Marathon 2009

9 messages
16/04/2008 at 19:22

Hi - completly new to this forum and to running the heady distances of a marathon....but i want to do the marathon 2009......and have no idea where to start applying.

Is there a form that needs to be filled in - when/how/where etc

I know (briefly) you can apply as an individual or through a charity but now sure how/where i can register my interest.

Sorry for being such a beginner but i guess need to start somewhere.

Can anyone at least push me in the right direction!

16/04/2008 at 19:25
Google FLM, and read these forums
16/04/2008 at 19:29

Gillian, if you want to apply in the ballot for a place then go to this site on Monday 21st when the remaining ballot entries re-open http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/   Enter the site and go to the 2009 entry page.

If you want to enter via a Golden Bond charity place then you have more time to find a charity to run for.  Most charities will ask that you raise around £1500 to £2000 for them though.

Good luck.

16/04/2008 at 19:50
Thank cinders.....very helpful g x
Dark Vader    pirate
16/04/2008 at 19:51

There are lots of other marathons..  the one in London is not the biggest, nor the best....!  (IMHO..!)

16/04/2008 at 19:56

DV - agree it may not (or may be - depends how you measure it) be the best - but surely it has to be the biggest in the UK at least. And one of 2-3 biggest in world.

Gillian - think the liklihood of getting in through the ballot is normally 1 in 6. This year there will be about 10-20,000 extra ballot entrants so likly that might be to be even worst this year - maybe 1 in 7 or 8.

therefore if you really want to run it would suggest you start contacting some of the charities that you support / feel strongly about and sign up for agold bond place. You will need to show how you can raise the 1500-2000 pounds required.

Good luck - the FLM is awesome and a great one for your first marathon

16/04/2008 at 20:18

1 in 6 - someone told me it was 1 in 3 (but he did it a good few years ago!!!) 

blimey its all so daunting....yeah i know there are other marathons (I have one quite local to me) but i would love to do the flm - always wanted to - been running for a couple of years slowly building to 5k 10k half a marathon etc etc......oh well i will see what fate brings i guess!!!!!

16/04/2008 at 22:27
Gillian - some people get into FLM first time, but some like me have been rejected 3 times.  What is your local marathon?
18/04/2008 at 08:06
the bungay marathon. (norfolk)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.