London Marathon 2013 - Runners & Supporters

261 to 280 of 564 messages
23/03/2013 at 09:33

Hi all, I'm doing the London marathon for charadeeee in a few weeks and for the
first time I have family coming to watch, this is rare as they work weekends but
have booked this off ages ago.

I want to make sure all goes well with
them watching so they know exactly where to go etc.

Ideally they'd like to see me pass 3 times, I've stated tower bridge at mile 12 as a good one, maybe the first as they are staying at a hotel near the London eye in the same
location. Then obviously near the end too maybe corner where Buckingham palace
is mile 26. But the 3rd spot not sure.

So what im trying to do is give
them step by step instructions so they dont get lost and can get to each point
easily, they can if need be jump in a taxi between spots as there will be 5 of
them. I'd prefer to avoid tubes etc as they will get confused I know.

Can any London dwellers help with suggestions thanks,  I'll probably be doing 11 minute miles and cross the start line
about 10.15am.

Its a special occasion with grandparents coming so just
want to make it a great day for them.

Thanks

23/03/2013 at 09:56

Anyone mind if we move this event back until June, a little behind on training

23/03/2013 at 10:18
Think there will be a few of us a bit behind on training so looking forward to the atmosphere :0)
23/03/2013 at 10:29
Don't know if I agree or disagree Hope! I'm also behind on my training but the thought of another few months of running ruling my life is too much!!! Am sure the atmosphere will get us all round :0)
23/03/2013 at 10:31
Eckytump and fuzzyvixx , since we all have times between 5-6 hours maybe blue start is actually for the slowest of the slow!!
23/03/2013 at 10:32

Fuzzyvixx, Im none of those either so like you, I'm just going to enjoy the day. I still cant believe I am actually guna do the London Marathon eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

I am behind in training too especially as we have tonnes of snow now too.

23/03/2013 at 10:52

LB is winding you all up, and quite sucessfully by the look of it

Blue start is ballot and club places.  The front of the pack will be fast but the back of the pack will include some runners aiming for 5-6 hours.

Red start is Charity places so tends to be slower and has all the people in costumes and those who intend to walk it all.

Green start is celebrities and good for age.  Elite start at the front of the green start but have their own assembly point I believe (with flushing toilets - I know because I have used them!).

23/03/2013 at 10:54

As for being divided into teams, I believe that SBH is intending to allocate teams shortly.  Please can everyone set up their profile to accept messages as your team leaders will need to be able to get in contact with you privately, unless you don't mind the whole world knowing your personal details.

23/03/2013 at 11:08

Ah, thats why then as I got my place through my running club. I am running with a Giant Teddy on by back though so will be run/walking it all.

23/03/2013 at 12:56

I'm a lucky ballot entrant - if you count this was my 8th application in 9 years since I last did it. :S

23/03/2013 at 13:21

Mark, I'd suggest they do get the tube - or the DLR rather, from Tower Gateway to Westferry as soon as they see you at Tower Bridge. Then they will be able to see you at 14/15 miles and/or ~20miles before either getting a cab back or getting back on the DLR. All DLR trains leaving Tower Gateway stop at Westferry so chances of mistakes are low. 

27/03/2013 at 08:19
mark wadsworth 2 wrote (see)

Hi all, I'm doing the London marathon for charadeeee in a few weeks and for the
first time I have family coming to watch, this is rare as they work weekends but
have booked this off ages ago.

Its a special occasion with grandparents coming so just
want to make it a great day for them.

Be aware that it is REALLY hard for them to spot you amongst the thousands of people runnning, and REALLY hard for you to spot them.  I have run past an entire charity cheering point that I was looking out for, without noticing it, because I was so zoned out. You need a very distinctive outfit, and you need to know exactly where they are, including which side of the road, because you can't really look at everyone in the crowd as you run.

28/03/2013 at 12:26

Guys, I have had to defer due to illness, may be at mudchute instead will need to see how i am on the day.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
28/03/2013 at 13:20
SuperCaz wrote (see)

LB is winding you all up, and quite sucessfully by the look of it

Blue start is ballot and club places.  The front of the pack will be fast but the back of the pack will include some runners aiming for 5-6 hours.

Bloody spoilsport!

28/03/2013 at 14:15

I also need to defer as i was knocked off my bike by a blummin dog 2 weeks ago and I still can't run properly. Gutted as i was (relatively) flying. Arghh....

30/03/2013 at 08:35

Sorry to hear about the deferees.  CP, you had better be at Mudchute.  Its been ages since I saw you and I need a hug

Pip, how bad is the injury and were you aiming for a time?  If you've put the training in so far then it is still possible for you to finish the marathon as long as you are fit to run, but I understand if you were aiming for a PB attempt and would prefer to defer than get a crap time.

30/03/2013 at 19:21

I got a place in Edinburgh at the end of May so I get an extra 5 weeks. I am aiming for that now and hoping I can do VLM next year.  Hopefully...

If I didnt have a little girl, I would come down and support/help but I only have so many times I can ask my OH to look after her whilst I train.  I will defo come one year as I believe in putting back.

31/03/2013 at 22:03
Super Caz you forgot us fast for age peeps at the front of the red start
Sorry to read about the peeps who won't make the start line
31/03/2013 at 23:59
Cocoa Pop - do come along to Mudchute, it'll be great to see you again.
01/04/2013 at 07:51
Morning all, I'm running Brighton Marathon the weekend prior to London. I'd love to go onto the Mudchute cheer team. Am I too late to be added to the list?

I live in Blackheath, so would like to see the start, then head down to Mudchute.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.