London 2008

Sub 3:30 Anyone

2,401 to 2,420 of 2,746 messages
14/03/2008 at 11:50

AA I ran Reading aswell, though not a fast as you, so don't be so down.  Sounds like more important things at the moment

14/03/2008 at 12:29

RFJ - have been thinking of you and your mum since Sunday.  I know you said these forums help, so please feel free to 'use us' as you wish. 

RFJ I drove past you on my way home (sorry dont want to sound like I am taking the mickey or anything - I did fly off as had a footie game to get to) and you looked to have a comfortable running style.  My friend finished the same time as you - yellow vest - Barton AC but she looked knackered, so well done.

CG - thanks. I am feeling confident at the mo.  My stomach is my only concern.  I have come to the conclusion that Lucozade has a bad effect on me.  Even if I do a short run I end up in the bushes.  At EH20 I just sipped water at the stations and I never had a problem.  I am thinking of just sipping water in London, not carrying my own drink and relying on jelly babies.  Any comments on a 'not very pleasant' subject?

14/03/2008 at 12:49

Thanks JD, very kind of you, and thanks all for the comments.

I think that you friend was just behind me (ellen or elien I think on her vest). as for jelly babies... was given some at the last water station, had to spit them out as went all gluppy in my mouth...... what works for one dosent alway work for others.....

Just backed up yesterdays run with a 10m, no way was i going to do a long one, so that wont happen this week, but have got a 10k on sunday so some speed, so will make a change.

15/03/2008 at 12:41

Albee - Good luck with the recovery - Nice to have the encouragement from the masseur - hold him to his word

Speedy recovery to all on the bench.

How's the traning going on all?

8 steady miles for me this morning, felt ok @ 7:50mm.  Taking it easy for the rest of the day so ready for LR in the morning.

15/03/2008 at 12:43

RJF - Sorry to hear your sad news, take care and stay safe.

I have had a number of injuries this year and now thing are looking much better, I will be at Blackheath on the 13 April and have now identified what has been causing the problems that I have been having.

I think a sub 3:30 is now out of my reach because of some training that I have missed, will be running between 15m - 20m on Sunday morning. 

15/03/2008 at 13:06
AA -   Yes I've had a 'down' week due to work , but its over and I feel good again            did you see my post about cycling to the Mad Stad last Sat to watch Royals v M City ?           56 miles on bike there  and back instead of a 20 mile run.   
  • This week I've cut down , my body said enough (not muscularj ust general stress ) . I now feel great agin for having a 'light' week and looking foward to 1/2 marathon in th eForest of Dean tomorrow.  Its good to let your legs completely recovery sometimes . The last bit of training I did was a warm up session in the gym on Thursday .
  • I was just going on a 5 mile warm up run just now and its just started tipping down after a  mild spring like morning .    .... still I will still go after the rugby ...  . I had dug two rows of allotment does that count as crosstraining ?  
  • On the subject of energy drinks  I use the Aldi 'explosade  drinks on my longer runs . Same formulation as Lucozade sport  but only 1.79  for  6 x 500 ml .   Ginger bears for me ! (see earlier post !)  Just sorting out my transport from Streatham (daughters house) S London to Black heath for the start .  
15/03/2008 at 15:10

Great to hear from you AA. Looks like you have your hands full at the moment. Great1/2 mara runs. I was at Reading and managed to get under the 1.40...by 3 secs. Happy as training is sporadic at best.

Keep your head up RFJ. Your doing an amazing job!

Drk. Anything thats not sitting down MUST count as cross training....please!!!  Looks like is all smooth and control in camp CT.

Did my 20 this morning. First run since the 21 last Sunday as knee has been a real pain on all fronts. First 11 miles felt good. Lots of hills which I worked hard at. Last 9 miles were a real trial and the legs felt so tired. Can really tell that I have missed the mid week interval runs. Completedi n 2:47 so not too happy. Good news is the knee hurts but not as much so the plan is now to get th mid week runs in and cut back on the long ones. Probably aim for 16-18 next weekend.

Keep running

15/03/2008 at 16:47

Thanks for all your welcome backs!!

Drk - I was there - 1st time I've seen them win all season - felt great!!! I share the season ticket with Mr AA -(whose in Swayers camp as a Leeds fan!) and we take our son. Hey, we had a good start today at Liverpool, but too much too early by the looks...

I managed my 20 miles yesterday - albeit on a treadmill - still counts though, I hope, and is great mental training. Legs feel fine today. But it was bloody boring!

Swayer - well done on your 20. All the hard runing at the end of the long runs is what gives us strength during the marathon. It hurts - but we know we'll get there and finish.

