My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3:30 Malcolm

Target 26.2 - 2014

141 to 160 of 3,646 messages
16/12/2013 at 07:29

welshgje - sorry Gareth, gosh don't take that the wrong way - it was meant to be a reference to the Willly Wonka-esque  pastry test which we all passed. I do have a tendency to ramble on

Totally agree about the overwhelming nature of the day. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend in London. It was really great meeting you, just a shame we didn't have more time.

Millsy - ah the dIrty pint, a firm family favourite. I'm just sorry to hear that running has become a criminal offence! 

Nice one getting 17 in and another great schoolboy error of the day too!

A.W - yes training starts today! It's 3 miles at 9mm pace if anyone plans to join in.

Mr P - Ha Me neither. I think I'm probably the same with my spending.

16/12/2013 at 08:20

Morning Malcs! What a great write up, it's almost like looking through a camera lens at you guys on the day, with the added secret thought bubbles .

I'm intrigued by the 2 pairs of shoes, in particular the racing pair. I know as the name suggests, it's 'for racing', but I would like to know when exactly you wear it, and when not to wear it. How much of it can you wear during training, or not at all? I'm due new shoes, and wondered if I was to go with a racing pair, I would still need another 'hardier' pair for long training runs etc.

16/12/2013 at 08:37
Brilliant write up Malcs. So jealous of all the free gear! Looking forward to seeing what your training plan looks like too.
16/12/2013 at 08:41

Sticky - thanks

I won't claim to be an expert on the two shoe system but I will tell you what I learned in the brief time I was there. The main difference between the two is cushioning. There is far less in the racing shoe. This means that it's not ideal for day on day training.

However, you can use it for some training runs. Shorter speed sessions would be fine and you could even use them for the odd long run too. Coincidentally Steve was wearing a pair and told me that he has used them for occasional long runs.

There's quite a noticeable weight difference between the two shoes. Andrew showed me another pair which he said would be an even better choice (possibly the DS) but I didn't have the budget by that point.

16/12/2013 at 08:48

Freemers - cheers! I have the plan already. There's loads of variation in there and I think 4 x 20+ milers.

Our main issue is fitting it round my weekend commitments because it's harder for me to do LSRs on a Sunday. The Saturday sessions are either parkruns or short hilly circuits and so a straight swap of days is not really possible.

Edited: 16/12/2013 at 08:48
16/12/2013 at 08:53

Sounds like a great day out malcs.  I would have had no problem spending £500 on running kit!

Racing shoes: I got racing shoes this year for the first time, Adidas Adizero Adios, and I love them.  Don't believe those who say they will knock 10s per mile off your times!  They are extremely light weight and fit like a glove.  I now wear them for racing every distance HM and under and although I wore them once for a training session when I first got them just to test, I don't wear them for training now. 

Malcs - I wonder whether or not you'll be advised to wear them for the marathon.

16/12/2013 at 09:06
Malcs - I may just join you on those 3 @ 9mm....I need some recovery miles today so that sounds perfect

I've never had racing shoes - I think I'd be a bit worried about the lack of cushioning and whether they would work with my orthotics....I've had achilles and knee problems in the past - the achilles in particular always used to flare up whenever I tried different shoes so I am a bit paranoid and now always stick to the same ones (Asics Nimbus). Touch wood I've not had any problems now for a couple of years, so am not about the change. Even for racing I would be too worried about it to try them!
seren nos    pirate
16/12/2013 at 10:26

morning

loved the write up malcs.

but I think you are missing the main point here..........you are talking about your training programme..but i want to see the training regime they have given you to sort out that fat right arm............priorities

16/12/2013 at 10:31

Malcs - it sounds a really fascinating day. I am rather worried about my arms now.. and my slightly lower left shoulder... not to mention the tummy (which is going down slowly!) and big toe.... And we thought running was just about throwing on a pair of trainers. I think you have made it into Really Serious Running 

16/12/2013 at 11:07

Sorry Malcs forgot to mention your *ahem*  thick arm. 

16/12/2013 at 11:15

Day one today...The schedule will largely follow the RW sub 3:30 but obviously adjusted for Malcolm's requirements. Clearly Malcolm has good speed and the 3:30 is within his capabilities if he can stay fit and healthy. 

16/12/2013 at 11:48

Minni - ha Funny enough, Mrs Malcs said the same thing about the budget.

Slightly gutted about the 10s per mile myth. I guess this means I have to do some hard work instead then?

