London Marathon

How long to reach the start line? First Timer

10 messages
02/04/2012 at 07:14
Hello! I'm running in the VLM for the first time and wondered how long it takes to actually reach the start line? My estimated time is 4:15. Hrrs to 4:30 hrs. Thanks
02/04/2012 at 07:21

depends which start pen you are put in based on your estimated finish time and  denoted by a little round circle on your race number when you get it. I would think you would be in at least pen 6, probably further back. I started in pen 6 in my first race and crossed the line seventeen minutes after the gun from the red start.

02/04/2012 at 13:41

It doesn't matter how long it takes, as it's timed by using a chip on your shoe. The clock for your time will only start when you cross the line.

I started on the red start on my first one and I was so far back (pen 9) that I couldn't even hear the gun

LIVERBIRD    pirate
02/04/2012 at 14:13

I thought you meant "from where you're staying"!!!

So I'll pretend you did

What I WOULD say is that the DLR journey and walk to the start area is actually considerably longer than I had anticipated and you need to leave PLENTY of time for the journey if it involves DLR travel. There is quite a hill in Greenwich park too before you've even crossed the startline. Each startline is a fair old distance from the other ones and once you're committed to yours, they won't let you back through to the other ones so don't go through until you're ready.

02/04/2012 at 14:25
Thanks for your replies. I wanted to know so that I could give an estimate to my friends and family of the likely time I would be at various mile markers.
cougie    pirate
02/04/2012 at 14:42
What colour start are you on ?
02/04/2012 at 15:35
I'm Blue - Blackheath
LIVERBIRD    pirate
02/04/2012 at 15:38
I was blue. Isn't that the furthest away Cougs?
cougie    pirate
02/04/2012 at 15:42
I think Red is worse you know !
LIVERBIRD    pirate
02/04/2012 at 15:43
Red was nearest last year! Do they move them?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.