Metal fatigue

7 messages
18/11/2002 at 12:51
As the disappointment of the Ballot Looms I sought to comfort myself by looking at my 2002 LFM Medal. Shock horrer the darn thing is discoloured and corroding away. Is this just a freak occurance or have others had this problem. Is there anything I can do to remove the tarnish and discolouring. Can I get a replacement medal from LFM if I contact them?

Peter
18/11/2002 at 14:00
My 2000 medal has been hangin gon the wall since then and I haven't noticed any problems.
18/11/2002 at 14:02
My 2000 medal is discoloured, and has a green blob of corrosion, but I always put it down to the amount of sweat I got on it wearing it for 3-4 hours after the race, which I never wiped off. I haven't tried to clean it, as I suspect it's painted rather than all-the-way-through metal, but you could try someting no too strong, like washing up liquid solution, and see if it works. I doubt you could get a replacement, but it's worth a try.

20/11/2002 at 20:17
Like Nessie, i put mine away as soon as i arrived home without wiping off the sweat and there's a blob of corrosion on it. I used an old toothbrush and toothpaste to clean it up, then dried it before putting it in a frame that i purchased on the cheap.
21/11/2002 at 08:37
I'll get the Colgate out tonight and give it a go.

Thanks, Peter
25/11/2002 at 10:36
Tooth paste didnt work so I adopted the brute force approach of a couple of emery boards, which has ground off the discolouration and left me with a shiny if scratched medal but at least it is now readable.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
27/11/2002 at 21:07
Most medals discolour after a couple of years. if you want to keep yours pristine, the only way is to frame it and keep the air off. After all, they are not made of gold!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.