My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3:30 Malcolm

Target 26.2 - 2014

3,541 to 3,560 of 3,639 messages
15/08/2014 at 13:18

Hey Sarah

We use the Jane' Tridor Extreme. It has 3 wheels, front wheel lockout, shock absorbers and hand brake. It is rough and tough and has handled everything we have thrown at it so far. It has a child seat that can flatten into a bassinet. Or you can clip in the normal front facing buggy seat for an older toddler. It's been a good buy.

thanks for the tip on the entry speed, will bear that in mind.

16/08/2014 at 07:54
Hi all I've ben having a killer week, a couple of incidents at work = no time at all to get ready for my trip.

Am now here in York and funnily enough thinking of jogging round ParkRun this morning, but I mean really jogging, leg feels a little better again, building on the slight betterness from before.

Sarah a I read your report in the week - awesome, you really captured the event, and sold it to me anyway!
16/08/2014 at 19:52
Hobbled round the ParkRun, again not getting fluid at all til I hit 7 miles and was nearly back home by then, it did all feel slightly less weird just not highly functional.

I did meet Sarah A and Angela at the start though, so it was worth it!
17/08/2014 at 14:27

Hi all, hope you're having a great weekend!

I just want to shout out: I've exceeded 40 weekly miles for the first time ever!!! It's probably nothing for most of you, but I'm very pleased with it, and only managed that as I took some leave during weekdays and managed a long run then, and a semi-long run today.

Sarah, I missed the flying bouncy castle in York! I must have been busy trying to find some sunshine and walking about to keep warm during the 30 minute start delay! Leeds 10k had a very different start to York, even though they were by the same organiser. The corporate teams were all starting ahead of the masses, not a good idea, since there were quite a few walking by 1k!! In York, the corporate teams were able to start at the timed pen like every one else. Timed pens weren't actually used in Leeds, unless you're super fast and are allowed to start before the corporate runners.

Glad to hear the legs are better reikirabbit!

Super impressed by all the runners at the European Athletics! Very motivated just watching them!

17/08/2014 at 18:49
Sticky - better might be an exaggeration, but I got to normal gait today on our recce of the York course, it was slow, and I hope I don't seize up too badly overnight, and we did find a few hills, including a major drag in the final mile, what's that all about?

Well done on going over 40, I only did that for the first time when I followed Sam's plan in 2013.
22/08/2014 at 12:02

Greetings all! 

Sorry for the hiatus. I returned back from holiday to the inevitable huge backlog of work. Also I travelled to Scotland on Wednesday with the kids so that was a whole day on the trains.

Just about able to breath again but I need to catch up on what's been going on. Will be back later

22/08/2014 at 16:38

Hello all, I know I've been awol for a LONG while too... but, I'm super dooper excited about spring marathon training again, so thought I'd get back on here  Was indeed lovely to meet Reiki at York parkrun on Saturday - I wasn't at my best as I had just run 9 miles there at my marathon pace, and quite dehydrated, underfuelled, hungover. .  . I know you're shocked, coz I would never do that in a million years!  But Sarah and I ended up doing a 23 mile run together- my longest that wasn't a race.  Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt 30 miles on the Essex way with 2 of my friends who are the world record holders for the fastest 5k dressed as a pantomime camel  - I filmed them doing it the day before my Manchester marathon this year.

I know I have a small 75 mile ultra to do before marathon training, but you all know the marathon is my favourite thing, and my garmin has been getting me excited by giving me a prediction of 3:19. . .  me, who this time 2 years ago had a pb of 4:33! And to be fair this time 1 year ago had a pb of 4:18 . . . Craziness, but I'm gonna shoot for the stars, and its perfection that the weekend of my ultra is 29 weeks away from London marathon . . . I like following a 29 week long training plan . .  but may reduce it a tad so I can have a bit of recovery

I think I'm gonna fail to catch up as its been months, so will just jump in here and see what I pick up xxxXXXxxx

22/08/2014 at 18:23

Wow Angela, that's inspirational! How do you get from 4'18 PB , to aiming towards 3'19? A lot of hard work obviously! But is there a particular approach you've been using or specific plan you've been following?

23/08/2014 at 12:04

Sticky88 - great to hear you back and into your running! Very well done on breaching the 40mpw barrier too 

Sounds like training is going well for York. I can't believe it's only 7 weeks tomorrow! . Keep up the good work. I hope to be back on here more regularly once work settles and the school hols are over.

Mr P - hope you had/are having a great time in Greece!

Mc Hilly - you star, thanks for updating the race list. That's much easier adding your own so as Sarah has followed suit we can make that the standard procedure from now on.

How did your 30K go the other week?

