Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Asics Target 26.2 PB Hunter A.W

501 to 520 of 1,007 messages
10/02/2013 at 23:19

Good sub 1.30 half Golfer, and very even splits.

Steady 22 miler Steve and your 20 miler too AndyV. Did an 18 miler in 2.18.xx this evening which started well in 7.55 pace for the first 9 miles, then the next 5 ranged from 7.22 to 7.04 pace. The last mile was tough as it had been raining the whole time and turned to sleet. Hands were bitterly cold so had to cut short my run by 2 miles. I had to get my wife to undo my shoe laces whan I got in even though I'd had double gloves on.

11/02/2013 at 04:48

G'day Alex, sorry not been around much recently as really busy at work, job interviews etc.

Been catching up on the thread- great pb last week, but definately right call at weekend- running sick is not good physically or more importantly mentally as you can then sow doubts about your training and fitness etc. goal is sub 3 for Paris and all looking good.

Will try to keep on from now on!

A.W
11/02/2013 at 09:11

Nice 18 milers DS2 & KR, 20 miler from AndyV and 22 miler Steve, rotten day for long running!

Well run in your HM golfer, very close to your PB and nice to go sub 1.30!

Not sure Steve bacon, I never did the entry thing. I will look into it!

Hi Clive, your right and if I'd have started the race I wouldn't have finished it, I went downhill very quickly!

A.W
A.W
11/02/2013 at 09:19

I'm feeling a lot better today but still ill! Spent all of yesterday in bed, was just unbelievably tired and had terrible stomach cramps. I couldn't eat or get comfortable, was a really unpleasant day!

Hopefully the worst is behind me now, I've taken today off work and will rest up and hopefully be fit again tomorrow.

Steve, It would be good to catch up with the other guys at Dorney on Saturday, but is it going to be more beneficial to make sure I get a good long run done on Sunday? Or can I do both? Its been a few weeks since I've done a long run. I had to send an entry form in which I didn't do so would have to see if that was still possible if you want me to run the HM at Dorney?

A.W
A.W
11/02/2013 at 09:20

Week 9

Mon Feb 11th: rest or 5M easy

Feb 12th: 10 x 800 in 2:50 starting every 4 mins (9M in total)

Feb 13: 12M steady in 7:30-8 min miles

Feb 14th: 8M build up run  starting at 7:30s 

Feb 15th: 5M easy or rest

Feb 16th: Fartlek - 9M in total

Feb 17th: 22M slow in 8s

week total: 65M

A.W
11/02/2013 at 09:35

AW

Glad you are on the mend. Take it easy.

A.W
11/02/2013 at 11:18

I have just processed my application for the Race Your Pace Half at Dorney Lake, so the option is there if you want me to race a HM Steve! I do feel like I need the long run this weekend though, so happy to do one or the other or both if you think that would be ok!?

A.W
11/02/2013 at 12:13

Up to you, In ideal world, I think a fast half-marathon is good in the build up but with the 10k last week and the missed half this week - there is a need to do a long run. I am doing Lydd half on March 9 which four weeks before could work for you rather than doing one this week and think entries still open or there may be a better one for you nearer.

Other option is to do a few miles warm up and then 13 miles in 1:29 and then straight into a slow seven mile warm down but obviously you can't really do a hard race and a long run and it's possible anyway that the illness will prevent you doing yourself justice next week even if you feel slightly better.

Personally I lean towards a long run this weekend either as planned or using Dorney to practice drinks and pacing etc an then see if you can fit a half into early March. 

11/02/2013 at 12:19

AW, that is a shame but as everyone else has written Paris is the aim so you did the right thing.  I missed wokingham last year so take it as a good omen!

Long run yesterday planned 18M as 7's out & MP back.  I ran it with my two training partners, but they set off like a train so I let them go at 3M when I was averaging 6:30 I let this cool to 6:45 until 9, then upped the pace to 6's for the next 9, however I misjudged the distance adding an extra 2 to finish the 20 in 2:08.  I then went home and took my 8yo daughter out for 2M which was such a joy.

Easy week now before Bramley...yippee

A.W
11/02/2013 at 15:05

Nice pacey 20 miler Choisty, good luck with Bramley. Whats your plan for Bramley, a MP effort for the second half or are you racing it?

Sounds like a good plan Steve, will have a look at Lydd. I have the entry for Dorney, so any objections to me using that to do my fartlek session Saturday? Then I can do the 22 mile long run as planned Sunday?

A.W
11/02/2013 at 15:12

Hi AW - good to see you seem to be on the mend. Nice long runs Steve, Choisty, Andy V.

Golfer - very nice pacing indeed. Always nice to see 89:xx on the watch!

AW - Lydd is very, very flat! Been toying with doing it myself as part of a long run.

Good luck with Bramley - Choisty!

A.W
11/02/2013 at 15:13

Lydd Half entered!

A.W
11/02/2013 at 16:16

Well done AW. I will probably join you there although it will be at a MP effort (Approx 1:35-1:36 pace) rather than racing and will tag a couple of miles each side for a warm up/down.

11/02/2013 at 17:41

Plan for Bramley is to run MP throughout, relaxed with a smile

You will confuse people by using a race for a farlek, but it sounds like fun

11/02/2013 at 19:07

I think 13 on road may be too far for the day before 22 unless you have made a full recovery and only if you can run 4 miles slowish  warm up at no faster than 8 minute miles, then 6 miles of fartlek- averaging around 6:30 (but some of it at sub 6 pace), then 3 miles warm down at 8 minute miles which require a lot of disclipline and confuse an awful lot of people!

That's a very fast training run Choisty -   presume you are aiming for just over 2 hours to 2:03 at Bramley?

12/02/2013 at 09:38

Steve, the plan is 2:00, as at london I'm planning to 6:00 throughout, if I'm on target I will sprint the last 100m to get 1:59:59...scarey thing is that is only 8mins quicker than Sundays long run.

I do think the plan to do the session at dorney will freak people out, coul dbe worth watching if nothing else, it is what youtube is designed for

12/02/2013 at 09:45

Sub 2:00 for a 20M is quite impressive. Judging by your training sessions, it is something you can achieve. The other good thing is that you will have plenty of time to recover before London. There are few 20M races in March but I have decided not to do one as it doesn't give you much time to recover for a marathon in April.

A.W
12/02/2013 at 10:43

I have a 20M race at the beginning of March, I'm not sure I could manage it at MP and then get the rest of my training done well the week before and after. Not sure what Steve has planned for me in that race yet.

I think a fartlek a Dorney could be a bit of fun, like you say would get some strange and confused looks, but really its no different to using it as a MP effort!? Your right though, probably best to get it done outside of a race situation so I don't get sucked into running too hard for too long!!!

Steve....... I'm going to swap things about this week if ok, I don't feel up to 10x800's today, still not fully over my illness, and as its an important session would rather do it Thursday when hopefully feeling 100%. Feel ok today, just tired still, I think if anything just an easier run would be better.

A.W
12/02/2013 at 22:36

Yes agree an easy run was the better option today - make sure you feel ok before doing a hard session.

re the 20 - racing or even 20 at marathon pace is probably too much of a risk.

Dorney will be a good test of the control and running the first few miles slow (if you can)  should stop you being competitive later as you won't be amongst runners of a similar ability to you.

13/02/2013 at 12:47

Glad you're feeling better.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.