Kingston breakfast run

7 messages
10/02/2010 at 12:10

I am running the VLM and have a couple of half marathons planned. I have entered the Kingston Breakfast 16 miler 2 weeks before the marathon. My question is, I am planning to run this at my VLM planned pace to see how it feels over a longer distance than most of my tempo runs. Does this make sense or is it too close the main event? By the way my VLM target pace is 9m/m.

Thanks any guidance much appreciated,

Marc

10/02/2010 at 13:15

Marc

I am doing as well, but aiming for Edinburgh.

My view would be to aim at mara pace in this one. It is far enough away to recover. But def no quicker - last year I did Cranleigh quicker than mara pace and was certainly a bit slower in London as a result. So 16 miles I make 2-24.

11/02/2010 at 10:44

Great thanks for this, it is just finding the right balance between hard training and completely knackering myself!

Anyone else have a view?

11/02/2010 at 12:10

I'm doing this as well before VLM. My aim is to run it about 30-45 secs slower than my marathon pace. My goal is not to achieve a good time for this but merely get into the swing of racing conditions for a long run.

12/02/2010 at 10:25

It was on my training schedule from NIck in last year's lucozade super six programme.  I ran it at my FLM pace quite comfortably - though it is a *much* easier race to run than FLM becuase its so flat and also because its not too busy.

We had a glorious day for it last year, hope it is as kind for you

12/02/2010 at 10:26
Oh and get there in plenty of time - parking was a total killer last year and people arriving not long after us were getting channelled into an already full multistorey car park and getting stuck.
14/02/2010 at 20:18

AGREED parking was a nightmare last year !!!

I ran this last year and I aiming to do so again. I ran a lot quicker than my marathon pace but wanted to test my endurance in a race environment.

The course is flat and not too busy so an excellent opportunity for a PB just beware the bicycles on the towpath. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.