Milton Keynes Marathon

101 to 120 of 181 messages
02/05/2013 at 16:05
Apples1927 wrote (see)
Hi all

Entered this after having to pull out after 15 miles in London, Just had one of those days. The weather looks like its going to be hot, does anyone know if there are many shaded areas on this course. Sun doesn't like big bald guys like me.

yeah me too, im 6ft3 and heat and running do not go so well for me. i hope its cloudy at least.

02/05/2013 at 20:12

Just packed my suntan lotion..only 5 feet 1 so I'm further away from the sun..an unfair advantage there! Last 10 miles just done..physio tomorrow, 4 miles on Saturday then chill on Sunday!

02/05/2013 at 21:44

Good luck everyone! Not long now.

It looks like it could be quite hot.

One more short run on Sat for me, then fingers crossed!

I'm running for Cancer Research UK and have raised nearly £600 so far.

Enjoy the day.

03/05/2013 at 13:22

Good luck everyone going to be a warm one, only a 1 mile jog with my 7 year old son on Sunday for me

take care everyone

03/05/2013 at 14:13

Looking forward to monday - the weather couldnt be much more different from last year. Almsot caugh pneumonia after finishing - 2013 and it'll be sunstroke (us runners are never happy).

Got the train to blecthley and walked up from the station in the rain last year so looking forward to a more pleasant stroll on Monday.

Last 10 mile on wednesday nearlly put paid to my race with a trip and forward roll but apart from a few bruises and embarrsement I'm ready to go. Already got a PB (3:35) in my A race at Brighton 3 weeks ago so will give it a go on sunday with no real pressure.

Good luck to everyone and see you there

03/05/2013 at 16:23

Hi All,

Just feeling better after a bad cold caught hold of me at beginning of the week. Apparently it's very common to get ill when tapering. Your body lets go and the glue thats been holding you together disappears. Probably did me a favour as forced me to totally rest up.

Tried a gentle 5 km this morning and felt brill! So really looking forward to Monday now.

Good luck to everyone running. Don't forget the suncream, its going to be hot! 

03/05/2013 at 18:38

Last run yesterday, just rest, eat and drink until Monday. In a book I have by Norrie Williamson it suggests 30 bananas a day for carb loading. Anyone else eating crazy amounts of carbs?

03/05/2013 at 20:41

Hells Bells Seth, 30 bananas

No crazy carbs for me..done that before and felt crap on race day. Tomorrow-porridge, jacket potato and cottage cheese, 2 cereal bars and a tin of rice pudding. Sunday-porridge, tin of Spag bol, 2 packets of low fat popcorn, 2 sandwiches and crisps, 4 low fat, low fibre porridge biscuits and small pot of rice pudding. Got me round VLM in 3:34 with no toilet issues so happy with that.

03/05/2013 at 21:14

Not one banana will be passing my lips, Seth. I can't stand them! I will feed up on pasta tomorrow and Sunday though. I won't be anywhere near as fast as you Brer Rabbit, so can blame the stodge for slowing me down, or more likely the heat.

03/05/2013 at 21:33

the heat is likely to ruin any chance i had of running a sub4, but who knows, its supposed to be cloudy too so the breeze might be cooling, in the shadows, as long as the sun is not beating down it wont be too bad. 

03/05/2013 at 22:26

I only entered on Sunday, after breaking an 18 year old PB for half marathon, so haven't done any "proper" long runs (not counting the 30k and 20 mile PBs in Feb/March) though I have bimbled around 600 miles so far this year.

Sub 4 would be fantastic (PB is 4:13 atm) but race-tie predictions suggest anything as unimaginable as 3:45. Yikes!

Also drivng nonstop from Lincoln just to add to the madness! hope I can drive home again afterwards!

03/05/2013 at 22:30

LOL Kate..I'm treating MK as a training run..no time target, just enjoy a day out in the sun

Lots of last minute entries going in...let's just party all the way round

04/05/2013 at 05:29

30 bananas a day!  For average size bananas that is over 800g of carbs without even eating anything else in the day. 8 to 10g of carbs per KG of bodyweight is the often touted figure for those carb loading. Carby meals with a few carby snacks in between is enough for me.

04/05/2013 at 07:57

im just replacing rice and potatos with pasta all week, usually works ok for me, snack on soreen and poridge for breakfast, not exactly carb loading but a more carb based diet for a week before hand. 

04/05/2013 at 09:23

Why do you give up rice and spuds for pasta Mark. Rice in particular has a very high carb content - check the dry weight %.

Any excuse for extra helpings of rice pud

04/05/2013 at 09:37

Salmon n Philly bagels for brekkie until Monday and homemade pasta each night, bacon and egg Sarnie for lunch sat and sausage and egg sarnie Sunday (both on brown bread). 

might do a daily banana milkshake with peanut butter but not sure if that is overkill.

04/05/2013 at 10:07

i dont really eat many potatos anyway, i guess just an excuse to have something different to eat, also when i make a pasta meal, pasta makes up the vast majority of the meal, where as rice is a side to a curry or chilli etc. 

04/05/2013 at 14:05

I am eating roughly the same but ... more of it! And shortbread!!

If anybody sees me come say hello, no. 1962, name 'Barbara', I have long dark hair, and a cough!!

(now I have admitted to being ill nobody will want to stand near me)

04/05/2013 at 16:50
Also-ran wrote (see)

Why do you give up rice and spuds for pasta Mark. Rice in particular has a very high carb content - check the dry weight %.

Any excuse for extra helpings of rice pud

Rice pudding is the food of the gods

Tis warming up nicely out there Team MK!!

04/05/2013 at 17:22

The book says you can have 30 potatoes instead or 2.8kilos of pasta which equals about 600g of carbs. I make smoothies with the bananas tastes lovely. Has given me some extra wind, don't know how that will translate to running.

101 to 120 of 181 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.