London Marathon 2014 tips and experiences.

1 to 20 of 78 messages
13/03/2014 at 14:54

I am running London this year. It is my fourth marathon but by far the biggest and most daunting! I wondered if people would be happy to share any tips and experiences about the event?Eg Toilets....availability, queues, when to time your queuing etc  Also I usually run with an i pod. I will be running for up to 5.5hrs so it helps keep me going. But from what I have heard the atmosphere and support at London is so good it is best not to run with music. What do others feel?

I would love to hear peoples stories, tips etc.

Thank you!

Lily

13/03/2014 at 15:22

Last year they had she wees - a bit odd at first but no queueing so worth the weirdness of a load of bare bums. Dont even consider an ipod that would be such a waste

13/03/2014 at 15:28

Hi Lily, VLM is really just like any other race just on a much bigger scale.  Only runners can go into the start area, then you drop off your bag and queue for the toilet - there are loads of toilets and loads of queues.  If you're used to having your iPod take it, you can always take out the headphones but it's there if you want it or want a break from the crowds - be prepared to be surrounded by huge crowds every inch of the way, I found it a little overwhelming and this year will have iPod and sunnies so I can withdraw from it a little if I feel the need.  Good luck and enjoy

Cake    pirate
13/03/2014 at 15:42

Lily London will be wall to wall support enjoy it. If you’ve done marathons before you know the score but for anyone lurking don’t set off to quick. A lot of people will leave the start line like a heard of wildebeest. Don’t let yourself get court up with them or after a few miles you’re going to be knackered.

The exbo to pick up your number beforehand is one of the biggest I’ve ever seen. Allow yourself a few hours to walk through it if you want. Will be lots of shiny things there and a few freebee’s.

For toilets on the day they have a few before and on the route but won’t be enough, frankly it’s impossible to have enough toliets at an event like this. Don’t be afraid to burst into McDonalds or something to use the loo if you have to all the business’s on the course will know the score and most of them will be fully supportive of the race it’s in their own best interest to be.

I’d make sure you know which tube you need to get there and give yourself plenty of time in the morning. Depending on your start pen and where you’re travelling from could be a mile and a half walking and it’s going to be very busy. Once you’ve finished there are a few pubs past horse guards you can get a drink from but all will be busy so if your meeting family or friends I’d meet them at horse guards if you can. Getting home can be a pain depending on what tube lines you need to give yourself plenty of time and give yourself plenty of time after the race to soak up the atmosphere. All races are special but this one is a party. Enjoy it.

13/03/2014 at 15:49
Hi lily
Be prepared for lots of discarded bottles, jumpers, food wrappers, banana skins on ground for lot of the route - it was an absolute obstacle course last year!!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
13/03/2014 at 16:09

The energy gel that the St John's Ambulance people hold out is really good.

Cake    pirate
13/03/2014 at 16:12

Bad bad bad man. I've fallen for this myself. St Johns will hold out handfuls of vasaline. Don't eat it.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
13/03/2014 at 16:19

But if you do run out of vaseline, a handful of energy gel down the shorts works just fine.

13/03/2014 at 16:29

At least you won't get chapped lips.

13/03/2014 at 16:38
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

But if you do run out of vaseline, a handful of energy gel down the shorts works just fine.

Does this also work the other way round?

Cake    pirate
13/03/2014 at 16:40

Millsy try it and find out?

13/03/2014 at 16:41

I did London last year as my first marathon and loved it! I started at the green start which I think is much less crowded so the queues for the loos and baggage was not an issue. The crowds are very supportive but I agree a bit overwhelming sometimes so I did use my ipod at times. There's a bit around the twenty something mark where the Garmin receptions go and so I had no idea what my pace was. But it came back after about half a mile. I'd say think now about what you'll wear and have a couple of options. Last year was a bright sunny day (not unlike today) and was much warmer than all my long runs in training. So glad I opted for shorts at the last minute. Best tip is to enjoy it and soak in everything! And smile for the picture at the end - I felt a bit tearful when I finished and look so grumpy in all the pics!

13/03/2014 at 16:42

I thought the Vaseline was ice and took a huge dollop! 

13/03/2014 at 18:19

Bear's annual tips

1 Don't put all your stuff in the kit bag provided and lug it to the start.  It gets heavy and uncomfortable very quickly.  Instead put kit bag in rucksack or sports bag and at the start get your gear sorted then place rucksack/bag into kit bag.

2 Go right along the platform to where the front of the train will be.  It gets much less crowded and you might even grab a seat. 

14/03/2014 at 08:25

That's a top tip from Bear about the kit bag.

I agree with Stilts about the iPod and the sunglasses too. Take both with you in case you need to zone out for a while. It can be a bit relentless, especially if you hit a bad patch.

Make sure you pack a salty snack in your bag for after the race. Crisps are good.

Keep an eye out for the course showers - they are bliss!

14/03/2014 at 09:27

Some of these tips are completely alien to me . Heavy kit bags??? My top tip would be not to drink water two hours before the start and don't worry that everyone else seems to be doing just that. Otherwise your time at the start will be spent in one long toilet queue. 

14/03/2014 at 09:53

buy a cheap pack-a-mac type thing from the pound shop just in case it is raining. Then just chuck it away when are race starts. 

14/03/2014 at 10:13

Don't worry if you seem to be going unfeasibly fast or slow in the Canary Wharf area. The tall buildings around there may mess with your Garmin signal. It'll sort itself out once you're past that bit.

14/03/2014 at 10:33

When you finish it will be impossible to contact anyone in the area via mobile as the system is overloaded. So prearrange a meeting point. Or as an alternative have someone at home on a landline who you can call and get them to call who ever you are trying to make contact with and the they can call you back. This has worked for me when I haven't been able to get through to find my family at the finish.

Think about getting your name put on the front of your t-shirt so spectators can shout out your name.

14/03/2014 at 10:35

Try to avoid listening to the popular '60s hit "Keep on Running" by the Spencer Davis Group between now and mid April.  On April 13th you'll get a year's worth.

1 to 20 of 78 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.