Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Asics Target 26.2 PB Hunter A.W

21 to 40 of 1,007 messages
18/12/2012 at 10:53

Good luck A.W.

Week 1 looks nice and sensible. How was the first run without the Orthotics

A.W
18/12/2012 at 15:38

Thanks SC, I'm planning on grafting hard so lets hope so!

RS - Sounds like a good plan, a good balance between your uni/running. At the end of the day the quality sessions are the really important ones. On the shoes, I used to run in those Nike Zoom Marathoner's, so I think the DS racer or Skyspeed should be fine. I think i'm just being a little cautious after my injury issues last year.

Santa aka Steve - Good to meet you too, will be checking in with you soon to see how your first few weeks look.

Carro - I like the sound of sitting eating mince pies! The first week looks good, the volume gets going in to week 3/4.

Thanks Badbark and Sticky. I feel so lucky to have this opportunity to work with Steve.

Hi DSanta2, hows it been going? It looks good so far, more emphasis on quality sessions from what I can see. The first couple of weeks is a bit lower in mileage than I've been doing, which is good as I think it will help me adjust to the extra quality session. By week 4 the mileage is up near 60 for the week, so it will get tougher!

Thanks Also-ran, I've decided to start by not wearing the orthotics for one of my easy runs a week and see how it goes. No problems from yesterdays run so ok at the moment.

A.W
18/12/2012 at 15:46

Thanks for the response A.W. Things going pretty well with me. I can see where Steve is coming from in reducing the mileage if you are going to add a session of intense running. 60 a week is more like it!

I have great hopes for you, Alex!

A.W
18/12/2012 at 15:46

So today's session was 4 x 2km in 7:30-7:45 with 2:15 rest/jog. I've not done any intervals this long for quite a while, it was quite a tough session, but as with all tough sessions feels really good once you've got it done!

My splits were 7.12, 7.12, 7.12, 7.08 and did 9 miles in total. The reps were a bit quicker than planned, partly I think down to over eagerness to run them well. They did feel reasonably controlled, were consistent and wer'nt all out efforts so think the pace was probably not far off being right for the distance.

Felt good to get the first hard session done!

A.W
18/12/2012 at 17:29

Nice session A.W. as you say, always nice to get the first one out of the way. 2k reps are mentally quite tough aren't they. Last week I did my first interval session but did 4 x 1 mile and a bit slower than these!! looks about the right pace to me!

Did you do them on the track or round the perimeter of the Emirates?

19/12/2012 at 00:02

well done AW  - great for a first speed session. I did 5 x 1600 today and wasn't as fast a pace as you even though I was a lap shorter and my session I think was more than good enough for a sub-3 so even better for you.

the training will get harder but a reasonably gentle start

Edited: 19/12/2012 at 00:03
19/12/2012 at 00:02

First week looks good AW and a good session tonight. Sometimes it is hard to hold back when you are full of adrenaline. 2k reps are a great session IMHO, both mentally tough and also a good way of keeping up a decent, consistant 10k pace.

Can you let us know what your most recent PB's / season bests are for 5k up to marathon so we can get a picture of your form.Thanks.

seren nos    pirate
19/12/2012 at 04:03

AW.that was some really consistent splits there.great start to the 

A.W
19/12/2012 at 07:18

Thanks Steve and seren nos. Steve I just wanted to check the 16M run in week 3, the time to do it in seems a bit quick for a LSR?

My PB's from this year are 5k - 18.28 (although I ran 18.04 in the bootcamp time trial) 10k - 37.57, HM - 1.22.31. Didn't run a marathon this year so no current time for that.

Just an easy 6 miles today, will get it done at some point this morning. Legs feel ok after yesterdays session, just the normal tiredness!

A.W
19/12/2012 at 07:38

AW- looking good after the intervals yesterday. Are you using Garmin connect yet? Would be good to sync so can stalk you properly I would really like to see what the programme set up is too, albeit there is no way I'll ever be as quick

19/12/2012 at 07:58

Morning Alex!

Sounds like you had a good first session and wow lovely consistent splits! My first session was a gentle trot around the park at a 9 min/mile - bliss! I suspect that Steve is lulling me into a false sense of security ..!

Enjoy your 6 miles!

19/12/2012 at 09:20

A.W - oh for the luxury of a 1:22:xx half time. Some of us have had to squeeze our sub 3 marathons from a 1:27:xx half time!!!

19/12/2012 at 10:18

AW - A current half pb of 1.22 bodes really well. Have you got a half in the build up to Paris to check where you're at form wise? You might even find you end up running a 1.20ish or nipping under by then.

19/12/2012 at 11:09

Morning A.W. - good to ge the approval of Steve after your first effort session!!!

Hi One Gear - wow, that's a fantastic conversion.

A.W
19/12/2012 at 11:21
Hi Clive, how are you doing? Has the work eased up any or are you still up against it? Not on Garmin Connect just yet, I'm still using my Suunto. It has something similar called movescount, I just have to remember to make the workout public!

Thanks RRR, I think things will progressively get tougher and tougher for us both!

Hi One Gear, my previous HM PB was 1.26. And off that could only manage 3.06 for the marathon, hopefully the extra speed will help get me under!

I would love to be able to get a sub 1.20 half RS78, I have a 10k next week and Wokingham half in Feb. We'll get a good idea how things are going then!

Got my easy 6 miles done, averaged about 7.55 m/m. Nice and comfortable run.
A.W
A.W
19/12/2012 at 11:24
Hi DS2 - forgot to reply to your other question, sorry. Got the intervals done at the Emirates, each rep was 3 laps. Quite mentally draining, but I like the measured distance with no stopping!
A.W
19/12/2012 at 11:53

Thanks for postig your times AW. The 1.22.xx half is certainly a good indicator of the speed endurance to set up  well for a sub 3 attempt. Do you work at the Emirates or something or have I missed someting?

A.W
19/12/2012 at 12:03
No don't work there, but live quite close and its quite a nice track for speed sessions. Its hard work in London trying to find places for speed work (especially 2k reps) as you have to stop start so much.
A.W
19/12/2012 at 12:09

Knight rider - Alex had mentioned doing laps there when we were at bootcamp and it stuck in my mind!

A.W. I know what you mean but it is good for the mental approach. I did mine last week on a track on the local farm park with a mile (actually just under) loop. Lovely and uninterrupted but hard to break it up. One of the things I like about long intervals on a 400m track!

19/12/2012 at 14:28

Will be watching will interest! Best of luck!

@ One Gear - Whoa! Mr Consistent! If my conversions for ANY distance were that good I'd be super happy!!

21 to 40 of 1,007 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.