London Marathon Good For Age

is it or not???

201 to 220 of 416 messages
29/04/2013 at 18:31

The GFA times on the London site always just apply to that year.  Because they rarely change them people always just expect they will remain the same but there's no reason why they shouldn't change. 

Its interesting that a lot of people think that if they'd known about the changes a couple of weeks, or a couple of months, before they could change their marathon result on the day.  Since most runners target a marathon and train really hard to achieve the best time possible on the day I'm not sure many people could actually do this.  

If you got close then you've run a really good marathon and you know that you can now run a much fast one next time to secure a place for 2015.  

29/04/2013 at 18:33

All affiliated clubs get allocated marathon places too so there's another way to get in.  I'm sure clubs would look favourable on a member who had just missed out.

29/04/2013 at 18:34
Paul Addicott wrote (see)

@runnerman until after the run they had last years times on display. This us the issue, they can, and will need to change times according to need. However, there was nothing posted on their official website until after the race. The issue for me and many others is we structured our run accordingly... If they gave notice (as with other majors) then at least we would know what to aim for!

Yes but that's GFA for 2013, not 2014. They did remove it eventually. But that is not a god given right to expect the same for next year. I fully understand your frustration, but the sad fact is the organisers went ahead and change this. Life can be a little unfair, but that's life. They are not going to go backwards and make as DF3 would say, a cockup! Or in my words, tits-up! I didn't see many moaning about the organisers moving the start time forward 15 minutes a month before the event this year. Or they bringing in a deadline of 6pm or no medal. Or when they moved the finish in 1994. The fact is its their event, their decision, they went ahead it.

29/04/2013 at 18:34

KK - how did you get on this year?

seren nos    pirate
29/04/2013 at 18:40

there was a discussion onhere a couple of weeks ago and one of the blokes actually phoned up the VLM offices and asked them if they were changing and he was told they had no plans to change them this year.now he is pised off andf i think he has good cause........they could have said we are looking at it and haven't decided yet...

kittenkat    pirate
29/04/2013 at 18:40

Not that well, 3.30.29, but not a complete disaster. I was really worried about the wheels falling off as I'd missed so many long runs due to 'stuff'.

Did you run Minni?

kittenkat    pirate
29/04/2013 at 18:41
literatin wrote (see)

Champs times are staying the same; it's a sub 1:15 half for the blokes though.  Good thing I'm a girl.

If you're not a club member you could just make sure you are one by December.

That's why I joined my club originally

29/04/2013 at 18:42

Me too! I'm just using them...

Well worth the £15 subs though, and I've probably made that back in post-club-run G&Ts.

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 18:43
29/04/2013 at 18:42

Yes, 3:15:48   

kittenkat    pirate
29/04/2013 at 18:43

I have been useful since, I won my stage of the Welsh Castles relay for them last year.

kittenkat    pirate
29/04/2013 at 18:44
Minni wrote (see)

Nice one, what's your half pb?

29/04/2013 at 18:45

1:32 

kittenkat    pirate
29/04/2013 at 18:48
Minni wrote (see)

Minni wrote (see)

1:32 

That's a very good marathon time off 1.32!

kittenkat    pirate
29/04/2013 at 18:50

Oops, quote fail!

Actually I've realised that except in a tri, London is the only marathon i've run. This was my 4th in 5 years (decided i couldn't afford the trip last year)

I reckon we should target a different marathon, maybe an Autumn one and try and get some forumites there.

29/04/2013 at 19:01

I know - I need to sort my shorter distances out. It's just so much harder running faster. 

My autumn marathon will be in the North East. 

kittenkat    pirate
29/04/2013 at 19:04
Minni wrote (see)

I know - I need to sort my shorter distances out. It's just so much harder running faster. 

My autumn marathon will be in the North East. 

I try to avoid running them, but London is my dirty little secret, a bit like Pot Noodle only more painful.

29/04/2013 at 19:44

I'd run a marathon over a 10k anyday. And over a Pot Noodle come to think of it.

29/04/2013 at 20:35

Minni. Many could run better if they target for it. I ran Brighton then london. I knew I could do this and get 3:10, in London my legs were not fresh and I ran it to do what I needed, I could have run 3:00, but going all out would risk failure, I knew 3:10 was enough, and I wanted to leave more to come for future! For me it's all about the jack of notice!

29/04/2013 at 20:49

Someone on another thread has started this petition, for those interested:

www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Give_the_London_marathon_good_for_age_times_one_year_grace/?LncFeb&pv=4

29/04/2013 at 22:26

Paul - I understand what you're saying. I know if I was desperate for a gfa I wouldn't hold back to just scrape in but instead run as fast as I could on the day (With the knowledge that no times had been confirmed for 2014). However, can see why some  would take a safer approach to finish just within the time needed to qualify for that year.

Are you a member of a club? Hopefully you might get a club place? I hope you get your sub 3 at another marathon, if not London. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.