Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Follow Wotsit as she embarks on her sub-4:30 FLM campaign (Mentor: Nick Anderson)

3,741 to 3,757 of 3,757 messages
30/04/2012 at 11:36

I don't, but I think I really should.  Obviously I've put a ballot entry in.  You have to, don't you?

I'm definately going to do an autumn HM and might think about cracking sub-2 in the spring.  I am finding that when I push my speed, my lungs are still giving me a tiny bit of grief and I don't know whether that is about my fitness or a hang over from the pneumonia, so I've gone gently on it.  I think this might be a good time to start pushing more, as my workload comes down.

I should, really, have a look about for the odd 10k, to get my mind back into races.  Had a lovely calm weekend at home, things are looking up and I am feeling much less anxious and stressed about all things.  Long may it continue!

Gladrags - I agree entriely about needing to capitalise on the strength.  What is the worst that can happen?

30/04/2012 at 19:10

have managed to sit on hands and not enter the ballot yet.... am assuming it will be full by now.

i did the 12 miles. had a really good run on such a beautiful day. left the garmin at home, but felt quite bouncy and fast. no major aches. a few minor niggles, but they passed pretty quickly.

so - the marathon may still be on. but will only do it if conditions are ok (ie not too hot and not too wet). feel quite excited at the prospect though.

i do think you have to have an event in mind to keep the training up? i can quite happily churn out 3 milers but to do more, I do need a specific goal. think a summer 10k could well be the thing for you? maybe the training would help relieve some of the stress too?

30/04/2012 at 20:15
Yay go gladrags....for about 5secs, i pondered joining you.

did enter ballot. it is closed now. Fills quicker each year.

great running girls. def sounds wise to keep an eye on chest wotsut. a relapse wld not be good. glad life is calmer now too.
01/05/2012 at 15:03
only 5 secs?? felt sure i would garner some support on here!! is your friend interested? always nice to have someone to chat to beforehand (especially in a room where everyone else is aiming for 3 hours!!!!)
01/05/2012 at 21:34

ordered my marathon photos earlier and have just re-checked the site to find another one of me in the Mall with the all important both feet off the ground look!!!

01/05/2012 at 21:42

Woo hoo!  The holy grail of running pics

If 12 miles felt this good then definately go for it!  Sounds amazing to me, though I've got friends who've done London & Brighton or London then Stratford.  Very do-able.  If you are mad.

02/05/2012 at 06:38

was going to ask if your friends had any tips to pass on but as you have lots of v fast running friends am not sure there is any advice to be shared!!

feeling quite excited about the whole thing - please let the halstead weather be as kind as it was in London......

04/05/2012 at 11:01

Nah - some of them are slow old blokes! 

I think they normally go on the basis of getting plenty of rest in the first 2 weeks post marathon #1 then playing it all by ear.  When I was thinking of stratford immediately after Brighton last year their advice was just that - and then 12m 2 weeks out to see how your recovery has gone.  The answer for me was that I was dying!  But hey.

Weather looking kind... can't see how it might sneak up to 24 degrees suddenly?  Be nice though, we're off away in the caravan tomorrow.  Bit soggy out there.

We have an extra small boy this morning, kids are playing so nicely that I've even completed my marking.  Hurrah!

09/05/2012 at 14:41

have entered. have bought new gel belt (to throw away at mile 17!). have told mr g. weather looks ok.

this could be on!

hope everyone's running is going well? struggle to get out in the rain isn't it?

v mixed week here - Mum's saga is back on with chemo likely to start early June. need my running to keep me sane at times like this.

10/05/2012 at 13:25

What rubbish news Gladrags.  Coping strategies definately needed.  You know we are here if you ever need a release.

I'm struggling to get out with the weight of work on at the moment, but tomorrow is Friday and I ran last night before my evening class so all is not yet lost.  Was hard going though.

Is it this weekend, or next weekend, the race? 

