London Marathon 2012: Runners and Supporters

221 to 240 of 918 messages
21/02/2012 at 19:44
I am running again this year (lunatic) and will definitely need some support!
21/02/2012 at 21:12
Hi All
Sorry not been around much been struggling with a bad niggle so who know maybe attempting to jump over to otherside of fence and support, but will admit I wanna run it. Sorry to be bit thick but what's Mudchute?
21/02/2012 at 21:18
I bought my train tickets to come down as a Mudchute supporter this evening (pretty bargainous they were too, this far in advance) - really looking forward to shouting abuse at you all
21/02/2012 at 21:20

Hi folks

In 2010 I went to the expo and dropped of my body weight in jaffa cakes and jelly babies...

How come on the day I never saw anyone

Was really disappointed how could I have missed everyone?

21/02/2012 at 21:39
Mudchute is actually a station on the DLR.  It's at roughly mile 17 of VLM.  RW (for that read Sister Bad Habit and Tickled Pink) organise a support station for jaffa cakes, jelly babies, hugs, kisses, cuddles or a gentle kick up the ass
21/02/2012 at 21:51

Strangely it's quite easy to miss when you're running as by 17 in your mind is beginning to get a bit spaced out .... or at least mine was.  Just after the water station around mile 17, same side as the water station.  There are balloons, there is a banner.  I wanted to put in one of these stinger things you see on cop shows to slow people down but apparently that might be a hazard.

There are people lining the route all the way round so we don't really stand out from the others Flo Po ... it's just a case or remembering where to look

21/02/2012 at 21:57
Ah cheers Schmunkee. I see was thinking it was another race tee hee! Mind you I Was in one at weekend called Muddy Boots! Well I am hoping will be ok to race this year but if not I'll come join the supporters!! Got another fizzy appt on Friday so keeping everything crossed will be ok for long distances again.
First time done VLM so didn't know this support existed, would love to repay another year.
seren nos    pirate
21/02/2012 at 22:03
I missed mudchute when i ran it as well....

i did support last year .......because I had an injury

to be honest I usually can't get to any races unless i am racing as its hard to get a weekend pass and spend all the money if I am not racing........probably similar for a number of people...

I wouldn't worry about the number of supporters as over the space of a few hours it should be fine........and lots of people just want a wave ......

it will be alright on the night
21/02/2012 at 22:10
Claire - where is your bad niggle? As you push your body you will get them. My knees are giving me issues at the moment but I place ice cubes around the bottom of my knee cap, moving them around until they melt. After a couple of days rest I am back out on the road. It sucks sometimes as you feel like everything is going wrong. Good luck with it.
22/02/2012 at 06:13
It was a good day last time I did it - however long ago that was
22/02/2012 at 08:19

I think it was Nam who had Gordon Ramsey throw up on her bag.  She was most put out becasue the bag contained the special needs items of her runners and she didn't see why he should spoil everyone elses chances of doing well.

Mudchute was a godsend when I did FLM in 2009.  You come around the Isle of Dogs with very little support and you are also very much aware that you are geographically running away from the finish line at that point.  Then, just as you get back into a populated part of the course there is a huge crowd of wonderful people offering hugs, jelly babies and anything else you want or need.  It took the pain out of the next 5 miles for me.

I've never officially put my name down as a supporter in the past but I have turned up on the day and helped out two or three times.  We can never have enough hands so while it would make organisation easier if you could commit in advance, please feel free to turn up on the day if you suddenly find yourself free.

22/02/2012 at 09:44
Cool really looking forward to it now will definately be supporting another year, sounds like great fun!!

Stevie - strangely it seems lots of things down right hand side of body. We've been crossing few things off the list like trainers etc. Last week I had to call the runs a day at 2-3miles, but after another fizzy appt given all clear to try bit further but stop if in pain. So yesterday did 8miles fine when running but bit aching today. So keeping everything crossed on mend now and will be fine for weekends long run.
22/02/2012 at 13:21
Claire - bodies are weird things. I hope that pain disappears for good as it would be a shame for you to have to pull out. Well done on the 8 mile run. I did 9 miles on Monday night, felt absolutely fantastic during it but the next morning I had pain just below and right on my right knee.. out came the ice cubes!!! Physio said it was nothing to worry about as your body needs to adapt as you push it.. I just hope I can get up to 18-20 miles by the beginning of April.. fingers crossed
22/02/2012 at 13:55

As SC said, supporters welcome throughout the day but it takes a good core number to get the thing organised as we need to set up and sort out by the time the race starts.  Also people to run the support threads and find out the needs of their runners.

However, people during the day are great and please come along if you are prepared to help out and muck in with trips to shops/handing out jelly babies etc.   

22/02/2012 at 19:18

I will see if I can rally any extra help for you as there is talk of some friends/family coming to watch. They are not on here but if they say yes I can get info to them.

Plus it will give them something to join in with whilst they wait for me

Edited: 22/02/2012 at 19:18
22/02/2012 at 20:22
the RW supporters are on the right hand side of the route at around mile 17, you can't really see the banner because it's low down on the railings but there'll be loads of blue and yellow balloons and various other balloons with the supporter group numbers it's at the top of the rise and before the zebra crossing, so if you are on the zebra crossing you missed it

supporting is brilliant, a lot of people don't actually stop, whether they are having a great race and just want to keep going, miss the group or DNF etc.
23/02/2012 at 08:55

hello all......we're getting closer!

I've had injury and remained injured.....so I may be moving to the other side of the fence, if I'm forced to and if I can get over the intense jealously/sulk I'll be in.  Here's hoping I'll be running past you and hopefully not vomitting on the special needs bag aka Gordon Ramsay!

Iron Pugsley    pirate
23/02/2012 at 17:30
Hi guys - I'm not so good at lists. Would be grateful if someone with the list magic could add me as a runner. After 3 weeks of man flu I will be needing your help! Thanks guys - great job!
23/02/2012 at 17:40
Have to say supporting was great and a lot less painful than running the bliddy thing! For those of you worried that you don't know anyone it really doesn't matter - you are assigned to a team and everyone is very friendly - that's supporters for you - it's all in the name. I imagine this year at mile 17 I'll be wishing I was on the giving rather than the receiving end of the jelly babies.
23/02/2012 at 19:23
Much better than running.........................and I hardly knew anyone last year, at the start of the day!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.