Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Follow Wotsit as she embarks on her sub-4:30 FLM campaign (Mentor: Nick Anderson)

3,401 to 3,420 of 3,757 messages
26/03/2011 at 10:19

Next year eh Gladrags - i nearly had company

I think next year i might try for an Olympic triathlon - whos up for it?

26/03/2011 at 10:32

Ok Ok - not broke, don't fix it...  I know you are right...  however despite the good time, felt pretty out of it and wondering if a caffeine boost wouldn't go amiss...  seem fine with lucozade gels and lucozade, but they don't do a caffeine one, and these power bar ones do say you need 400ml of water... 

Oh good old tiredness addled brain disease is kicking in...  need to get in right frame of mind for tomorrow as not on it at all today so far...    Bad day at work yesterday, well actually working at home which was meant to be reasonably relaxing but had to get James from school at 9.30 at he was running a massive temperature so had little company, and then an endless stream of 'phone calls where I was trying to sound all professional whilst sorting out the little man... 

Ho hum, will aim for long sleep tonight and see how I go - all downhill after tomorrow although was reasonably alarmed to see schedule says 17 next Sunday when I was expecting about 15...

I'll have some of whatever you lot are drinking...   gyms, pilates, cycling, thresholds... making me feel exhausted just reading it!!

26/03/2011 at 13:54

There is an SIS gel with caffeine in which is isotonic and needs no water - but have just been listening to Marathon Talk podcast on my run and at about 35 mins there is a very interesting interview with a guy from Leeds Uni about caffeine.  He says take it right from the start of a marathon as it increases the energy your body can take from fat, so you don't use up all the glycogen reserves too early, meaning you don't hit the wall.  Now, I've sadly missed trying this out on a really long run, but you haven't Gooner!  Have a listen, but the gist is, go for 3-4 pro-plus or equivalent caffeine tablets (150-200mg) taken 30-60 mins before the start of a run.  Then you shouldn't need any extra through the run as it takes 5 hrs for the caffeine levels to drop to 50% of their max.

I've used it with shorter races (up to HM), but not taken caffeine right from the start at a marathon.  Now I'm wondering whether to risk it.... hmmm....

Oooh - he also says better to use energy drink that gels and water, but not why?

Run all done for me today.  11.21m in 1:54, so 10:11 av pace, with 3 x 10min intervals at about 9mi pace.  And a walk because my Dad phoned   He questioned why I was so out of breath.  Doh.  It felt quite good though, despite being tired from a smoke detector incident at 3am.  We couldn't get the damn thing to stop beeping, even when we took the battery out.  Took quite a long time to remember about the second one.

17 is a lot to do next Sunday Gooner?  I thought no more than 2 hrs?

Abs - I did run with my shin splints, but mine always hurt more when touched (or kicked by a child) than when running. Def talk to the physio and get back doing you exercises!  I did mine last night, seeing as I'd mentioned it to you.

28/03/2011 at 21:59

Is no one running?  Slackers!

I had 30 recovery run down on my schedule today, so went out for a run with my club and chose a group that ended up a bit slower than I'd anticipated but I didn't want to risk going faster at this point!

Rubbish 48 hrs of work coming up, plus my first evening class to teach.  I'm going to enjoy teaching from 6-9pm, right?

28/03/2011 at 22:35
Tbh I went to post a reply last night (the usual 8 paragraph mumblings) then lost it. Dinner then called or is that kids called for dinner so did not get back. Having said that, have not run anyway. I will in the morning but am feeling a wee bit nervous.

Evening class - yuk! Sure you will love it, sort of. Hope next few days go ok.
Wise decision on the pace - sure there is little to gain now we are so close.

Run planned for the morning, fingers crossed!
29/03/2011 at 08:14

what a glorious morning!

am going to settle straight into my new role by joining some Mums from school at a gym class - coffee beforehand, natch! but might add on a shortish run afterwards, depending on how hard body conditioning turns out to be....

evening class sounds awful? did you get any choice?