Angela has done amazingly well. Hard work is definitely a key ingredient and I think it helps that she has a great understanding of how to train properly. However, I think it's her belief that has been the biggest factor. This is where many people hit a wall - they just don't believe it's possible for them to run further or faster. Angela sticks two fingers up to the word 'can't'

Good luck in your half tomorrow!

reikirabbit - sounds like you're still improving. How is the gait this week, still getting better I hope?

What did you think of the York course?

So glad you got to meet Sarah and Angela at the York ParkRun!

Stan - great to hear your return to running is going well. I'm sure that ParkRun time will start tumbling down once you get going. Did you do it today, if so how'd it go?

Have you recovered from dead sheep gate yet?

Sarah - wow, great TR24 report! I want to do it again right now!

Quite thankful the photo didn't come out, it didn't sound too flattering!

Gosh, Team 'Sangela' would be quite a force at TR24 next year. What's this about babies though? Were you talking about yourself or Angela?  

Hope the ultra training is going well. How are you finding training for such a long distance? Are you running everything slow or mixing things up?

Feral Bob - good to hear that the training is going well. I hope it served you well at Cheddar. Looking forward to hearing how that went. Did you smash last year's time?

Hans C - wow, your buggy running is going immensely well! Maybe your body will adapt so much that the buggy will have to become a permanent fixture?

Sounds like an impressive bit of kit anyway!

Angela - great to see you back on here! Always impressed by your enthusiasm. Got me quite excited reading your post. I have no doubt that your shoot for the stars approach will get you to 3:19 and beyond. You have the determination and the ability so keep on doing what you're doing!

How are you feeling about Saltmarsh? Not long to go now. You've got Baccus in between too of course. Nothing like a busy schedule

Well done on your 23 miler and best of luck for your 30 today!

We did the Greenock Parkrun today - new PB for me 19:02, tantalisingly close to that sub 19. Easier course than Orpington mind. However, I haven't done much speed work since my 10K so I'm pretty damn pleased with that.

23/08/2014 at 16:10
Malcs that's fantastic, come over to Hackney Marshes I tell you and 19 will be a goner for sure.

Angela I'm amazed at your strides in such a short time, and must point out that I was the wreck last Saturday, despite a mere jog to the start.

I odn't know if I told you guys but I was so focussed on CWG and work stuff that I forgot to pay for my VMLM GFA place and so have missed out! Tehre's still the club ballot, but I can't believe I did that!

If I don't run it, will be available on the course for support and lots of shouting.

Mmmm the York course - well it was mega windy and frm Stamford Bridge into town had no pavement or verge but a lot of traffic, so that was hairy, add in my reluctant quads, and it seemed a lot tougher than flat.

We did run cross country at one point to avoid a dual carriageway bit early on, and missed out the town part, so effectively ran from the actual start to Stamford Bridge and back via that major road.

We didn't do either out & back, and were not on the actual course throughout, but I got a glimpse of it, and was particularly struck by the climb near the end, and by the downhill finish.

Indeed I had a black big toenail and base of middle toe on the uninjured side afterwards, so that was some downhill, I never get that happening!

Tomorrow I supposedly have a progression 20 miler, and I think I'll be a lot better this week as am up to 80% of weight on the Alter G, am thiking of doing it from 5:30am though, as I'm timekeeper @ Junir ParkRun tomorrow. We have Kelly Sotherton and a film rew coming and I don't want to miss the athletics from Birmingham on tele in the pm!
24/08/2014 at 17:17

Hope everyone's had a good weekend of running. My plan for today was to race a half marathon, the schedule I'm following (RW marathon sub 4h..... I'm targeting Chester on 5th Oct) said I should target 1h50..... Seemed ambitious, but have been feeling good, and was confident I could beat my PB of 1'53. I was chuffed to bits to run 1h46'46 .  I don't quite understand why getting close to 8 m/m seems so tough even for just a few miles when training on my own, but easier to achieve in a race!

Have plugged my time into McMillan pace calculator.... Now thinking I should be ambitious and change my marathon target to 3'45 ( and writing it down here, helps motivate me to achieve it!)

24/08/2014 at 18:42

Hi there, thanks all for your kind comments mc hilly, reiki and Malcs.  like Malcs I've drawn loads of information and inspiration from these forums but also  im a total bookworm and like Malcs says I don't believe in 'can't'   My blog which I started at the beginning of 2013 documents a lot of the things I've done to improve if you're interested www.longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk

Mega congrats on your race today mc hilly!  You must feel fab- I love getting pbs it's the best feeling

Malcs!!! 19:02!!! Just when I was catching you up you go and get loads faster!!! Grrr Well done- didn't I tell you tr24 would make you faster

reiki- didnt realisE u had had injury- must be so frustrating- annoying about ur London place too.  Have u considered Manchester?  I ran my pb there this year and it was great- nice grey and drizzly- perfect when running a marathon  

so I did my 30 miler along the Essex way yesterday and it was fab!! I will blog it later and share it here- one of the best runs ever- even managed 5 today though my legs were a tad grouchy!

