'Marathon preparation'

what does this mean?

21 to 34 of 34 messages
23/06/2005 at 12:51
can anyone help me?

am preparing for my first race of 5km next month (race for life). i run around 30mins to 1 hour (5 times a week). and am thinking of doing FLM 2006, am i ready for it?

Any comments welcome pls
30/08/2005 at 12:02
hi,
done lots of running but nvere have i undertaken a schedule,plan to run the flm in 2006,
need some explanantion on several items in the intermediate schedule.
1.wwek one states that on wednesday there is a 7 mile run or warm up then 10 x 1mi fast and 2mins slow,can someone explain this,
basically camn somenne explain the whole thingb to me as it would be very helpful
cheers

rich
30/08/2005 at 12:22
First of all you need to work out your pacing for the various types of run (fast, slow, easy, marathon, tempo etc etc) - there's a pace calculator on this site to help you.

The 7 mile warm up is probably going to be at a fairly east pace, before you move into the fast/slow intervals.

Don't worry too much about making the distances accurate, just work out how long roughly a mile should take at each pace (which the calculator will tell you). I use a watch that I can set to beep at different intervals, which helps with this sort of thing.

Hope this helps. I'm not an expert on these things by any means, and I'm sure other forumites can chip in with info and ideas.
30/08/2005 at 16:47
cheers mate
05/04/2007 at 20:14
I prefer training 5 times a week with yoga on rest days. Important to strengthen quadriceps (to protect knees) and build strong core muscles in abdominals and lower back to help power along during runs. Yoga good for all of this.
30/12/2010 at 10:45
Hi guys, is anyone using this training plan for the 2011 marathon?
03/01/2011 at 16:55
I'm going to give it a go, but for a marathon on 1st May.....haven't done one before....
02/02/2011 at 08:44

Im using it for Edinburgh this year, first week of the plan this week.  Used a 'beginners' get me round for the last marathon (which was my first) and that worked great.

Introduced 2/3 weekly heavy cv kettle bell workouts also for improved strength and core stability - i can feel the benefits after only a few weeks of using it to i recommend it to anyone.

Im a little confused with the 'with strides' comment on some of the sessions - if anyone can clarify that would be great.

Im aiming for sub 4hrs using this schedule, my LSR pace is around 8.30min/mi so ill let you know how it works out.

Cheers

14/11/2011 at 21:57
Started this schedule mid week 12 as training for my first marathon.  Mind you I am an experienced sprint distance runner and duathlete.  Followed it exactly and ran a comfortable 3:35.  Great program.
06/02/2012 at 22:06
Hi, just need some clarifictaion does 5M - run to a hill, then 8 x 30 secs uphill, jog down mean i do the run to a hill part as part of the 5 mile run? 
08/02/2012 at 12:51
Yes Simon, the 5M is your total mileage for the day.
jfk
07/01/2013 at 22:43

would love to know how i can adapt my working mum week into a marathon training schedule? 6 mile round trip school run x2 per week, pushing buggy up and down hills, and a very boring and busy 8 mile up hill run home from work max x3 per week - realistic x2 when I can manage it, plus a long one at the weekend. Done several halfs but first marathon this year - edinburgh, would like to do sub 0345hrs, so far best half 1h39. any thoughts? and yes I am lazy just cannot get out of bed to go for a run before the kids wake up, but maybe it will come to that.

Thanks 

28/02/2013 at 11:07
How fast are the 'steady   easy   slow' paces?
29/04/2013 at 21:07

I also would like some clariication as to 'steady', 'slow' and 'easy' paces.... Is there a difference at all?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.