runs in them. Will def take a gel on my next run- even if I don't technically need it for the crappy distances I'm doing at least as you rightly point out I will get used to them.

Paula- wanted to have my name on my top but now I'm so slow I'd be embarrassed

21 to 40 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.