It'll be interesting to see how the racing shoes go. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to experiment as I wouldn't normally have been this extravagant.

Freemers - Great to have you along for the first session!

I totally understand not wanting to change shoes, particularly if you've had problems in the past with injuries. 

Seren - thanks! Ha ha Well, fat arms are notoriously difficult things to sort out. People have had them for years and not been able to lose the weight. I just need to find some suitable exercises

ArrowsLou - it was indeed fascinating. I do feel rather guilty at having had the opportunity. 

Ha Yes, there is so much more to this than just running. It's a total minefield!

Steve - many thanks for your time, it was great speaking with you on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to kicking things off today.

The fit and healthy bit will be a challenge. With two children at school bringing a wide variety of diseases home on a regular basis I may have to segregate myself from the rest of the household

Edited: 16/12/2013 at 11:49
16/12/2013 at 11:54

TRAINING PLAN WEEKS 1-3

WEEK ONE Dec 16-22 (approx 27M)
Mon 3M easy (approx 9:00 miles in 27 mins)
Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 4 x 800m at approx 10km pace (3:30) with 400m jog in three minutes , then 1M jog
Wed 4M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 34 mins)
Thu 4M with middle 2M at marathon pace (sub 8s –rest 9s) approx 34 mins
Fri Rest
Sat 8M easy (approx 9:00 miles in 72 mins)
Sun 3M inc hill session or circuit

WEEK TWO Dec 23-29 (approx 30M)
Mon Rest
Tue 4M of 1M jog, then 12 x 200m at mile/5km speed (approx 45-50 secs) with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
Wed 5M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 42 mins)
Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (22 mins) then 1M jog
Fri Rest
Sat Parkrun or 30 mins fartlek (approx 4M)
Sun 12M easy (approx 9:00 miles in 1 hours 48)

WEEK THREE Dec 30-Jan 5 (approx 35M)
Mon Rest
Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10km pace (approx 7 mins) with 400m (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
Wed 6M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 51 mins)
Thu 6M progression run – starting at 9s and each mile faster with last two miles inside 8s.
Fri Rest
Sat 13M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 1:51)
Sun 4M inc hill session or circuit

So this is how it looks for the next 3 weeks. As you can see it's a 5-6 session per week schedule with speed work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

Right - off out for session number one!

16/12/2013 at 13:05
Thanks for sharing your schedule Malcs. I'd be interested from Steve what he feels are the benefits of the 200m reps (week 2) for marathon training. I tend to steer clear of any intervals under 800m, but always wonder if I should be doing shorter reps for some of the sessions.

I feel I have let you down already though Malcs - I have had to bin my planned lunchtime recovery run today as something has come up at work, and I can't do it later either. So I am having a rest day!
16/12/2013 at 13:21

How was your easy 3miles Malcs?

Thanks for your explanation about the racing shoes. Like Minni I'm also interested to know if racing shoes is recommended/appropriate for marathon race day.

16/12/2013 at 13:43

Freemers - I do some 200s (I love them!) always big sets like 12x or 14x and I find they are really good for injecting a bit of speed, especially when I find speed so hard.  Its good to get some faster turnover of the little legs and the session doesn't take much out of you.

16/12/2013 at 14:43

Hey Malcs,   Your training plan should have read:

Christmas Day: Wake up, Open Presents, Wed 5M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 42 mins), Eat, Drink and be very merry!

Boxing Day: Wake Up, take some ibruprofen, drink some rehydration fluid, go back to bed, wake up again, eat a bacon sandwich, Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (22 mins) then 1M jog, Eat Drink and be very merry again.

Fri: Rest Day!

16/12/2013 at 14:44

Malcs - No offense was taken. I was just a bit confused - especially as I'm not a chocolate eater.

That training plan looks tough and is 8 miles longer than my first week. 27 mins for 9 miles? Wowsers. Inspirational to see though.

Good luck.

16/12/2013 at 14:54

200s are less relevant to marathon training than other distances and not essential but I think good to run controlled speed sometimes without being in a tired state,

but it is essential not to blast them and they should only be very slightly faster than the pace you run other reps. I quite like doing them off very short recovery - ie start every minute and if you only say get 20 seconds recovery, then you can't run them fast and do any damage! 

16/12/2013 at 15:06
20 secs recovery Now that's tough - but I like the idea of controlled pace
141 to 160 of 3,646 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.