My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3:30 Malcolm

Target 26.2 - 2014

1 to 20 of 3,505 messages
11/12/2013 at 20:32

And so it begins....

Here is my Journey To Paris thread. Everything that happens between now and the 6th April will be documented here. Well, almost everything - there will be a few private matters that I will keep to myself but the majority, I'd say at least 96.4%, I will share with you here.

There will be highs and lows I'm sure. No doubt a bit of burning or chafing and maybe the odd tear or two as well. It won't be easy but together we'll get through it. And hopefully at the end of it, gleaming in the Paris sunshine, will be that most coveted of possessions, a sub 3:30 marathon time!

Now, let the games begin...

11/12/2013 at 20:35

Good luck Malcs - cannot wait. I'm so damned excited to meet everyone on Saturday and have a good natter.

As the slowest of the group I look forward to reading everyone else's training logs.

Gareth

11/12/2013 at 20:38

Good luck Malcs, this is gonna be good!

11/12/2013 at 20:51
Congratulations. I'm doing Brighton, also on the 6th, which will be my first marathon. I shall follow with interest.
Edited: 11/12/2013 at 20:52
11/12/2013 at 20:53
Good luck Malcs! That damned 3.30 was my nemesis for a good couple of years. I spent a year going about it the wrong way and then a year doing things the right way. Looking forward to seeing you doing it the right way.
11/12/2013 at 20:54

Here we go....  

11/12/2013 at 20:55

yipppeeeee, so exciting  

11/12/2013 at 20:59

Malcs - it was a pleasure being part of your marathon last year and you did so well. There's so much more to come and I don't think it'll be long before you reach that ultimate goal. Believe me, once you get the training right you'll wonder how it felt so hard before. Your coach is in for a real treat working with you and I can't wait for you to get going. Go blast it!  

11/12/2013 at 20:59

its going to be a great few months. 

11/12/2013 at 21:14

Gareth - Ha ha Try and stay calm, still a few days to go! 

You've got the hardest job of all because you're out on the course the longest. It's really hard being on your feet that long. I have no doubt you'll do it though!

Mr P - many thanks, I hope so!

Poo Diamonds - fantastic! What are your current PB's? Are you going for sub 3:30 too?

Millsy1977 - ooh, fantastic. Please do share any tips, what were you doing wrong?

Minni - you are far too kind. I really appreciate all the help I've had from you this year. Couldn't have progressed without you.

Jen - yeah baby!

11/12/2013 at 21:15

I thought about buying a cheap seat for the ride but Ive upgraded Malcs  

I am looking forward to this buddy, gooooood luck!!!  

114 days. Countdown commence!

11/12/2013 at 21:18

Thanks Tim, that's great to know! 

114 - blimey, doesn't sound like much when you say that....gulp!

11/12/2013 at 21:20

Oh I should mention that I've been asked to change my avatar to my competition photo while the training is going on. So I have carefully folded my previous skin and packed it away for safe keeping. It will be back!

11/12/2013 at 21:20

Congratulations Malcs.  If your thread is half as good as those from last year you will be in for an interesting time and we will be in for an entertaining one!

11/12/2013 at 21:27

I am one of those silent lurkers... Bet you have lots of them  I have read your posts since last year and loved your spirit and support of Shady Ady  so I voted for you. I am v pleased you won. Behave, I'll be lurking....... Hope the running is as fun as it can be.

11/12/2013 at 21:42
Malcs, my main mistake was trying to bash out all my long runs too fast. All I had in my head was 3.30 = 8 min miles so nearly every run was that speed. Looking back the lack of variation was shocking.
I'll fill you in on the rest as your journey progresses.
11/12/2013 at 21:45

Xyloid - many thanks! Last year's guys smashed the roof off. It'll be incredibly hard to match their commitment in both their running and their reporting on these forums and elsewhere. I promise to try my best though. Hopefully that will be enough.

h vavoom - everyone loves a silent lurker, so long as it's forums we're talking about and not something else

I certainly had many silent lurkers during the voting stage (and not always silent either) - man that was stressful!

Thanks for the vote - really appreciate it. Re. last year, you're very kind though I think there were times when Ady wished I would just go away. I'm sure I was inches away from a restraining order!

Running is always fun!

Millsy1977 - yes, I've made that error too! That seems to be one of the classics yet everyone falls for it. Hey, if you have more tips maybe there's a book to be had out of this? I'll push it through the forums and Twitter - we can split the royalties. Deal?

Edited: 11/12/2013 at 21:47
11/12/2013 at 21:52

Malcs as I only dip in and out the forum, some of the regulars scare me a little, can you also post the main points on twitter.

Then I can come on this thread and add my thoughts of encouragement or not as the case may be.

Oh by the way congratulations, glad the 200 or so votes I managed to cast helped!

11/12/2013 at 21:56

Do us proud Malcs - I'm sure you will put everything (kitchen sink and anything else to hand) into it!

11/12/2013 at 22:01

Malcs - it will be great to follow your progress and a real motivation to know that you are setting the benchmark for what needs to be done to get that time (and if I don't...well, we are all different!). Above all, I hope you have fun and can relax a bit too.

1 to 20 of 3,505 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.