is running VLM like planning a wedding?

costs, outfit, accomodation etc

1 to 20 of 47 messages
01/01/2010 at 18:34

Well folks I've come to the conclusion that taking part is going to be as complicated as organising my wedding.

Accomodation- booked into hotel Fri, Sat & Sunday

Transport to London- Bus booked

Transport to start- Same bus

Outfit- not decided but definately need new trainers

Hair- will need a shorter style to cope with all the washing etc

Photos/ video- BBC & tape it

RSVP's - sent off club place form but how do I know they've got it?

Fitness- lost weight before I got wed & suspect I will again in the next 16 weeks ....bye bye boobs

Food- have been sick when used gels before so will have to test a few combinations. 

Lastly schedules- what schedule? 

Anyone else thinking of hiring a marathon planner??

01/01/2010 at 18:46
Lol, great post Camlo
01/01/2010 at 20:31

No.

Train for 4 months.

Drive down to london on the day (70miles) catch the tube to the start.

Run the race.

Come home.

No big deal.

01/01/2010 at 20:49
What Lard Arse?? - no nerves, no wondering if you've bitten off more than you can chew, no fretting about the weather..... oh gosh maybe it is just me
01/01/2010 at 21:03

No, it's not just you

I've already started writing lists....Started stashing away compeed patches...looking at the course map.

Being generally obsessive.

01/01/2010 at 22:04

I'd settle for "generally" obsessive. 

My mum in law was telling us all about a trip to Norway she's got planned, it sounds fabulous, a real holiday to remember.  She leaves on 26th April.  Guess what my contribution to the conversation was

02/01/2010 at 09:34

No, no nerves before a race, certainly not one 4 months away! 

I'm slow, so i'm not likely to win, so why worry? And it's not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th etc marathon. The only time i've been nervous before  a mathon was when i've turned up injured, and wondered if i'd make it to the end, i always have though.

02/01/2010 at 10:28

I can see the similarities Camlo, for a girl

for a bloke it probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave the 4 months pre VLM all to your better half apart from getting p*ssed with mates the night before (or maybe a whole week 2 weeks n advance, in Spain), then turning up on the day in clothes chosen by Mrs (inc new shoes).  Some might of course say that's not the ideal way to prepare for marriage either  

good luck with it all

02/01/2010 at 11:27

Absolutely Jezza- nor to drink champagne for breakfast........

I'm so nervous, this is a huge thing for me, never run over 17 miles before or raced over a half distance. I live in rural wales & panic that if I use the tube I'll get on at the wrong side heading the opposite direction & panic that I will get lost at the finish or lose my chip, or get stuck in a loo....... 

02/01/2010 at 12:02

I must admit I did think about the traditional pre-race haircut this morning.

I wonder how many brides-to-be have ever sat in the chair the day before, as I will, and say "Number 2 all over please. Big day tomorrow!"

02/01/2010 at 12:06

If you sent your club place by recorded delivery you can check to see if they received it.

02/01/2010 at 12:18
oooohhhhhhh nnnooooooooo- took your advice Tracey & checked status of my application. Post office says it's being progressed through their network......... now that's like waiting for my marriage licence!! Flippin hope they get it there soon as cut off date is the 8th.... aaarrrrrgh
02/01/2010 at 17:38

Mmm wondering whether to get t-shirts printed up for Team Spinkletoes.

In the style of a hen party. Chances are hubster won't want to wear pink sparkly cowboy hat though.

02/01/2010 at 21:06
I'm definately with you on this one.  I'd also compare it quite strongly to pregnancy - particularly the bit where you can think of nothing else other than the imprending bit day and you talk about it so obsessively that you bore everyone around you to tears  so have to seek out other likeminded people to obsess about it with.
02/01/2010 at 23:59
I never think about the impending day in pregnancy, only the impregnating day.
03/01/2010 at 08:42

LMAO you are so right Camlo.  The worrying thing is I think most people on here plan and train better for the marathon then they do for their wedding.

I'll never forget doing my marriage prepartion course and being asked by another course participant if I had chosen my colour scheme yet!?!  I hadn't because, I didn't give a toss about things like that, I was preparing for marriage not a wedding!!!

Spinks - defo go for your own shirts, can I put my order in now

03/01/2010 at 12:21
I think running a marathon is like childbirth........  you go through months of anticipation, couple hours of pain on the day and you never think they'll be an end to it.  You cross the finish line, get all excited, can't walk properly for days after........................... then a year later you go in for another!
03/01/2010 at 17:22

Lol- there won't be anymore weddings or babies for me but *perhaps* another marathon if this one goes ok.

Just spent the night in hospital with my youngest who has bad chicken pox- good job it was ok, all I could think about was that I was supposed to be startting my schedule this week..... what happens if the kids are ill on VLM weekend- would I be able to leave them & still concentrate???

03/01/2010 at 19:37
Camlo - don't worry about the kids being ill on the day........ Think of it as a positive..... it'll make you run faster so you can get home quicker 
04/01/2010 at 08:47

can definitely identify with the childbirth analogy.

ran it in 2001 as was 30 - felt i needed to run a marathon at some point. was a one-off. was a real struggle but i did it. was an amazing experience crossing the finish line - v proud of self. then couldn't walk for a week. was in agony. never again.

entered the 2002 ballot as soon as it opened!

agree with LWJ - let other people deal with any problems on the day - i always get my Mum to come up as well so that Mr G has back up. then i don;t think about them until i join the mobile phone frenzy at the end and try and speak to them.

1 to 20 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.