Marathon Sunday - rest niggle or run?

5 messages
21/06/2012 at 11:21
Hi - also posted this in the injury section I am running??my first marathon on Sunday - a cross country in Cheltenham??(I know, mud!). I've got a couple of persistent niggles in a foot and hamstring - not injuries, but nagging things??- and was wondering if it was best to rest them now (Thursday), or fit in a short 5K. I last ran on Tuesday. My instinct is to rest them, as a couple of days off won't make any difference. I've stuck with my long runs, as per the guide - did 18 and 21. Any thoughts? Thanks Gavin
21/06/2012 at 11:38

I find I can nurse niggles through most distances up to 10 miles but beyond that the odds are stacked against. Marathons tend to cause damage, without starting with something amiss already. I wouldn't do a marathon unless completely niggle free.

Edited: 21/06/2012 at 11:38
21/06/2012 at 11:43
Thanks, but they have been tolerable out to 20 miles, just wondering what would be most beneficial in readiness for the day, at this late stage.
21/06/2012 at 12:48

Rest.  No question.  Any runnign you do now won't improve your time on the day at this point in proceedings so rest and eat carbs.  Enjoy

21/06/2012 at 17:27

cheers, as I posted on the other forum, its raining too - so backing away from the risk of a cold and an injury!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.