Marathon Virgin

Couch potato finds his feet

6 messages
25/11/2002 at 17:16
Will be running in my first marathon in London 2003 and looking for general advice.I've done Bath (1:55) and Bristol (1:50) in 2002. Generally just run up to 3 x 5 milers a week but will be trying to follow the RW 16 week Intermediate schedule but that seems a huge step up in sessions and distance.

Are these crash courses any good or should I be joining a running club?
25/11/2002 at 17:53
I ran the London Marathon in april this year,a total beginner and followed the Runners World Training Schedule to the letter and it worked a treat.You don,t need a running club if you stick to the schedule.
25/11/2002 at 21:11
Running clubs are great for advice/training partners/motivation and shared experiences, but not necessary to follow a schedule. However, my running really improved after joining a club.

Happy Running!
25/11/2002 at 23:24
Paul,
I did my first in 2002 and joined Great Western Runners (Bristol) halfway through training - helped a lot. As you've run Bristol & Bath Half's guess you might be in the area. Why not come along? Email me if you like. Cheers Jonathan
26/11/2002 at 19:11
Hi Paul,

I followed a schedule - I wasn't in a club - and it worked fine.

Do watch out that you don't attempt to do too much too fast, though - if you've been doing 15 miles pw then the intermediate schedule may involve the sort of sudden increase that almost guarantees injury. Err on the side of caution :) Good luck.
27/11/2002 at 10:17
Thanks for the info so far. I'll aim to do the schedule and make some enquiries about local clubs.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.