Lochaber Marathon 2012

discussion's about this years Lochaber Marathon

141 to 160 of 197 messages
24/03/2012 at 19:06

I am tapering, though maybe not as much as I should be.  13 miles tomorrow, 8 tomorrow week, then a rest week(end) and then just a pootled parkrun on 14th to take advantage of being in Scotland.

24/03/2012 at 20:51
Did a Half mara time trial plus 4 mile cool down with Bella RR as my last long run. Got a 1:23:29 PB, aiming for sub 3hr but have to be realistic!

Will see hope the taper goes!
25/03/2012 at 11:00

Hello all - it is suddenly seemin a lot closer.  Last LSR (20-21 miles) for me later today.  Still feeling the strains from last weekend; physio has blamed it on my glutes rather than the hamstrings - a bit stiff but we will see how it goes today.  My taper starts tomorrow - slightly complicated by being on holiday in Mull for a week from next Saturday - need to find a 13 mile reasonably flat and safe route on single track roads with lots of holiday traffic - any suggestions welcome!

25/03/2012 at 12:09
Re: tapering-I've decide that usually I don't do enough running during "taper"- it's usually more of a "full stop!" this time I will actually try to do a bit more. (especially as I nver really got up to planned peak milage in training, so I'm not as tired as I "should" be.
25/03/2012 at 12:27
I usually go for last long run @ 3 weeks to go; 13 miles easy @2 weeks to go and run for an hour @ 1 week to go.  On a 3 runs a week programme - already there is less to ease back from so I keep doing my two midweek sessions (1 tempo and 1 intervals) although ease back a bit on effort until the last week when I barely run at all - usually too busy getting paranoid about strains, pulls, colds, viruses etc etc. I also find it easy to stick on a few pounds during the taper which I could do without.
25/03/2012 at 20:27

Did 20 miles in 3 hours early yesterday, well before the mercury hit the dizzy heights of 21 degrees. Apart from a couple of nasty blisters I seem to have come through it unscathed. Despite my pitiful training mileage, getting to the start line now looks like a real  possibility. Not sure whether to start the taper now or put in another 20 miler next weekend. The sensible thing to do would to start winding back now, but we'll see!

Glad everyone else seems to be getting in good shape. Some excellent half marathon times being posted.

Here's hoping the weather is a bit more seasonal in 3 weeks time!

26/03/2012 at 23:08
Simon - glad to hear your now feeling more positive - difficult decision re-taper; let's hope the rather unseasonal weather doesn't hang on until the 15th.  I did Paris last year when the temperature was in the mid-20s and suffered badly (although not as badly as many others in the last few kms).  I had hoped high temperatures wouldn't be an issue in Fort William in April. 
27/03/2012 at 17:43

There certainly has been a problem with hot weather once in the last 5 years, but I think we'll be back to usual dreich scottish conditions by then.

Little bit of faster running for me this morning- just to prove that the taper has started! No mor eslow plodding wah-hey! ( except the 16miles next weekend!)

31/03/2012 at 10:33
10 miles yesterday evening in much cooler conditions. Feeling tired today but plan to do my last LSR tomorrow morning - 14 miles should be enough. Then start to wind down. Feel a bit guilty about tapering considering the lack of mileage I have completed. Another 4 weeks would be ideal, but I guess very few get to the start line having completed a perfect training plan. And my blisters hurt like hell. Why do we do this???
31/03/2012 at 13:34

Decided that 16 miles today would be silly, did 13miles, with middle bit at planned race pace - I'm having trouble finding a steady pace, and kept going up to more like half mara pace.....then I was knackered, never mind. Realy must rest a bit now, legs still feel rough.

I think just a few short runs at race pace or faster , nothing longer than an hour from now.

Just looked at my stats, compared to PB at this distance, on Fetch anaylsis thingy- unless I do less than 1 miles in the next 2 weeks, my mileage will be higher than previously , so perhaps my trainig hasn't been as awful as I thought!

Positive thoughts, everyone.....don't let the taper wibbles set in!

31/03/2012 at 13:55
Too late. I have a fully fledged case of taperchondria.
01/04/2012 at 15:01
Did my 14 miler this morning at a nice gentle pace, but it felt anything but easy. Very unconvincing, and I was totally exhausted at the end. mmmm. Must be the ridiculous ramp up in mileage over the last 3 weeks. Now for two weeks of rest and we'll see what happens at Fort William. Very apprehensive now, but nothing to lose. Except my sanity. And my health. And my pride....
01/04/2012 at 15:05

I'm also hoping that the reason it felt so bad yesterday was the accumualtion of fatigue from trainig- the taper WILL fix that .....................I hope!

Starting to think about my race kit for the day- weather looks like it will be cooler by then, but I've never needed anthing more substantial than running vest, 3/4 leggings, arm warmers, and a hat to actually run in. 

Hope we're not going to end up running through a snow drift!

01/04/2012 at 16:00
Did an uncomfortable 12 miles with a tight hamstring!! That's all i need with 2 weeks to go!!! Hopefully taper will sort out any niggles!
06/04/2012 at 16:21

current forcast for fort william next weekend

2degress, feels like -4, 19% chance precip, 20 mph northerly wind!

Edited: 06/04/2012 at 16:22
06/04/2012 at 16:55
Ugh!
06/04/2012 at 18:18

A lovely Scottish Spring day. Shorts and vest it is then...

06/04/2012 at 18:29
Can handle the cold and the rain - it's the wind that will be the problem!!

What are the chances on it being a tail wind for 26miles?!
06/04/2012 at 18:39
Don't think I've ever had a tail wind. It always seems to be right in my face. Maybe that's because I run so fast. (I wish....)
06/04/2012 at 18:46

I think it might be reasonably sheltered from a northerly, as the road goes along the north side of the Loch, and there are hills north of that.

I might re-think what I was going to wear, though- add gloves, ear warmers, maybe switch to a top with sleeves!

141 to 160 of 197 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.