Milton Keynes Marathon

21 to 40 of 181 messages
09/12/2012 at 21:48

Just checked out the dates, I was thinking of doing the MK instead of Manchester because of my lack of training  . .and then I looked at the dates. Yep, MK is in May but only a week after!! 

MK is only up the road for me.  . so still considering. Nice one Timi, hope you booked on   This must be prime time to sign up  Susie, have you done it before? Which garmin have you got Seth? 

x

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 21:49
10/12/2012 at 18:07
I've managed to sign up so the deed is done, no turning back! In order to ease into the Marathon running spirit, I have booked myself into a practical, 1 day workshop about Marathon Running by Sam Murphy in London in January (some of you may know her books quite well or her regular column in the Runners World Magazine). I'm very excited to meet some like minded people and learn from someone who has a great reputation and vast knowledge in the running community!
13/12/2012 at 12:57

Myself and the Hubby are in training for it also, its our second marathon we did Chester in October (4:37:19 & 3:48:29) , i'm hoping for a better time so far if things continue to go to plan i'm hoping for as near to 4hrs as i can get, a sub 4 would be great but i'm not sure this is achievable yet. I completed the Conway half this year in 1:56:56 and have got another 5 halves booked in before the big day so far so good. If anyone is looking for a great but challenging half, Conway is approx 4 mile steep up hill to the Great Orme with fantastic views.

01/01/2013 at 14:36

I have just signed up for the MK Marathon, which will be my first. I've run a number of 10K, 10M and 1/2M races, and it's time to step up! Training starts in earnest tomorrow...

02/01/2013 at 12:05

The husband and I have also signed up - our first marathon although we've done adventure races, 10k, 10m and 1/2m too.

Bootcamp this morning and a short run to get back into it after injury tonight.

04/01/2013 at 22:11

Hi envious, I've got a 110 with a HR monitor. £100 off ebay. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to get the right paces, it's also great to log and compare runs. I'm enjoying trying to make sense of it all.

I signed up as I figured I'll never win any races but just finishing a marathon is a win and a real achievement as it's so far. Hopefully stay well and injury free. It's great to have something to focus on. 

Hows everyones training going? 

09/01/2013 at 17:11

I've signed up, so excited. I have done plenty of 10K and halfs but this is my first ever marathon.

It's a life ambition of mine, many people have told me I won't be able to do it. I have a full time job with a long commute every day (3hr round trip), I also have a young child, my husband works at the weekends which is when I am off work and we don't have any help with childcare. So I have to be really inventive with fitting in training, but so far I am keeping up with the training plan. 

I don't think I will be that quick, but I am just concerned with finishing on the day, I can worry about the time next time! 

10/01/2013 at 16:31

I have signed up again for this, it was a good course last year apart from the rain, but apparently changed the course this year.

I am also doing Pitsford marathon in march, this and Mk are training runs as hopefully having a go at a 100 miler in August.

Hope evereyones training is going well, looks like we are going to be in for a few cold weeks, but it is all character building.

take care

Edited: 10/01/2013 at 16:33
10/02/2013 at 17:46

Hi all! BOING! I have entered this as my first marathon and would hope for a time around the 4.15-4.30 but really just hoping to have a good day! How everyone is getting on?

11/02/2013 at 09:46

Disaster! I have a 'prolapsed disc' I haven't ran (obviously, I can bearly walk) for over a week and long term my osteopath thinks I may be able to run slow short distances in about 4 weeks, but even that isn't guaranteed.

I've already pulled out of the Silverstone half marathon and I'm going to be so upset missing my first ever marathon, but it is't realistic! 

Any advice / ideas would be welcome, I am so very upset as usually I don't let anything stand in my way but this has beat me! 

11/02/2013 at 09:58

Joanne, a prolapsed disc sounds quite serious, it must be really difficult, but you have to look at the long term and there will be many more marathons in the future to have a go at, you need to get yourself fit first, it will be worth taking a few weeks out and then looking forward, take care and rest

11/02/2013 at 10:08

Thank you SPEN! I know you are right, it's just when you have put so much hard work in and your body lets you down, I really want to cry! 

11/02/2013 at 13:21

So sorry to hear Joanne - and of course Spen is right! And of course you are gutted!! xxx

02/03/2013 at 19:05

Hi all,

I'm doing the MK this year, my 2nd marathon, but the last one was 9 years ago! How's everyone's training going? I did 16 miles today, but not terribly fast! What mileage are you going up to before the race? I too have got a Garmin, which is very useful. I tend to go off quite fast (heart rate shoots up!) and then settle down a bit, then slow up towards the end. I know that's not ideal pacing! I did 4:39 in my first marathon, so would like to beat that if I can. 4:20 would be nice, but we'll see. I don't feel that fit yet, but there's still time.

02/03/2013 at 21:59
Hi - hope to Marshall so will be very loud & cheer you on !
02/03/2013 at 22:00
Joanne - sorry to hear your crook hope you are managing day to day
03/03/2013 at 12:06

Hello All!

Hi Kate - I have run 35 km last Sunday in 3 hours and 31 minutes and done much less this week to recover from that Mammoth run. I aim to be on my feet for 4 hours (not bothering too much about distance) this coming Sunday and the distance I am going to get to is 23-24 miles. I alternate a week with a very long Sunday run and a week with a much shorter one, just about 2-2.30 hours on my feet. I run only 3 days a week and cross train other 2 because I prefer to run at least 6-7 miles than put in little 3-4 milers often. At this moment in my life, my legs recover better this way.

Hi Cowgirl! Thank in anticipation you for the cheering 

03/03/2013 at 16:24

Things are going okish here, a couple of weeks ago did 17miles and introduced some speed work. Just after thatr I bought some new shoes for the marathon, and have got a bit of knee trouble. Good news is that it's getting better with a little reduction in training and ice/ibuprofen. 6 or 7 weeks more of hard training and a taper and hopefully be able to finish in 3.45.

Sounds like others training is going well, other then Joanne, sorry to hear, hopefully be ok for another time.

V4D
03/03/2013 at 17:43

We were spectators last year but this year I will be running (my first marathon) and hoping the weather is slightly better. Good luck with training

05/03/2013 at 16:06

Hi all, did Pitsford Marathon last sunday and managed 4hrs 7 mins so trainig going well as that was a 21 min pb, so is a sub 4 on the cards ???, in training up to Milton Keynes I wont go over 22 miles, but will do alot of 18 and 20 milers, my target race for this year is a 100 mile ultra in August so all really geared around that.

trilla - time on your feet is a good way to train.

joanne - hope things are going ok

Seth - it could be the speedwork that caused your knee pain, ease back abit and introduce it slowly

V4D - welcome to the mad world of marathon running, just dont stress and enjoy the day, the first time is fantastic, just concentrate on finishing and having fun, and yes I agree I hope the weather is better than last year

take care everyone

21 to 40 of 181 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.