Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Asics Target 26.2 PB Hunter A.W

681 to 700 of 1,007 messages
03/03/2013 at 21:33

Progress indeed AndyV. Hope the hammy is improving continually. 

KR - are you marathon training? You must be if you're doing 20 milers. Which one?

03/03/2013 at 23:59

Doing Manchester at the end of April Speedy. Supposed to be a flat one - they all say that though!

04/03/2013 at 09:33

Awesome running Alex and well done Steve.   All looking good for Paris.   Starting to look like a sub 2:50 attempt!

A 1:27 for me yesterday followed by a 6 mile jog - given I wasn't feeling great and pre-race prep involved two hours on knees clearing up after my son's party I was chuffed.  Felt fine but had a repeat of problem of cold buttocks leading to a bit of tightening up.   Will try skimpy shorts next time!  

For those doing Paris my advice is to try to get to the front of your pen but then go with the flow until it opens up - when I did it I was way back from the front at the start and I used up a loads of energy in the first 6 miles stressing to overtake people by running up and down pavements etc to catch up the 3 hour pace man which I then regretted later on.  

04/03/2013 at 11:03

AW

That is a fantastic achievement this weekend. You are true athlete - never happy & wish could have done just a little better! I think this is a great trait in a runner, it is what keeps you going.  I am just so pleased for you and sub 80 is coming!

How did the carb load go? Glad gel went down well when you where tried - good sign!

I am still working away at restaurants as I am trying to keep eating places in evening (before race) within 0.5 mile from hotel  (have 3-4 option but getting my sister to phone them up to check a couple of things as she lives in Paris, although not in the area you are staying so is not being much help with personal recommendations! so going on reviews from trip advisor!). Paris eating places can be small so need to make sure it is a good atmosphere with good suitable food, without being too tight for space etc  but pizza option will be there for you!

A.W
04/03/2013 at 13:19

Steve - A good result.

Sarah - Thank you, it feels like the hard work is paying off now. My focus is still firmly on Paris and doing a good job there though.

AndyV - Great running, coming so close to your PB and not really pushing it and trying to run a PB is a great sign.

Good solid 20 miler KR, cracking pace on the last few miles too. That must give you loads of confidence going into the last couple of months training?

Good running from you too Nutterman, given the pre race prep, could have been quicker?? Don't think sub 2.50 is going to be attempted this time around, sub 3 hour is still the goal, any extra under will be a bonus.

A.W
A.W
04/03/2013 at 13:28

Ruth,

Carb loading went well, I followed all the guidelines except the odd yogurt. I've decided to stick to pasta instead of the pizza as the last few times I've had pizza I've had a few stomach issues. I'm not sure if its the volume of food or the amount of cheese on it or what.

The last couple of long runs and race I have just gone for cereal and toast for breakfast, some kind of cereal bar and piece of fruit as a snack mid morning. Sandwiches and a bit of fruit for lunch, a jam sandwich mid afternoon, wholewheat pasta with a pretty basic tomato sauce for dinner and that seems to work well, with a bowl of weetabix with a bit of dried fruit before bed. I also had plenty of liquid and a couple of coffees.

The morning of the race I had coffee, cereal and a piece of toast 3.5 hours before and then a banana 1.5 hours before with an energy drink to sip on.

I think this has worked quite well so will try and replicate.

A.W
A.W
04/03/2013 at 13:54
Beautiful day for running today where I am. Had a 6 mile recovery run, legs feel really good today. No real soreness or anything, took it really easy and kept about half of it on softer ground.

I thought I'd be stiffer as it was a fairly big effort in the race yesterday, but everything seems ok.
A.W
A.W
04/03/2013 at 13:57
Note - I'm not doing Lydd half this week now as I got yesterday done at Berkhamstead. Will be doing a 20 miler instead. I'm on a training weekend this. Week too, so total mileage will likely be in the 60's I would think.

Week 12

Mon Mar 4: rest or 5M easy

Mar 5: 5 x 1600 in 5:50-6:00 starting every 7 mins 30 (8M in total)

Mar 6: 12M slow in 7:45 to 8s

Mar 7: 8 mile with 36 mins alternating minute paces of 10K, marathon, fast jog

Mar 8: 5M easy or rest

Mar 9: 5M slow with strides or training weekend.

Mar 10: Lydd HM or training weekend (15M)

week total: 53M
A.W
05/03/2013 at 15:15

some good running Nutterman, KR and Andy as well as of course CC2 on her win and AW on his big PB.

My legs not too bad today and thought the 5:40 downhill miles may have caused problems to delicate knees and hamstrings but saw chiro yesterday and seem fine but will find out on track tonight how recovered I am.

Sign of age I suppose I can only run 5:40 miles on big descents in half-maathon when used to run 5:40s on flat in marathon. Little sign of aging though from Martin Rees who ran 71 minute world record half at 60 years of age atBath. He finished just ahead of 2011 Asics super six marathoner Pete who did a big PB of 71 himself.

