Milton Keynes Marathon

121 to 140 of 181 messages
05/05/2013 at 10:22

eeeeek less than 24h to go

05/05/2013 at 13:05

Seth, hope I'm not downwind of you then!

I feel like I've got a hangover today but only drank orange juice and tea last night!

Good luck all.

06/05/2013 at 17:47

Hurray I did it! 3.40.xx . it hurt though.

06/05/2013 at 18:07

Well done, awesome time. 

I got my A time I beat 5 hours 4:56:13

06/05/2013 at 18:11

that heat killed me, omg, i ran the 1st half in 1:52, and then at mile 16, dehydration kicked in, and my legs cramped hard, last 10 miles were agony, finished in 4:32.02

some guy in front of me collapsed onto the pitch with just 50 yards to go, had to be stretchered, off what a shame to fall with just 1 bend to go, inside the stadium. hope he's ok

06/05/2013 at 18:19

Marc, I had almsot exactly the same experience, though ended up finishing in 4:37, despite a 1:50 first half. Mile 16 was where it all went wrong for me too. Well, I say all went wrong, I actually had an amazing day, despite the pain of the last 10 miles. The supporters were great and really helped me on and finishing in the stadium was pertty damn cool too. Though what was with the stormtroopers at the finish line?

Saw a faller at mile 25 being helped by police and thought that must have been harsh, but 50 yards to go...

06/05/2013 at 18:24

excellent running guys  in such hot weather  - we were marshaling at mile 24.4 

my girls loved watching and cheering  - if i'm not running it next year will deffo be out to marshal again 

06/05/2013 at 18:54

Thanks curlytwig xxx

06/05/2013 at 19:05

Well done everyone. thanx xcurly and all the support and marshals. Had a great day, wife and daughters had fun too, older one had face painted but the younger one DOES NOT LIKE FACE PAINTING!

That red energy drink was horrid, not a complaint just a preference. I ran a pretty even split within a minute or so. Mile 23 onward I couldn't go faster then 9min miles though. My feet were spasming or something I've not had before. I'm really chuffed with the time though.

06/05/2013 at 19:10

Well done everyone in that heat..at least we all got around safe-that is the main thing. 3hr 31 mins for me..couldnt kick in to get sub 3:30 but pleased with that time in those conditions.

Brilliant event and organisation-well done MK

06/05/2013 at 19:17

Well done everyone !

i marshalled very early on & although I sort of know MK found it difficult to find my way around to follow & support my friend. Must of been some lonely bits ... I thought you were all awesome. 

I have one complaint - at mile 15 runners were squeezing past people out for a walk. Letting kids bounce balls in front of runners. One guy nearly fell over a kid on a scooter. Etc etc Then to top it all 3 sweaty guys had obviously been out running & walked astride the redway blocking the way for the runners behind. Total idiots !! 

well done to all. 

06/05/2013 at 19:37

i had some really rude members of the public 

kids (well young men) on a mini motorbike thing - families on bikes letting their kids weave allover the path - i politely reminded people to slow down, keep left (not the runners) 

but generally brill reception from non runners

i was super impressed at how smiley the runners were even past 24 miles - awesome 

06/05/2013 at 20:41

on the final bridge before mile 24 there were 4 teenage lads blocking the whole bride and laughing whilst drinking beer.. tossers. i just barged through, but they were activly stopping runners. 

06/05/2013 at 20:42

Mixed day for me. Me and another  guy were running on our own around mile 6, being led by a race marshall on a bike. I thought we should have been going straight up the dual carriage way, but he vered off taking is off to the redways, round lots of bends and corners, and eventually we came back  onto the dual carriage way amongst lots of other runners. They were well behind us before. So either we ran a long course, or the others ran a short course. All our early work was gone.

After cooling down and fighting off the "could not be arsed anymore" monkey, we then had confusuion at other turns.  Cones were in the process of still being put in some areas later on. This is one race I will never be back to.

Apart from a few kids, scooter and bikes to dodge, the second half was an improvement.

Great support from the public and the many marshalls who I have nothing bad to say about. But as a race it sucked. Finished 7th in 2:52:49 which I was pleased with given I turned into Mr Angry for a bit.

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 20:44
06/05/2013 at 21:03

awww marc S . i was at 24.4  after said bridge at the top of the long slope... and i think these were people who removed signs as well  - such a shame people behave this way

also ran - great time still  

there were issues with road closures at miles 6/7 and 25 (they cross paths here) as its the main roundabout to the hospital and could only be closed for 1/2 hour due to ambulance needs

the council hadn't delivered cones on time either (this was told to me by a marshal)  if the hospital route needs to remain open, surley they could route around it ? what do i know eh!

it is only the 2nd marathon held here so lessons to be learned ... 

06/05/2013 at 21:20
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Well done Also Ran ....... in all seriousness, I would be pissed, but how come it was only the two of you that got taken down the wrong path ......... where both of you really that far ahead of everyone else?

Yes - there were about 6 guys at the front who were on for 2:45 pace who were led by a bike marshall, then me and another guy who were around 2:50pace also lead by a bike marshall, then some way back there was a group. Both groups were out of sight by the point we turned off, and we met the group behind at the point we rejoined the dual carriage way.

Of course I am assuming we went wrong, and they were right, otherwise there are dodgy GFA times. I will make enquiries.

It was a lonely race, apart from that little meet up with the group, I ran solo the whole way apart from 3 who passed me, and 2 who I overtook later.

Its not the first time this has happened in a race, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

06/05/2013 at 21:23

Also-ran fantastic race, well done.  If it's any consolation the route I mapped from the programme would have you leaving the dual carriageway after mile 6 for a redway and then re-joining the road after the roundabout (no, I know not why...)...so the other geezers were given a short cut...

DNF for me.  Too hot, heat stroke, very pleased St John's were there in force...

06/05/2013 at 21:33

...actually scrap that.  That detour is the one in mile 25 - cyclist got it wrong.  Sorry.

06/05/2013 at 22:00

Well done everyone. I managed 3:02:35 which for a debut marathon I'm quite pleased with. The weather took its toll though and I got bad cramps between miles 20 and 21 which forced me to stop for a bit, and then further bouts later on which meant I had to slow down. Pity, because I was on sub-3 pace through 20 miles...

Forgot the suntan lotion... Looking somewhat like a beetroot this evening...

06/05/2013 at 22:03

sorry to hear that Teknik, hope you feel ok now.

121 to 140 of 181 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.