10/05/2012 at 13:29

race is this weekend - - spent the whole of last year's halstead chanting "if she can, I can" as my Mum had just been given a very bleak prognosis - imagine the same chant will work again this time.

sorry to hear work so full on at the mo. very difficult to get a good balance I find - even though my working week keeps shrinking. hope things improve for you

13/05/2012 at 17:04

did it! not sure of time as had a watch malfunction and the results aren't up yet. but it's either 4h35 or 4h34. either way - marginally fastewr than London 

but seriously, I need to remember how hard some of those miles were and how rubbish i felt as i crossed the line. I really gave it my all today - and could not have gone a second faster. i do feel better knowing that - london was just too easy and comfortable. this was neither - and although the hills probably added a minute or two on to my time, they did not add 4 or 5, so enough is enough. time to put the sub 4h30 to bed now.

if anyone is looking for a pretty, friendly, well marshalled race then it's this one. i passed about 6 miles of the race talking to different runners - 2 of whom had both done 300+ marathons.

did my 5 gels strategy and only water again - and all was fine. even without the water every mile it was fine. seriously don't think i will ever drink sports drink ever again...

best moment was running past supporters at mile 23 (ish) - all banging saucepans and cheering. felt like a superstar!

sprint finish is a close second though - was amazed that i had it left and wanted to take the 2 chaps ahead of me!

so - a good day at the office, and time to put  my feet up!

15/05/2012 at 12:27

Well done Gladrags - cracking stuff!

I've got a friend who has done nearly 200 marathons and she barely ever runs them for a time, just for the experience.  I aspire to that in many ways.  Its the experience that keeps me coming back, much more than the quest for a good time.  Though I'll admit that 4:30 does niggle...

15/05/2012 at 21:13

thanks Wotsit! am pleased with self but suspect that most 'sof my friends just now think I am bonkers!

I don't aspire to 200 marathons, but I definitely can see myself doing more local ones. None of the drama and pressure of the big ones. More camaraderie amongst the runners....

early night tonight though - am shattered! - hope everyone else's running is going well? what's next ladies?

20/05/2012 at 08:13

We are struggling with fatigue at home at the moment, so whats next in our house is to try and get to the bottom of that!  I suspect something either low level viral (for W and I both to be affected) or just that the trauma of the last year has just properly hit, now that things have all calmed down.  Either way, we are both shattered and struggling to string any kind of run together.  I did 5.5m of my planned 8 on Friday, but by 2m my legs felt like lead and I really just dragged myself round.

Having been out for a lovely run last weekend accompanied by the Wockette on her bike (she complained that I was too slow!) I am ever hopeful that this summer I might be able to keep running going once the kids have finished school.  The small boy is dead keen to accompany me on a run too, so as logn as we are running around the racecourse, whcih is all traffic free and safe, I reckon it could be a winner for all of us!

This week sees our school olympic marathon relay - bet you can't guess who's idea that was?  210 laps of the school field = a marathon and there are pretty much that many kids in school.  Question is, will their cumulative time beat my last marathon time!  Yikes.

20/05/2012 at 13:31

Notifications appear to have vanished again then popped up again today. 

Gladrags - a huge well done to you. I am in awe of you doing two so close together. That is a brill time and to be honest, to do 4.34 3 weeks after another marathon beats a standalone 4.30 in my book I hope you are still resting.

Sorry to hear things are not great with your mum - like Wotsit says, we are all here if you need to vent.

Its nice when the children want to come out too isnt it, F is happy to ride on her bike but I is hit n miss. The length of our river run is just under a mile, so can go up and down there a few times, though the concrete kind of seems very concrety - harder than road!!

Glad things are calmer on the W front Wotsit, but not so great that everyone is feeling rough. These things can really ripple through every part of your life and is not such a quick fix - hang in there, all is going in the right direction.

Where is Tatty? Hellloooooo

22/05/2012 at 10:12

tis a v strange thing this running lark though? ran with a friend on friday morning and did her usual run which deliberately includes all the hills in greenwich park that i usually avoid!! I did it but it was a struggle - how does that make any sense when i know i can run 26 miles?

heavy legs after 2 miles is similarly perplexing. suspect all the ups and downs of the last year are finally taking their toll?

have tried running while M cycles - but on a v cold day - must try again now as we both quite liked it (especially the mid run hot chocolate!!)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3,741 to 3,757 of 3,757 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.