Milton Keynes Marathon

141 to 160 of 181 messages
06/05/2013 at 22:05

great time also ran, i can post up my garmin trace from that area if you like, so you can see if the main pack went the same way.

06/05/2013 at 22:07

Thanks Marc.  Ok now.  I'm going to keep an eye on the weather forecast to see if I've wasted 5 months of training, or, if it's cooler, I'll have ago at Halstead in 6 days' time...

06/05/2013 at 22:11

looks like we left the roads to avoid the island too.

http://i40.tinypic.com/243qotx.jpg

06/05/2013 at 22:30

Teknik tykes, glad to see you seem better now

i'm just suffering from sunburn. 

06/05/2013 at 22:58

Cheer Mark.S - I'm interested to find out what happened, but am just about over it now! I will ask the question to them, but to be honest the bloke I was running with flipped his lid and was chuntering on about it for some time. I think that forced me to pull away from him so I could get my head together!

Teknik - sorry to hear about that. How far in were you before you pulled up. Hopefully a very quick recovery and some proper UK weather will arrive for next weekend.

06/05/2013 at 23:06

Also-ran I caved in at mile 12. HR 10-15 beats higher than normal. Slowed down to let it recover but it kept rising.  In fact it was still at 130 after 10 minutes lying on the grass with my feet in the air. 

I had an awful time in Berlin 2 years ago (32C+). Decided this time that  retreat was the better blah blah...

Onwards and upwards

07/05/2013 at 04:58

I have to agree with most of the comments on here, the marshalls were great - thanks XcurlytwigX. If you were at 24.4 miles, you probably gave me some kind words of encouragement - I was running for Willen Hospice. Like other people I had to negotiate around children and walkers.

I trained for 3:48 but finished in 4:16, but given the weather, I was pleased to  just finish. Saw so many runners getting assistance at the roadside, I really felt for them as it was tough. I also hit the wall around 15.5 miles and spent the remainder of the race doing a run/ walk thing, not what I had planned but it got me round. Some great times being posted on here, despite the weather - well done everybody.

07/05/2013 at 08:12

Hi all - WELL DONE TO ALL! (special hi to booktrunk that i was lucky to meet at the start)

And sorry to hear about your experience Teknik.

I had a bit of a mixed day. As pre my previous post you will know that I am ill with a sore throat and a bad cough and was in two minds about running this but I decided to go for it, on the strength on an ok park run on Saturday (!!).

I have done plenty of 30+km runs in training (I live in a hilly place) and I know, really know, that I can do 6 mins/km for at least 35 km, without problems. My half marathon time is 1.53.

So yesterday I started happy and slow but I started suffering very early on. At mile 12 I had a coughing fit and the heat, which I do not like at the best of times, really affected me. My breathing was all over the place.

I went into complete physical and emotional meltdown. I realised I could not run the race that in normal condition I was capable of. I had (in my head thankfully) a full blown tantrum: this is unfair! I do not want this!! Cough, cough, cough.

I just could not breathe properly and get into my stride. Cough, g, cough.

So I had 2 option, quit it or develop a race strategy that would allow me to finish in one piece.

I chose b.

I decided to run a mile and walk a mile. I am used to be on my feet for a long time and know that the 20-something km left were not that much, really.

So I did, with focus and determination. Run one, walk one. Cough.  Cough a little more. At mile 23 I decided to run the last 3 miles. Because you see, the muscles strenght was there - IS there, it was :"just" my breathing that would not let me run. (In fact, today I ache a little but nothing like I would expect).

I finished in 4.48, obviously not happy with my time but very proud of my mental strenght, proud that on a difficult day I have managed to keep on keeping on!

So I have done my first marathon, but it is unfinished business between me and the distance. Give me a cold day without a cough and me and the big 42.195 are going to have a GRAND day. I promise you.

07/05/2013 at 08:37

Hiya Trilla thanks for saying hi it was great.

congrats on the revised plan. It got you around (still 8m faster than me), and now you need a nice autumn marathon to smash that time

07/05/2013 at 09:09

Hi all,

Well done to everyone.

Technik - sorry to hear about your heart rate. I think a lot of people struggled.

MK was my 3rd marathon in 3 days and it was actually my fastest! Great support, great marshalls but a tad bit hot!

I ended up making a running train bringing in a few of the slower runners around 5.30ish. It was a great way to spend the race and pass the miles.

07/05/2013 at 12:40

Well done all and thanks very much to all organisers, marshalls and supporters. I thought it was well organised and went very smoothly.

I too suffered with the heat and came in at 4:50, slightly slower than my other marathon nine years ago. Why couldn't we have had today's weather?

And I'm sure somebody said there weren't really any hills. I suppose there weren't really, but it felt like it, especially towards the end!

Hope you're all recovering well today. I don't actually feel too bad.

07/05/2013 at 15:50

apart from some sore quads (from dehydration more than anything) im fine, walked 3 miles to the city and had a starbucks in the sunshine, felt fine apart from going down stairs is a bit sore.

07/05/2013 at 15:56

Stairs are fun...

If I lead with my left leg I'm fine. If I ry to lead with my right leg it just doesn't want to know glad I had today off.

Guess I just need to train harder so I feel it less, or it's a good sign cannot decide.

07/05/2013 at 15:58

Quads are killing today, being at work sitting at a desk is not the best especially when I have to get up, stairs also not too good, but recovery run planned for tomorrow morning, that normally loosens the muscles up again.

Well done everyone for yesterday it was a tough hot day

Edited: 07/05/2013 at 15:58
07/05/2013 at 19:07

Trilla, just looked at the photo of me finishing and you were just in front of me on the line! Well done for persevering and hope your cough is better soon. I didn't have the excuse of a cough...

07/05/2013 at 20:14

The pair of you were 6 minutes ahead of me, darn i should have gone that bit quicker

07/05/2013 at 20:19

Well done everyone. Well done Trilla sounds like a good strategy in the circumstances.

Teknik hope you are ok now?

Mk was my first Marathon and it was great. Everything well organised and the Stadium a great end point. I met Booktrunk early in the race but set a slower pace. Well done on your time Booktrunk. I sustained an injury during training at the end of February. Lost all of March unable to run. As a result I never ran more than 13 miles in training. Lots of anxiety about whether I should do it or not. Decided to go for it and adopt a walk run strategy. Walking for 1min at the end of every km run. Planned a pace to get me half way round in 2:30 hr. that went ok but to be honest running was feeling better than walking and just after Willen Lake I decided to just keep running. The second half was new territory to me and I just kept going thinking Wow I've got this far as I passed each marker. Finished in 5:23:44. Loved every minute, well probably not the last 2 miles. Will definitely do another Marathon next year. 

07/05/2013 at 20:28

Well done Barbara that's awesome

My first was Leicester last October and that was 5:30:22 it is rather fun trying to get the time down.

08/05/2013 at 09:54

Hey Kate - you looked AMAZING at the finish and looked like you were really enjoying it but I hated most of it!!! I am still ill but want to run another one, like, tomorrow (or as soon as I am better) because that feels so much like unfinished business to me. (but )

Barbara (hi! my name is Barbara too!!) - I am so glad you had a good race. Excellent pacing strategy.

So, which marathon are we doing next?

08/05/2013 at 10:07

Well i'm signed up for Leicester on Sunday 13th October.  In the ballot for London

141 to 160 of 181 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.