CT, you don't half put the mileage in - I'm just jealous. Good luck with the long one tomorrow

No sign of the puppies yet - but think it'll be in next night or so...

15/03/2008 at 17:31

At least you have seen Reading win, Would love to see Fulham win (even on the TV.......) we have the blue half tomorrow, no same old probaly and champoinship football next season (we might win a few more games then)......

Rest day today, then Eastleigh 10K tomorrow, so no long run this week.

Good 20s Swayer and AA, Swayer, your 2:47 beats anything I have produced yet, well done.

16/03/2008 at 10:31
This morning 16.02m @ 8:42 pace in 2:19:22 in very wet conditions.
16/03/2008 at 12:59

Good efforet theer Geoff.

Eastleigh 10k for me, 41:06, over 2 mins quicker than stubbington in Jan plus a neg split 20:46 / 20:20, one happy RFJ.

16/03/2008 at 13:51

Well done Geoff and RFJ. Was thinking of doing the Eastleigh 10k as local but just didn't get around to it.

6 mile recovery trot this morning after yesterdays 20. Nice and steady at avg of 8m/m. Legs and thighs felt stiff and tired and not helped by the rubbish weather. Seemed to spend most of my time jumping over the puddles and avoid falling in to the odd swolled river.

JD - Your boys gave our local boys a bit of a spank yesterday!!!!

Just heard from some freiends running the Rome marathon today. One in on 3:43 and one in on 4:07. No sign of the third yet  Sounded warm!

16/03/2008 at 17:19

Well done all especially Geoff & RFJ

Bath half thios morning. Few hiccups on the organisation front. Not sure whoes fault but teh race was delayed by an hour (about an hour before it was due to start). Apparently some cock up with park and ride down to council probably. Meant hanging around in a really muddy (it was muddy two hours before 10,000 people walked over it) field with few tents and very cold. Luckily meant rain had stopped when we actually started.

Good flat course and went off too fast. But kept going to see how far I could go. Emm it was all the way and surprised myself with a 1:27:42 (awaiting confirmation) which is around 10 minutes faster than my PB - but have only ever run two halfs before!

Looking good for FLM now... 

16/03/2008 at 17:40

Some good times being logged.  RFJ great run there, congrats on the neg split.  Keith L - Cracking 1/2M time there - are you aiming for sub 3:15?

18 easy pace (8:24mm) miles for me this afternoon at the end of the heaviest week in the whole programme - really had to grind them out & glad its over.  HR was nice & low (125) but was running on tired legs so did not feel easy.

16/03/2008 at 18:05
20 miles for me today at Hemel Hempstead -  nicely organised friendly training run - 2.53 but that included 7 minutes waiting to get on the tow path at the beginning and a fair amount of waiting for friends, so not too disheartened.
16/03/2008 at 18:08

That's excellent times everybody, looking good for next month.

I ran Fleet Half this morning, but it was very windy and not really condusive to fast times. The start area was so muddy and flooded that I only just made the start with about 2 minutes to spare and I would think there were plenty behind me who would still have been making their way when the race started. Thankfully however the rain stopped a few minutes before the start. Not sure exactly what time I did as I accidentally hit stop on the Gramin rather than lap at the 2 mile point (never saw the 1 mile board), and then didn't notice I'd done it until mile 4 (never saw the 3 mile board either), so I only recorded 11 of the 13 miles. I'm pretty certain though that I'll have got a new PB (around 1:30:26 if my calculations are correct) - maybe if the last 2 miles hadn't been into the the wind I would have broken 1:30, but I really struggled to speed up into the wind. Can't complain though given that I've barely run for a month, and the good news is that at the moment my foot seems to have had no adverse reaction. All in all a very satisfying outing

16/03/2008 at 18:50
botf, that's really good, especially with your time off running recently. 
16/03/2008 at 19:00

Thanks Chieftan - not sure still main aim is 3:30 but may revise upwards slightly. But dont want toblow it over those last 6 miles

Sounds liek a hard run BOTF well done

16/03/2008 at 20:36
Thanks guys, official time was 1:30:23. Very happy.
16/03/2008 at 20:42

Well, that's me out.

I picked up an achilles injury (achilles tendonitis) running up Lion’s Head in Cape Town a few weeks back.

Aggravated it further running a 1:37 half at Brentwood last Sunday.

I’ve had physio, etc and a week off but it’s no better, so I will defer until next year.

May have an USS tomorrow to make sure I don't have an "at-risk" tendon (degenerative cysts/clefts).

I don't feel too bad about it. I've ran the last  5 London Marathons without mishap, and I'm 44 now, so I'm fairly lucky!

NYC perhaps?

Good luck to the rest of you and see you next year.

Tony 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.