My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3:30 Malcolm

Target 26.2 - 2014

3,061 to 3,079 of 3,079 messages
17/04/2014 at 13:14

Thanks for your kind words Malcs, but I still feel really shy posting on here!

Good luck Chickadee and Superman. I hope your races go to plan, and I look forward to reading your race reports.

My next target is TR24, so my training plan is going to involve training twice a day! Hopefully try and put a bit of speed back in these legs, but also keep the endurance.

I'm really enjoying reading all the VMLM race reports. Thank you

17/04/2014 at 16:07

nattynatster - you've made an already epic race sound even better! 

I can't believe the girls at mile 13 were prepared to hand out kisses to sweaty strangers!

There's your challenge SupermanRuns - bag yourself a smacker at mile 13. Chickadeee, double points if you manage to get one too

Rachelcgen - sounds like you have a good plan there. You'll love Paris too. Make sure you pop into the Paris thread once your training starts (or before, why wait?) they are an incredibly nice bunch there.

Have a great time skiing!

Minni - ooh, looks like our plans are pretty similar except I don't think I'd get away with a short build up if I go for it in York.

You'll be fine with 5 laps in 24 hours although it depends on how fast you run them! I made the mistake of going out like a rocket on my first lap 2 years ago and paid the price later on. I guess it's similar to marathon strategy

Stan - it was awesome seeing you on Sunday, there was just far too little time though  If you fancy TR24 next year then we'd love to have you along. Plenty of time for chit chat there.

The guy in the astronaut costume was probably on oxygen so that doesn't count

Mr P - how are you feeling today, mobility returned? How's the boss man?

KS - nice busy schedule there! Lock ness eh? Sounds like a toughie, dare I say, 'a bit of a monster' ....oh dear, I'll get my coat

Hans C - how long until York training officially starts? Are you going for a standard 16 week?

No sign of any movement from Hans Jnr.? I guess it's maybe still a bit early to be asking that but the due date isn't far off, you must be getting excited?!

chickadeee - enjoy that packing if you can! I suppose you don't just have your race stuff but a holiday's worth of clothes to pack. 

What an amazing trip you have in store - pretty damn jealous!

Jen - ooh yes, good thinking. I usually forget about the double shifts until a couple of weeks before. I can see you have your head in the game. Last year I did one double and one triple in practice.

It's also worth doing one late at night - say 10pm or later so you get a feel for what those night runs are like but you probably already have that covered

Only 14 weeks I think until TR24! 

Edited: 17/04/2014 at 16:08
17/04/2014 at 16:24

I went out for my second run post Paris this afternoon. I did 5 miles with 4 x 800m fast reps. I felt I needed to get the legs moving a bit. Just looked back and it seems this was the very first interval session of my paris plan, spooky

I felt much less sluggish than on Monday's gentle 3 miler. Will probably have another rest day tomorrow and run again on Saturday, hopefully Parkrun.

I'm still trying not to upset this calf too much so taking it easy for now.

17/04/2014 at 16:57
Malcs - 5 miles with 4 x 800m IS NOT TAKING IT EASY!!! Lol!!

The thing that concerns me the most about TR is controlling the alcohol consumption in the party tent between laps....
17/04/2014 at 19:21
I'm excited for the Boston bound now - I hope everything goes beautifully.

No runnng for me since Sunday, have done a couple of easy hours on the bike, one on Tuesday, another today, and legs are fine, but I have come down with the marathon lurgy that seems to have run the full gamut from infernal throat to gishathon in 24 hours.

I have cheered myself up by entering Watford 10K, Concorde 5 miler, & next year's Brighton half!

And I've watched the vid of the York marathon???..
17/04/2014 at 19:49

Evening everyone.

I am quite ok now Malcs but the original leg is still grumbling a little. I was going to see the physio but she only does wednesday nights and I was at our race. The boss was pretty foul on Monday morning but warmed up after lunch. We were talking earlier and I pointed out that I had done half his mileage, missed my last and third last long run, and had 8 full days off before a two week taper and still finished ahead, so if we are going to enter the same marathon again in the future we ought to be collaborating not competing .

Looking forward to a day off tomorrow, then a jog round parkrun on Saturday.

chickadee I hope you are going to post postcards, it does sound like a great trip.

Next race for me is Market Drayton 10k on May 11th then Chester Half on 18th. Not feeling like an autumn mara at the moment though.

17/04/2014 at 21:37

Minni - lol, you could always not drink?......(silence.....tumbleweed.....)

reikirabbit - oh dear, that's not good. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Mr P - lol, I almost feel sorry for the poor boss man now

17/04/2014 at 21:41

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. Tonight I ate an adult portion of fish and chips and dared to enjoy it. May the spirit of Ruth have mercy on my soul...

...although I'm more worried about my abs than my soul 

Edited: 17/04/2014 at 21:44
17/04/2014 at 21:47

Oh Malcs, what have you done!  I had baked chicken and steamed vegetables.

Followed by half a tub of ice cream 

17/04/2014 at 21:54

So... TR24. How much is the course 'trail'? do me and my head torch need to go off road? 

