Is VLM really a "great" marathon?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
05/10/2012 at 12:24

I don't fancy London. Have done a couple of quiet marathons and much prefer nipping behind a bush for a quick pee than queuing up for ages to hover uncomfortably in a portaloo where someone's already managed to crap on the seat!

Did Loch Ness for the second time last weekend, and it was fab!

Though I suppose it depends if you're a runner who enjoys massive support from the crowds or actively dislikes it. I much prefer running round a quiet course with one or two bubbles of support. Really don't fancy being shouted at for 26 miles...

05/10/2012 at 12:38

I loved running New York alot more than London. Far too busy in London to run properly. New York has a really good vibe before, during and after in the city. Choice between london and NY, NY wins by miles.

London has got really good organisation, good crowds. Alot more charity runners doing crazy things. Get charity runners in NY but it seems dont get the charity carrying fridges etc. 

05/10/2012 at 22:39

Yes i would say it's a great marathon & certainly second to none for atmosphere.Plus points for me is the build up to the event, staying in London on a mini break, the Expo & making your way to the start with thousands of others.Negatives would be that too many seem to be using it has a  "be seen" event rather than a running event & the course is a bit drab, in large parts but all in all it's something special.

08/10/2012 at 17:21

I would love to run London, but have also found so many others. I have just been rejected for a second time from VLM. Last year I ran Manchester which was my first marathon but still a marathon. On more than one occasion I was asked, is it as long as London grr, could not believe it! I am now deciding between the Marathon of the North or Brathay Windermere for my 2013 marathon. I would appreciate any feedback from forum members who have run either of these, thanks!

09/10/2012 at 14:12

I have done 10 marathons so far

London Marathon x 3
Edinburgh Marathon
Paris Marathon
Robin Hood Marathon
Barcelona Marathon
Shakespeare Marathon
Liverpool Marathon
Chester Marathon

In order i will put them as

Paris - Loved the city and course, champs elysees, Eiffel Tower etc.

London - Loved the atmosphere, tower bridge and mall. - did set a PB here at one time

Barcelona (Was ill on this marathon so hard to remember the great sites on route)

Chester (PB here) - (Did this sunday, great organisation, course etc)

Liverpool - Good course, loved running through tunnel, Sefton park seemed to go on forever - did set a PB here at one time)

Shakespeare (Shakespeare being two laps puts it at bottom for me but would still recommend -  - did set a PB here at one time)

Robin Hood (Great first half through city but didnt like the lake - did set a PB here at one time)

Edinburgh (Had a nightmare on this my fault but went off to fast and didnt like the out and back when i had blown up, seeing for miles ahead and no site of turning round plus not really run in Edinburgh you are straight out of the city)

I'm not too bothered about crowds etc but i love running through citys than country roads but to be honest i like to run any marathon.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.