London Marathon 2014 tips and experiences.

61 to 78 of 78 messages
19/03/2014 at 16:10

My family were at Bermondsy (11 miles), Mudchute (15/16) and at 25 mile mark.  They had a huge banner and flag (I'm Irish) and I could see them a mile away.  It was a huge help.  You really need something you can easily spot as there are soo many people and you don't want the stress of having to try and find people in the crowds.  (Unfortunately they then went off for tea and cake and when I got to the meeting point they WEREN't THERE!  BIG fail!)

Make a final decision about what to wear the day before, around the same time of day you'll be running, and don't waver from that.  then you won't get up at the crack of dawn on race day, think 'it's freezing' and wear far too much ...

Cake    pirate
19/03/2014 at 16:33

There will be quite a few people at Mudchute I few of them from this site as well if you want to give then all a big hug doesn't matter if you know them sure they will enjoy it.

MACb wrote (see)

Lube anything that might get chaffed!

This is the best advise you can get if any newbie’s out there forgets everything else just remember to lubricate yourselves. Obviously can’t speak for the ladies but blokes around your goral  area you really don’t want friction burn down there do you? My god it can hurt and Vaseline works. Under the arm pits and around the nipples are a good place to think off as well. I believe you can get posh nipple tape for the affected area or if there is anyone out there who play’s rugby the tape can work quite well although that does mean you have to take it off again.

Pasta’s good but if you never normally eat pasta you will give yourself tummy problems as after a few miles your body will be going oh git where’s my chip’s! So if you’re going to eat something the day before the race make sure you eat it in the build-up as well. Just don’t if you have read about carb loading try and carb load for the next 4 weeks as you will turn into a elephant.

21/03/2014 at 06:32

How do you decide what to wear? Last year it was so hot and I was over dressed? Any advice? What if the forecast is rain, do people hand out bin bags?

21/03/2014 at 07:54

If you haven't yet got your name printed on your top, consider getting the word NADS put on....nothing brings a bigger smile to tired runners faces then hearing the crowd cheering GONADS

21/03/2014 at 07:58
Chicken123 wrote (see)

How do you decide what to wear? Last year it was so hot and I was over dressed? Any advice? What if the forecast is rain, do people hand out bin bags?

Decide what to wear now, try it out in the last few runs and make sure it doesn't chafe, itch or rub.

If it rains, you get wet, your skin is waterproof, worst thing is having too many items on. No one hands out bin bags.

21/03/2014 at 09:10

If it is wet and cold make sure have some dry clothes to get changed into asap at the finish.

21/03/2014 at 09:16

Cake, the Goral is a Himalayan animal. Where do I put the lube on it?

21/03/2014 at 09:21

I would suggest not where you would apply it to yourself - you might get a bit of a butting.

25/03/2014 at 17:20

I hated having my name on my vest a couple of years ago. When i'd had enough at 24 miles i wanted to crawl into my own little world and people shouting my name started to really annoy me. Im tempted this year to have a laugh and get the words "My Face" printed instead. The shouts of "come on ...............," should raise a few laughs at least 

Cake    pirate
25/03/2014 at 18:02
Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

apologies spelling failed me again was supposed to be groanal area? Not sure if spelt that right so let me say your testical's, behild them, possibly to the sides and also your penis. Protect the boys if after 20 miles you get a soreness there it's going to hurt trust me.

25/03/2014 at 18:09

And how many minutes do you rub the lube in for? 

25/03/2014 at 18:47

as long as it takes to com

................pletely cover them

25/03/2014 at 20:58
Richard Worrall 4 wrote (see)

I hated having my name on my vest a couple of years ago. When i'd had enough at 24 miles i wanted to crawl into my own little world and people shouting my name started to really annoy me. Im tempted this year to have a laugh and get the words "My Face" printed instead. The shouts of "come on ...............," should raise a few laughs at least 

This, I like.

Cake wrote (see)

Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

apologies spelling failed me again was supposed to be groanal area?

It will definitely be "groanal" if it gets chafed I should imagine

Edited: 25/03/2014 at 20:59
25/03/2014 at 22:10
When you pick up your goodie bag at the expo have a quick look through it to see if you really want to be carrying all its contents around for the rest of the day.
Last year they put a bag of rice in there which wasn't really worth the effort.
26/03/2014 at 07:39

Maybe the RICE is in case you have a sprain.

26/03/2014 at 08:13
Good thinking.
If they had out it in there as a joke then good on them.
I doubt they did though.
Cake    pirate
26/03/2014 at 17:10

If you look through the goody bag and decide you don't want any of the food find me and I will dispose of it for you.

26/03/2014 at 17:34

Just make sure you wash your hands first after rubbing your goebels

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 78 of 78 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.