I've had butternut squash curry this eve

17/04/2014 at 22:05

Well if we're confessing I had mini fish small chips and peas for lunch yesterday .

And the Fosters sales graph has reversed its decline 

17/04/2014 at 22:21

Wow, Malcs I'm amazed by your running, but also how much energy you put into the forum! I've mainly been following Isabel and James's forums as my Paris plans were more aligned with theirs, but have found all the threads inspirational and loved reading your marathon day report. Strangely I didn't feel the need to recover after the marathon ( maybe didn't push myself hard enough), and did a fast time ( for me) at the local park run.... Am in Guernsey now for their Easter running festival, sounds a great event, and I'm looking forward to running each day over the weekend, should be good training for next months Brathay ( Windermere) marathon, and also will make me feel less guilty about the Easter eggs I'm dreaming of eating 

17/04/2014 at 23:04

Thought I would share a funny from London, although possibly you may have had to be there!

2nd half, passed a guy texting as he was running down the middle of the road.  He spotted the central reservation but saw it too late to take evasive action, he jumped trying to hurdle the bollard only to whack the top of it.    Fortunately for him, it was of the flexible kind and he lived to see another day.   Not sure his phone was quite so lucky.  

Only his pride was hurt, but it left all around him chuckling away for half a mile or so! 

18/04/2014 at 07:12

Stapes, wonder if I saw the same guy. Somewhere around surrey quays a guy in front ran smack into a flexible bollard and went sprawling. not sure h was texting though

18/04/2014 at 22:22

Hey Malcs thanks for asking. Mrs Hans is fed up with 12 days to go. Hans jnr appears to have good running cadence with all the kicks. Nervous, excited anticipation.

Re York,I am going to follow your 16 week program as it has the speedwork I have lacked in the past. So I guess in July. Baby willing, I am doing the Newby Half Ironman in August, so training has already started. Parkruns are down to 19.29 and 10km to 41.04 so speed work has definitely improved. 

You set the bar high with your Paris effort. I suspect your York will be another PB. A tough act to follow.

Yesterday at 14:39

Thank you all for easing my terrible guilt

Jen - all of TR24 is trail! A few runs round Cefn Sidan should acclimatise you well. If you want to be fully prepared make sure one of those is at 2am in the middle of a downpour

Mc Hilly - you are too kind! I'm very impressed with your recovery (or lack of need for one). I wish it had been the same for me. 

Wow, I like the sound of an Easter running festival alot! Ha Yes anything that can help with the guilt of seasonal chocolate is always a good thing. Have a great time!

Stapes2 - lol, well that'll teach him for texting on the move!

When I did my first London, about a mile or two in there was a bit of a ripple in the crowd of runners ahead of me and I kid you not, a guy emerged running in the opposite direction! No idea what he was thinking.

I did check if he was running it backwards but he was definitely running towards me. I saw a chap running it backwards last time I did it. Quite incredible.

Hans C - aha, sounds like she's reaching the 'get this thing out of me' stage. That's a good sign I think. Sorry to hear that she's getting the s**t kicked out of her though - that's just adding insult to injury. Do let us know when he or she appears!

Half Ironman eh? Impressive stuff. Hope the training goes well for that.

Are you aiming for sub 3:15 in York or do you have some other target in mind?

I hope York will be a good one for me. I didn't get the chance to really go for it last year so fingers crossed.

As you can tell my thoughts on how to play things are starting to crystallise. I'd quite like to go for it in York if I can but I'll be seeking the advice of the guru first.

Well done on those short times, heading towards 19 for 5K now and I bet you'll be sub 40 10K soon too - great stuff!

Yesterday at 14:42

I did the Orpington parkrun today and bagged my first sub 20 there! I didn't think I'd made it but I fumbled a bit with my watch at the start and finish so there was always a chance I missed a few seconds.

Ended up with an official time of 19:53 which I am very pleased with. It's a much tougher course than Dulwich and I was ony 14 secs of that time as well. Not a bad start to the post marathon running

It was a good day all round as Mrs Malcs improved on her PB of last week with yet another one this week. She's on fire!

Also Malcs Jr. finally got the sub 25 he's been after for so long. I think I have now been officially sacked as pacemaker, he's going it alone from now on

Edited: 19/04/2014 at 14:44
Yesterday at 16:10

Well done Malcs, I couldn't go to ours, I forgot I had made an appointment at 9:45 and it would have been touch and go really.

I am supporting Mrs P tomorrow, the prosaically named Halton 5 mile road race, it's old and much better name is the Run the Bridge race, starts in Runcorn and goes over the bridge to Hale near Liverpool airport.

Yesterday at 18:29
Jealous here of the awesome ParkRuns, am hoping to get out for a bimbette tomorrow morning - so far this week has involved 4 goes on the bike, legs are fine, was just waiting on the lungs catching up.

I too am wondering if I saw the same bollard guy! What really gets me is people running alongside me chatting along the lines of *I'm just coming up to mile 19*

Malcs would you say there's more room to move at York, and how hilly is it? I'm thinking a PB could be the target for me too if conditions are favourable.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3,061 to 3,079 of 3,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.