Marathon first timers

9 messages
15/04/2008 at 12:26

Hi

I had to defer my marathon place due to injury, but I'm definately running it next year no matter what!.

It'll be my first marathon, so I was wondering if any of you first timers that ran it on sunday had any pointers ready for next year???

15/04/2008 at 14:38
dont worry about your time just really enjoy it! smile alot and thank the crowd when they call your name
cougie    pirate
15/04/2008 at 14:41
Train well - cos it makes it a lot easier.

Oh and 20 miles is the half way point !
15/04/2008 at 14:56

"when they call your name" -- it helps a lot to have your name in BIG
letters on the FRONT of your shirt, somewhere where the race number
wont cover it up, and then people can cheer you on by name.

15/04/2008 at 15:08

Make sure you have your name displayed big on your shirt,  the crowd really do help you get through it, especially the last couple of miles.

Train properly, unlike me!

Enjoy it.   

15/04/2008 at 15:14

Training.

15/04/2008 at 15:28

1)Train hard

2) It's your first marathon - don't get hung up about your time. Relax and enjoy the support - there are other marathons for PB's.

I had a time in mind and within 7miles knew I was so far off my pace I would not achieve my goal but being able to soak up the atmosphere made up for it

15/04/2008 at 15:28
try and get a hotel package with a bus it saves all the hassel with trains and means that you can start nice and relaxed!
15/04/2008 at 15:32

This time last year, I was in your position, having deferred due to a stress fracture.  I was determined that I would rest up for a good amount of time, then get my training back on track and have a brilliant result.  Life got in the way and somehow my training kept "start-stopping" up until early-January, when I started following the marathon schedules with disasterous, injury annoy-ing results.  My best tip is to sort out any mechanical issues your physio says need sorting (my problems involved dreadful balance, poor shoes and weak glutes), build up a really strong base slowly over the summer and autumn, then really get stuck into your training proper....

Don't beat yourself up too much over schedules though.  I got really depressed that work and injuries meant that I couldn't keep to mine, and thought about pulling out again.   I went out on Sunday and had a fantastic day, despite training to only 18 miles.  I was conservative and ran far slower than I'd originally intended, but it was a brilliant experience.  Now I have a 5:11 PB to beat next time....

Good luck for next year....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.