London Marathon - transferring place

1 to 20 of 36 messages
30/09/2013 at 13:39

A few of us in the family entered the ballot and just myself and the mother-in-law got accepted.  I'm not keen on rooming with the m-i-l the night before and my wife is mad keen to do the VLM so I wondered if I'd be able to transfer my place to my wife.  On the form I got asked to verify my details so could I inform them of a change in details (i.e. sex/name/dob - address still the same).  If this can't be done "officially", does it happen unofficially...i.e. what's to stop me just picking up my number and chip and then giving it the wife on the day.  

cougie    pirate
30/09/2013 at 13:41
You cant change details - its to stop people profiteering by selling them on.

You could pick up the details and then your wife could run - but if you got found out you might get banned. Are women's numbers different from men's ? I can't remember.
30/09/2013 at 13:50

lets be honest though, they arent going to throw you in jail ....... just give the chip to the wife and go for it.

30/09/2013 at 14:03

The worst that can happen is she will get disqualified, and you both get banned from future VLMs.

However, you're not likely to get found out, and unless you wife is a top distance runner, she's not likely to cause a problem with the men's placings.

She will have to run under your name, but that may well be half-right, anyway!

30/09/2013 at 14:13

If you can just change the first name on your form?  so that's right then if she gets people to look at results just blame it on virgin saying yeah silly sods put M not F

cougie    pirate
30/09/2013 at 14:14
You have to collect the form with your passport or driving licence - so they wont match if you change the name.
30/09/2013 at 14:15

Ahh

30/09/2013 at 14:15
cougie wrote (see)
You have to collect the form with your passport or driving licence - so they wont match if you change the name.

Kurt ....... how much do you look like your wife?

cougie    pirate
30/09/2013 at 14:16
You could change your name by deedpoll - but its getting a bit messy now - and the sex will still be wrong.

UNLESS - the ultimate sacrifice ?
30/09/2013 at 14:19

cougie ........ you mean ........ 'the crying game' solution?

cougie    pirate
30/09/2013 at 14:35
Sssshhhh - spoilers !

(starts polishing secateurs)
XX1
30/09/2013 at 14:37

The m-i-l is no oil painting then eh 

XX1
30/09/2013 at 15:54

You can just say your going to... but then after london marathon change your mind.... slightly complicated i agree.... but that might work!

30/09/2013 at 16:16

We don't know what security measures will be in place yet at Registration. If they start issuing wrist bands at the expo when you collect the number then it is a no go as the wrist band can't be removed without ripping it.

See Berlin Marathon for example where this was brought in this year. Don't do anything drastic to anyones anatomy before this is known.

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 16:17
30/09/2013 at 16:26

That's what sellotape is for!! the wrist band not fixing anatomy issues...... Unless it's a little cut and your really busy, then sellotape is great for that as well

30/09/2013 at 16:35

They do say if your name or any other details are incorrect, circle error and return.. I'm sure that they do not mean a complete change but could be an intersting test case!

cougie    pirate
30/09/2013 at 16:40
So the error would be sex, name, date of birth etc....

They'd just cancel the entry completely in that case as its clearly not an error and someone swapping.
30/09/2013 at 16:42

The simple answer is share a bed with the mil and just enjoy it

No seriously, you cannot transfer places, but if you want to take a chance then it's not the worlds biggest fraud ever is it... Messing around to much with the form and it starts getting silly. Would be embarassing if your PB was actually ran by your wife.... so if she beat your pb you'd have to run another marathon to beat it.

30/09/2013 at 16:45

Just write to the organisers saying someone has offered you £500 for it and would it be alright to abuse the system

30/09/2013 at 16:51

The system is open to abuse after the number has been collected at the expo (as I say, unless they go for the wrist band approach).  You can keep the runner using your place invisible by running as a pantomine horse with the m-i-l.

If they do introduce wrist bands this year then I'm sure, running with the m-i-l,  it will be a good bonding session for you both, and you will talk about it for years to come.

1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.