Marathon pace runs

How far, how long...

3 messages
23/02/2005 at 12:13
I'm looking for a bit of guidance from the forumites about the best strategy for race pace runs.

The RW schedules make mention of sticking in some time within a long run at intended race pace but what I'd like to know is this: how far, or how long should your 'biggest' run be running it all at race pace. [Apart from 26.2 miles on 17th April, of course!]

Should it be, say, two thirds of race distance at marathon pace - more, less...

Hope this makes sense!

the bat
23/02/2005 at 13:03
Have a look on the "Sub 4.15" thread (page 4) for some discussion about this.

It suggests doing some long runs at a slow pace and others starting slowly, but speeding up for the last 30-90 minutes of the run.

Personally I try and alternate long runs between slow and race pace.

23/02/2005 at 13:25
Cheers MJ - I've been doing that as part of my training.

Is there any consensus in how far is not too far for doing the whole of a run, say 16-17 miles at marathon pace from start to finish?

Maybe a long run at race pace is not advisable but I'd expect that at least one of the 'shorter' big runs should aim to mimic race day, up to a point.

the bat

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.