24/08/2014 at 20:54

Angela, looking forward to reading about your 30 miler, also looked at your blog..... Inspired me to also look at Boston qualifying times..... I'm going to try and join you there in 2016! Being older I don't need to be so fast, but looks like they have quite a complex qualification system... Were if you beat your qualifying time by 20 mins you get to enter earlier.... Be interning to watch the entries this September to see how it works!

24/08/2014 at 21:38

What time do you need to bq MC?

24/08/2014 at 21:51

Angela, I'm in the 45-49 bracket, so looks like 3'55 which seems reasonable.... But seems as if being faster increases the chance! Need to be 20 mins quicker to get in the first wave of entries, which seems a lot more challenging!

25/08/2014 at 08:21
Great blog Angela, & yes Manchester was my first thought as an alternative. Where did you stay?

I looked up BQ and have the qualifying time by 15 mins from VMLM this year, at the moment! Would have to equal that or hopefully go to 20 mins out, OR do it next year [that's if I'm grasping the qualifying window]...would love to do it when you guys go over. I only need 4:10, whereas VMLM dropped to sub 4 from 4:15 for F55s last year - aging is a wonderful thing in any case.

Mc Hilly that's a stonking half performance - I've never got sub 1h50, but then haven't trained or tapered for a half.

I have this appointment with an AIM [Anatomy in Motion] guy tomorrow, and he asked me to go back to when I started running and write down a list of every injury I've ever had to bring along.

Well! I started back in August 2005, so yesterday for the entire duration of Diamond League I diligently listed, and listed & listed. I've only got up to May 2007! It is so funny, it's astonishing I've got round any race at all with this lot.

And it's not how I was planning to spend today either!

Managed 22.8 miles yesterday before Junior ParkRun [I was timekeeper so had long chat with Kelly Sotherton], average only 10:06, but with quite a progression elment given very slow start, still nowhere near MP yet, never mind HMP.

Hence the appointment of course.
25/08/2014 at 09:54

morning everyone, back from hols but had a nightmare week at work, then after my run yesterday I had a headache all day so just catching up.

Mrs p is just getting ready for GNr in 2 weeks, so I have been enjoying trotting along at 9:30 mm with her, problem is not too much faster stuff to balance it out  so I'll have to knuckle down for the next few weeks.

25/08/2014 at 11:19

Thanks Hans for the info on the pram...gona make a note for if the time comes. There seems to be so many out there, but yours sounds fantastic. 

Hi Reikirabbit it was fantastic seeing you last week At parkrun, I lovely surprised. I still cant believe that you managed to pick me out from the 300 runners with just the small profile picture to go on. I was hoping that we could have all ran round together but after manoeuvring around some of the runners we had already lost you (which I apologise for) after park run nature called so it was a quick dash to the toilets so we couldnt stick around to say buy. Sorry to hear about VLM, but fingers crossed you will get a club place. I did york last year and struggled round it. I didnt think it was as flat as they made out but then afterwards I wondered if it was due to being ill/not feeling quite right that I found it tougher than I should. Dont worry about the hill at the end...the downhill finish afterwards to cheering crowds makes up for it! Well done on your long runs. Hope you get your injury list completed.

sticky 88 leeds 10k sounded like a nightmare, nothing worse than coming to an abrupt holt 1k into a race because people are walking in front of you. It happened yo me at GNR and I had started in the second pen!

hi Angela well done on your 30 mileS on sat followed by the 5 yesterday, you must be so excited now for your ultra. 

Wow Malcs, 19:02 is so quick, the holidays obviously done you some good! On the baby front it was a comment about me and Angela....but I think having poppy has put chris off the idea of having children just yet....bought me a little more time .  Shame about the photo...will try and upload it again later . I'm quite looking forward to the ultra now ive done a few runs over 20 miles with another 6-8 mile run the following morning.mi have done them mainly at marathon pace but haven't really been doing any speed work as I had a tight hamstring and ITB. I'm hoping that im on top of that now though and can start doing alittle more speed work again this week.

well done mc hilly on your new PB...youve completley smashed your previous PB, congratulations. 

How was your holiday mr p?

25/08/2014 at 11:25
Opps didn't mean running long runs at race marathon pace...more the pace you do for your long run during marathon training (ie between 8:20-8:50 mm)
25/08/2014 at 20:06
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.