Knee problems

1 message
16/03/2012 at 23:31

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm running my first London Marathon this year. I have completed a half in October and have just done the Adidas half at Silverstone. A couple of weeks ago I went to get new running shoes, figuring that mine were the wrong size and damaging my toes. I was told at a running shop that I over pronate and was recommended some supportive shoes (Asics 2170). They felt fine and were good for short runs. Since I have begun long runs in them I have had pain on the outside of my knee extending to my groin and after Silverstone the arch of my foot felt sore. I guess that maybe my knee has grown used to however my feet normally hit the ground and the support has changed that angle. I know that these shoes will probably be better for my knees in the long run, but I can't train for the VLM properly if I'm in pain. Am I better to go back to unsupportive trainers for this event, and then slowly condition myself to supportive shoes from then on, or should I stick with the new shoes?? Having just spent £100 I can't really afford on them I'd like to wear them for more than a couple of weeks but really don't know what is best!

Lora

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.