29/03/2011 at 13:28

body conditioning turned out to be a bit too aerobics-y for my liking. am just not coordinated and felt like an elephant amongst the crowd of graceful yummy Mummies who have clearly been doing the class for yonks..... the core bit at the end was very good but won't be going back.... still- lots of other classes to try!

so anyway - no running - will save that for tomorrow. left shin has been feeling a bit tight so might keep it gentle...

29/03/2011 at 18:35

Ooh i know the types of classes you mean, prefer something a bit more strength based. Not the shins - you were doing v well without niggles. A few gentle runs sounds wise. Liking the sound of the pre workout coffee though

I did just over 5 this morning, shins were fine, tightness behind knees below hams which i look forward to having massaged out tomorrow. Felt surprisingly fresh, chugging along at approx 9 30 pace. Did not feel that pace, so lots to be said for a few days off. Think i must replicate the previous 3 days before the marathon.

Zipvit delivery arrived today followed by a 10% discount email - grrrrrrr! Nevermind, I have my banana gels.

Hubby now appears to have a groin strain as well as a hernia - he is not remotely worried, very strange

29/03/2011 at 19:02

I think he's getting in his excuses early, so when he gets chicked he can say 'well, I did have a hernia, and a groin strain, so I wasn't really trying...'

Yummy Mummy exercises classes are inherently evil.  Better to go for some core stuff to complement running.  Poor old Alibugs knackered her achillies doing zumba and still isn't back running, after 3+ months

Evening class was kind of a choice.  Its the same course that I teach in the daytime, just condensed.  I could pass teaching it over to someone else, but it would take hours of me training them up in what to do and teach and how the system for marking works, for which I wouldn't be paid.  So better to just teach it, given that I've already done all the prep.

Well done on the speedy run - how fab to be feeling lovely and strong.

31/03/2011 at 10:21

All quiet on the western...

Did a second 20 on Sunday - walked and struggled, had hand on 'phone at 17 to call for a lift, saw a downhill stretch and somehow plodded on to 20...  oddest thing was still ended up in 3hrs 24 so must have really banged out the first bit as I must have walked for at least 10 mins on and off.. good stamina practice I suppose...

WARNING!  Never ever try Power Bar Blackberry and Caffeine gel - a clear winner for "the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted in my life"...  (although given the last 3 miles, perhaps it worked?)...

Finally felt really good last night - did a 7 miler with a mate and when we parted I ended up doing an extra mile as I was just enjoying it... seems sooooo long since I've had that feeling, and very welcome it was too. Run last night also seems to have eased the tendon problem under my right foot arch and the mysterious coccyx pain I'd had since Sunday...

You lot must be getting excited/nervous now...   Just starting to try to think thorugh my logisitic for the 17th now - no decent hotels available but train a little tricky to Blackheath in morning from here...  all good fun though...

Good luck with the final week and a half paranoia!!! 

31/03/2011 at 12:53

Firm paranoia here.  I have pressure behind my ears, which is worrying me.  And that tweaky ankle from ages ago has reappeared.  Is it nearly race time?

Well done on the long run Gooner, storming!  Wickett, who has an iron stomach, can't cope with Powerbar gels.  Not even when they were free at Ironman Germany.  We have a large number stashed away, but we're never going to use them.

I'm slightly yielding under the weight of stuff i should be doing today.  So much that we'll be doing McD's for tea, eaten in the car.  Excellent parenting.  

Quick run for me this morning, followed by much stretching.  Priorities.

31/03/2011 at 19:47

Glad the aches and pains are easing RHG - a good run after a hard one - that appears to be the way! Will give the Powerbars a miss, though my caffeine is not exactly tasty but it does generally stay put!

Loads of paranoia here too. Tendons in ankles hurt, shins hurt, knees are sore, hamstrings tight. Bellybutton is sore, eyebrow inflamed. Sports massage was wonderful though, 1 hr of bliss! All aches seem to subside though, i did run for 8.2m this morning - not a normal mid week distance but as i missed last weeks 12, decided to go a bit further than the 7 i planned for this weekend but do a few days earlier to allow longer for recovery. Will now do 5-6 on Sunday and a couple of 4's next week - ticking over now.

