My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub-5 Gareth

Target 26.2 - 2014 - Gareth Edmondson (Sub-5)

561 to 568 of 568 messages
12/04/2014 at 07:51

Great race report Gareth, written from the heart. It sounds like a great weekend in Paris, - running your first ever Marathon in Paris has got to be special. 

Have you been out for a gentle post Marathon leg loosener yet ? If you are looking for the next challenge - have you seen the competition for the Chester Marathon on this site. It even crosses over the border in to Wales to appeal to your patriotic streak!

12/04/2014 at 09:39

Just read your race report Gareth. It's inspirational stuff, and i hope that you're really proud. You should be! Running a marathon is an amazing achievement, especially your first one... hope you share your next one with us too! 

15/04/2014 at 22:53

Isabelabos: Thank you for your kind words. 

booktrunk: Thank you. I agree and have since risen from my fed up-ness about the time. My Autumn marathon will be a lot faster if I can get my arse in gear.

Ruth: Thank you. Gutted we will not be in touch again. I’ll send you a quick email this week.

LMActive: Seems my report touched a few people. Several members of staff in school commented on it as well - I didn’t know they read it

Andy: Been a long time since we sat in that motorway services eating a healthy meal 19 or so weeks ago. The weekend was very special, as was the marathon. I’m chuffed that I popped my marathon cherry in Paris. I wonder where my next one will be? Will you be entering the Asics competition again next year?

NTGNR: Thank you Sir. I will indeed share my next one.

15/04/2014 at 22:54

Tuesday - not been for any sort of run since the marathon. Is this right? Is this wrong? I don't feel like running.

I'm not quite sure how I'm meant to feel. Can any experienced marathon runners tell me?

Should I feel like running soon? I feel the need to get out there, but I don't feel the passion for it at the moment.

Any advice appreciated.

16/04/2014 at 05:22

Gareth, three friends of mine also ran Paris. One went back out a couple of days ago, one yesterday and the other hasn't run again yet. I think that you just go back out when you feel like it (although I'm not basing that opinion on any real knowledge, just gut) 

17/04/2014 at 11:33

Hi Gareth, I think your body just wants a rest, you did hammer it after all. Just nature's way of saying rest.

I have put my London report on the Jeff Galloway London 2014 thread if you are interested. It is a bit long and detailed. I do ramble.

C

18/04/2014 at 09:53

hi Gareth, leave it a good week before returning to running allow your body to rest.  then during the second week treat it like a taper.

And yes it is normal to feel like you do at the moment, you have been building up for this huge event for months, made loads of sacrifices then put your body through hell.  so yes there is somewhat of a come down. 

Set your next goal and start working towards that; maybe some 10k races which will assist will your pace but also less demanding.

23/04/2014 at 15:18

Hi All - been away in the caravan for a few days so apologies for no posts. Don't want the regulars thinking I've run away now the competition is closed. I suppose eventually I will close this thread from my side and just contribute on other posts but not yet.

MacFinbob: I still have not run. I'm starting the feel the need so the mind seems to be in good shape. I might go out for a 5k this evening - maybe even shorter.

Chris Hob: I'll take a look later this evening when I finally sit down with my laptop.

Pete: Thanks pal. It's been three weeks now and I'm finally ready.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
561 to 568 of 568 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.