Is VLM a good 1st marathon?

21 to 22 of 22 messages
Pethead    pirate
15/09/2012 at 08:26
Should Av Run Quicker wrote (see)

My firs mara was VLM, it's fantastic, you'll love it. Forget what your HM time is, it's a completely different beast. There's no reason why you shouldn't make it your first.

However, you will not run a 2.39 off a 1.20. That's an odd race time predictor you're using. Even say a 2.47 will be tough unless you suddenly turn in a sub 1.17 HM.
Key is to set a time (probably 2.55) and then stick to it, period. It's so easy to get carried away and go for a faster time as the first 13.1 miles will feel like you're walking.

I was down as pen 3 but managed to sneak into pen 1 and had a clear race, but they've really tightened up on this.

It's not that odd, the predictor didn't say 1:20 HM = 2:39 M, that was predicting from 5K and 5M times. Apparently 1.20 HM = 2.47 M. As for HM, I ought to be a good couple of minutes quicker at Bristol this month if everything goes to plan, but even a new PB doesn't mean I need to be too ambitious when it comes to the full distance! And thanks for the advice on pens.

17/09/2012 at 14:32

Hhhmmm interesting thread, it seems to be suggesting that if you're a slower runner, 3hrs plus, then you may as well not bother running London, and the slower you are the worse it gets. This certainly tallies with my two London experiences! I didn't enjoy either of them, too many people, can't run you're own race, speed up, slow down. So maybe all of us 3hr plus runners should just boycot it, and leave London to the sub 3's, charity runners and fancy dress brigade?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.