My hubbyhas the most bizarre approach to training. He decided go for a run today. His theory was that if nothing went pop when running really fast he would probably be ok - so a week before marathon he decides to knock out a few miles with a dodgy groin as fast as he can. Is he starting to sound like your personal trainer Gladrags?

Nothing wrong with emergency McD's Wotsit - keeps many a parent sane! We have a ritual whenever we go on holiday we go for Egg Bacon McMuffins on the way (usually always works out in the morning)

01/04/2011 at 09:04

I think Wotsit has made all parents on here feel normal!!  We all do it from time to time - kids grin from ear to ear and I think it takes more than one portion of McD's fries to stunt your growth!!!

Anyone else get them the fruit bag for pud to ease the conscience? 

01/04/2011 at 17:08

I bought milkshake and we shared it, then they had bananas at home before bed.  My kids never find McD's actually fill them up.  I enjoyed my half of the milkshake a lot.  Perhaps too much... and the fries.  Mmmm.  I must be a bit salt depleted because I was craving salty stuff like mad yesterday.

Glad I'm not the only one very paranoid.  My ears are still bothering me a bit and I'm currently worrying that they're going to make me feel dizzy.

The weather looks promising though.  Currently saying cloudy and max of 12 deg.  Tip top!  Please let there also be no wind.

Hope Brian is in one piece? Nutter!

01/04/2011 at 18:34

think brian should definitely consider a career as a personal trainer with david lloyd!!! hope he survived?

everyone is sounding very on track? the last minute twinges are exactly per the script.

didn't manage my lsr today as m has tonsilitis (so that makes them even stevens at 3 bouts each this winter ) - but have plenty of free time to fit one in next week

think completely ok to resort to mcd's occasionally? if only to teach them that the toy is rubbish and the food not that great??! but yes  personally, the fries do sound pretty appealing!!

off out to the theatre tonight. hope not too warm - dark room and comfy chair combo likely to make me very sleepy.........

01/04/2011 at 21:49

Last minute twinges - yes, convincing myself that my inner thigh hurts (NEVER have problems there!!). Taking Vitamin C like it's going out of fashion, washing my hands every five minutes and avoiding people who look even remotely snuffly like bubonic plague. But apart from that, I am feeling good. Bashed out a cheeky 5K in 25.57 last night.  Completely unintentional and it felt like I was flying. Rest day today, then 8 on Sunday, followed by a very lazy week (maybe a couple of 3-4 milers but that's it). And eating - let's not forget that...

Hope Brian survived!

RHG - great running. You are going to smash 4.30!

12 degrees would be very nice indeed. That is the perfect running temp.

01/04/2011 at 21:50
Gladrags - hope the poorliness goes away soon. Yuck. We've just got over chickenpox - he's just scabby now!
02/04/2011 at 07:39
F is coughing. Would it be bad parenting to pack her off to grandma for the week? Lol!
02/04/2011 at 07:55
No.  Totally reasonable.  I'm considering moving out for the next week
02/04/2011 at 18:44

well - my first week as a stay at home mummy has been the middle aged equivalent of freshers week - have definitely exceeded my alcohol quota!!! like to think that all my gymming and running has offset it, but not really convinced!?

m seems brighter today - fingers crossed he'll be ok for school on monday. might manage a short run tomorrow but we have a day planned with friends so to get a full lsr in i'd have to get up at 6ish and do it then. not looking very appealing? think will aim for 20ish on monday and then do a 12 miler at the end of the week when my parents are babysitting... then I'm into my traditional pre-taper taper for 2 weeks (max run in lanzarote is 40 minutes as it's too hot - even at 6am...) and back for 2 weeks before my race.

how are you all doing? taper madness is clearly in full flow - but are you all a leeetle bit excitde too? thinking of what mihgt happen???? (am excited for you all!)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.