longest VLM measurement

who ran the furthest compared to their garmin

21 to 40 of 45 messages
24/04/2012 at 16:34
The bit in the City is usually a mare for Garmins, though; the Bupa 10,000 goes through there and I'm sure last year I got that course as the best part of 11k when my Garmin went bonkers because of all the high buildings. I got a whole bunch of lap paces in the region of 3.30-3.45/km when the truth was over 4.00.
24/04/2012 at 16:34

26.77 miles for me, this was my second London Marathon & both times each mile was about 1.01 on the garmin, so by mile 10 it read 10.1 miles.

Then you enter the tunnels and around Canery Whalf the distance was about half a mile out.

For this reason I picked up a tip from a club mate to turn off the autolap and hit the lap button as I passed each mile marker & could see my time for each mile, didn't make me any faster though

24/04/2012 at 17:24

Apparently I had quite a short race looking at some of these distances. Must have taken a short cut. Didn't help with the time though.

26.5m Mostly fine till Isle of Dogs. Had me visting all sorts of buildings going through Canary Wharf but looks good all the way to the finish except going up the slip road at Embankment.

24/04/2012 at 17:55
Ah Jordie yes i remember someone else posting that tip for the liverpool marathon as they have to run through the mersey tunnel ( if nothing will knock a garmin out its travelling under a tunnel underwater haha )

however as i'm not very techy i would be scared that I would get it wrong or worse still forget to hit the button lol

well makes me look good doesnt it saying I ran a little bit longer than the marathon distance hahaha
24/04/2012 at 17:59

Mine was 26.36. I only noticed it lose signal once, going under the first tunnel.

It would be interesting to find out which Garmins got closest to the real distance if everyone travelled along the blue line, as the 410 is supposed to have a different GPS chip than some of the others such as the 210.

24/04/2012 at 19:30
Mine was 26.48miles... lost coverage twice on the route
24/04/2012 at 20:14

Mine was 26.99 miles and i tried to follow the racing line for most of the run.

I blame the rhinos and the wombles (running around them).

Paul's was 26.89 but got no chip time.

24/04/2012 at 22:36

Mine was only about 20 - not sure exactly - because VLM killed my Garmin!!

24/04/2012 at 22:47
26.52 for me.  No consistency in miles - some of the early ones are short, some are long, so can't blame Canary Wharf for my distance being wrong
24/04/2012 at 23:19
When I did it (2010) I got 26.12. I was about 1/2 a mile over until mile 23/24 ish, then somehow the garmin got in sync with the mile markers when I went through one of the tunnels. Could have something to do with accidentally having auto pause on (not to be recommended - my finish time turned out to be 11 mins slower than my watch time!)
25/04/2012 at 09:18
I got 26.71 on my 405. About 0.01 out on the first mile but it went totally bonkers around Canary Wharf! I think I will turn the Autolap off next time.
seren nos    pirate
25/04/2012 at 09:23
when i did llanelli last year i was going for a PB and wore a garmin on each arm......one measured nearly .2 of a mile further than the other.....obvious my left side runs quicker than my right....

the one was spot on though for every mile marker

25/04/2012 at 10:51
26.76 for me! Got myself in a complete mudle as it was 'beeping' the miles way before the mile markers. Mind you, it was so noisy I couldn't hear the 'beeps' anyway!
25/04/2012 at 10:55
26.51 miles for me. Shortest miles were 5 & 25 at 0.98, whilst the longest was 16 at 1.05. Having looked at the trace against the satellite map there are couple of blips just after Cutty Sark, and a couple in Docklands, but otherwise it seems pretty accurate.
27/04/2012 at 09:10

Interesting thread but the blue line will be the exact distance

Given that its 26.2 miles varying from that blue line will always make the course longer

seren nos    pirate
27/04/2012 at 09:15
3:30........I did ay at the start.this isn't a thread questioning the distance.....the blue line will be the correct distance........it is just a laugh to see just how far out on this course garmins can make it....

as it makes me laugh on some threads when people dispute an officially measured race because their garmins don't agree....( exceptions being Hull marathon this year and cardiff half a few years ago where as all garmins measured short people checked the routes and found that the official route had been changed by the organisers who forgot to mention it )
27/04/2012 at 12:53

But did anyone else notice it was impossible to follow the blue line exact?  A few times it disappeared completely and I couldn't understand it but then somewhere in the Docklands I was running on it and it disappeared under a white fence and rejoined a bit further on.  Obviously there are areas where the course is changed slightly once the Elite go through. 

28/04/2012 at 21:34

The blue line isn't always the right distance, nor is it the shortest distance. Going round a corner, it's shortest to go as close to the curb as possible but the machine that marks the blue line pre-race can't get that close - it has to mark the line about a metre away or something.

I suppose it would depend on where the course marker measured and whether they used a machine with as much clearance as the blue line marker.

28/04/2012 at 21:45
Mine seems to under read - I've run 13.0 mile halves before now. So, although it wasn't VLM, I suspect my marathon will have been shorter. Not necessarily quicker, but shorter!
29/04/2012 at 13:57

Hi,

Just dipping in  to see what kind of results thebig G's gave. I was using Runkeeper.com app on my iPhone and I am relieved I only did it for the memory and not for a serious training aid. It shows over 29 miles!

21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.