London Marathon Good For Age

is it or not???

21 to 40 of 416 messages
23/04/2013 at 08:25
In the 60-64 Men's category at this years VLM the the first runner to go outside of 3:30 came 39/475! I think that proves it's a tough qualifying time. Luckily I managed 3:27:52 so hopefully ok for next year.
23/04/2013 at 14:05
Biggles - fantastic time! I agree and also sub 3:15 for a 59 year old is pretty testing!!!
23/04/2013 at 14:15

I think that they need to change goals for women along with champs places - there were virtually no women in the FGFA field, it was all 40+ men. I think most women who could get a FGFA also could get a champs place, so understandably enter that.

23/04/2013 at 15:17

I called up today to check whether the GFA criteria is changing, and was told that it will be the same in 2014 as it was in 2013. Important for me because I am a 26-year old with a 3:08 pb set in 2012. Fingers crossed this is the case...

23/04/2013 at 15:42
DS2 completely agree which is why they should have age group bands like Boston, 40-49 and 50-59 with appropriate times.
23/04/2013 at 17:02
15West wrote (see)

I think that they need to change goals for women along with champs places - there were virtually no women in the FGFA field, it was all 40+ men. I think most women who could get a FGFA also could get a champs place, so understandably enter that.

I didn't see any women (except perhaps one - they were a long way away...) in the FGFA at the red start at the top of Greenwich park.  Aren't they at one of the other ones?  Green is it?  The question I have is why do they have female changing at the FGFA pen at the red start?  Must've been pretty quiet in there.

Blisters    pirate
23/04/2013 at 17:22
MattyWelsh wrote (see)

I called up today to check whether the GFA criteria is changing, and was told that it will be the same in 2014 as it was in 2013. Important for me because I am a 26-year old with a 3:08 pb set in 2012. Fingers crossed this is the case...

But someone aged 26 is not exactly "Old". There are professional footballers still plying their trade on a level playing field for another 10 years beyond that.

Personally, I'd say that over 30yo a sub 3 was "good", over 40 a sub 3:15, over 50 a 3:30, over 60 a 3:45. For the women, I'd add 15 minutes to each category. The stats show that it's more like 10 minutes, male to female based on top end performances, but if it's too scientific they would have to keep changing the rules when a record got broken.

So, for me Matty, I'm afraid that you will have to train harder and get 2:45 Champs start, or get a sub 3 aged 30.
Personally, I am aware that my own performances are no longer eligible, as they are all more than 2 years old. And I'm not bitter.

23/04/2013 at 17:42

Blisters - I didn't say anything about the fairness of the age groupings. This thread was started because someone was concerned (as I was) about mutterings that the criteria might be changing with little or no notice. Therefore, I thought that many would appreciate me passing on that this, apparently, does not appear to be the case.

23/04/2013 at 18:43
MattyWelsh wrote (see)

Blisters - I didn't say anything about the fairness of the age groupings. This thread was started because someone was concerned (as I was) about mutterings that the criteria might be changing with little or no notice. Therefore, I thought that many would appreciate me passing on that this, apparently, does not appear to be the case.

Matty, that is useful info there, I`m sure there are many (including myself) that will appreciate you passing it on.

23/04/2013 at 19:29
Ok just so I understand this would someone be able to clarify how this all works?
I'm a 35 year old male, ran 3.13.50 on Sunday which obviously falls short of the sub 3.10 good for age category I'm in.
On the VLM website it says for 2013 race that you needed to submit proof of a sub 3.10 marathon by 13th July 2012, I'm guessing the same will apply this year. Does this mean you still have to apply through the ballot next Monday or do you submit a separate entry?. I've been rejected four years on the bounce through ballot (ran through golden bond this year) and was really hoping to crack sub 3.10 but missed the boat. What is the chance of getting a good for age place if you have done the time? Is it 100% or 50/50? I guess I need to have another crack at a marathon before mid July really!
23/04/2013 at 19:39

If you have the GFA time then you are guaranteed an entry (as long as you can prove it and fill in the correct forms)

23/04/2013 at 22:27
15West wrote (see)

Its 'F'GFA for a reason - the relatively small number of women running at that pace can go off the champs start, and the regular GFA women get a reasonably clear start from green. I don't see any benefit from mixing 3:30 women with sub-3 men just to even out sex ratios, it would make the first mile carnage.

Plus if there were women in FGFA how could everyone have their last pee on the road five minutes before the start...

cougie    pirate
23/04/2013 at 22:45
Chris - GFA is 100% chance of getting in. If you hit your target and enter in time.
23/04/2013 at 22:55
Stupid question....I know that GFA means 'good for age' but FGFA means what?

PS - I did google it before asking, to hide my ignorance, but no luck
23/04/2013 at 23:03
Matty, that is great thanks for the update.
Blisters, well I am happy you don't decide the times! Quite frankly I think sub 3:10 is tough and should be gfa, I agree with much of the above that there is room for adjustments throughout to make all equal across age and gender splits. I would however note as previously mentioned, the point of gfa is to maximise entries without having a field full of slower runners, which would be no fun for anyone...
As long as it does not change this year I will be there in 2014, and as long as I am given ample notice I will endeavour to get whatever time required!
23/04/2013 at 23:03
Fast I believe shazmo, but it us usually just gfa
24/04/2013 at 09:40

Shazmo, as said above 'fast', FGFA is a separate assembly area at the front of the red start. I'm not sure of the exact cutoff for being in it, but I think it is the male 18-39 standards (i.e. being GFA via having done a previous marathon under 3:10)

24/04/2013 at 09:50

Thanks. I might just make the standard GFA.

Maybe they should call it RGFA.....really good for age

24/04/2013 at 09:52

Shazmo: that's the championship start! (sub 2:45 men)

24/04/2013 at 13:35

oh goodness me do the GFA women start at a different place then?

wibble...

21 to 40 of 416 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.