05/03/2013 at 20:17
A.W wrote (see)

Ruth,

Carb loading went well, I followed all the guidelines except the odd yogurt. I've decided to stick to pasta instead of the pizza as the last few times I've had pizza I've had a few stomach issues. I'm not sure if its the volume of food or the amount of cheese on it or what.

The last couple of long runs and race I have just gone for cereal and toast for breakfast, some kind of cereal bar and piece of fruit as a snack mid morning. Sandwiches and a bit of fruit for lunch, a jam sandwich mid afternoon, wholewheat pasta with a pretty basic tomato sauce for dinner and that seems to work well, with a bowl of weetabix with a bit of dried fruit before bed. I also had plenty of liquid and a couple of coffees.

The morning of the race I had coffee, cereal and a piece of toast 3.5 hours before and then a banana 1.5 hours before with an energy drink to sip on.

I think this has worked quite well so will try and replicate.

Very happy with this and would be great to do this for at least 2 whole days before Paris!

A.W
05/03/2013 at 20:39
Just finished a really good track session of 8 x 1000m reps with Steve and his training group. Can't remember what the recoveries were, just ran when Steve said go!!

Really nice to run with others in a session like this for a change. Legs were being a little lazy, and really wasn't feeling very fresh at all after Sundays half, but pleasantly surprised with the times I was putting in on the reps. Definitely helped being in amongst other runners today, if I was on my own I think I would have been much slower!

Will post splits in a bit when I get home and can download from my GPS.
A.W
05/03/2013 at 22:08
aw i have to say what a fab half result! Sub 3 will be well within your capabilities in Paris! Well done keep it up but Dont push to hard and get injured or ill.i had two good results. Bourton 10k managed 38' 32 and bath half ran 1hr 23' 37 and a new pb! Only trouble is since race had bad chest and cough which Wont in away. It came on at end of half from too much exertion in final mile, i am now worried it May have done some damage or set of back with my training. Bit of a bloomin nuisance!
05/03/2013 at 22:47

Hi AW - I thought that was you! Ha. How funny. I've been following your thread for the past few months and learnt loads along the way, as I always do on here.

I was at that track session tonight and said hello, but realised we didn't know each other, so I'm glad that I'm not going totally mad...

Huge well done on your HM on Sunday. Superb time! And well done on tonight's reps. Very tough, as always, but I find the way Steve runs that session has transformed my running.

Good to see you and if I see you next time at the track I'll make sure I say hi properly.

Keep up the great work.

A.W
05/03/2013 at 22:48

Good couple of race results there Rennie. Well done on your new half PB! Hopefully the chest and cough will clear up quickly for you.

Splits for my 1000m reps this evening - 3.30, 3.27, 3.32, 3.28, 3.29, 3.29, 3.37, 3.28

I think they're a tad quicker than the last lot in January, and obviously there's more of them so fairly happy with that two days after a hard run half.

A.W
A.W
05/03/2013 at 22:53

Hi Rob - was a good session this evening, like you say, very tough though! Thanks to all you guys for letting me gate crash your track session!!!

A.W
05/03/2013 at 23:25

Good running Nutterman.

Brilliant news about Pete's big PB at Bath Steve. I think he would win alot of local half marathons with that.

Very consistent rep at the track AW and running with others of similar abilty and quicker always helps. I ventured to my local park again tonight and also did 8 x 1000m reps, but was a bit slower than yours! Times came out at 3.45, 3.43, 3.42, 3.39, 3.36, 3.39, 3.37, 3.38.

Hi Rob, good to hear from you. How's your running goiing, are you planning a spring marathon?

06/03/2013 at 09:25

Hi AW -  Yes, the session is very tough, but it definitely works. Well done on your reps. I like the way we break it up in sections, which really seems to help. Please gate crash again. We're a friendly bunch and it was great that you could join us.  

KR - hello! I've been following your progress and it sounds like you're continuing your great form from last year. I'm not doing a marathon this year, but recently broke two big milestones for my 5k and 10k PBs, which I was really delighted with.

I'm doing the Lydd HM on Sunday and then it's back to shorter distances until the autumn. I'm just keeping my head down, training and learning more about what it takes to be as fast as you lot! 

Good luck to you all. I'll be lurking from afar and wish you well.

A.W
06/03/2013 at 09:28
Nice reps KR, were you training on your own or with a group?

It looks like I will be able to move from the red start zone to the preferential start zone off the back of my half result at the weekend. Will just need to go and see them at the expo when I pick my number up with my proof of performance. So that's good news!
A.W
06/03/2013 at 13:15

I was training on my own again last night AW. I was late out and din't have a chance to got to the track as planned.

Good news on the start position. I seem to remember it was a big walk from the back of the field to the front where the red start was. It seemed well marshalled but congested where the opening iin the fence was to get through.

06/03/2013 at 15:23

Yes -a very good session AW and a solid one KR.

I was someway down on AW for much of the session (3:35 average) but did catch up to him on line on last one and felt better than have done in track for last  month. Conditions were good though. - recovery was approximately 2 minutes - varied a bit due to track congestion and to give the less faster runners a chance to get extra recovery. A shame that around half a dozen men who would have averaged 3:30, who have come along in last month or so weren't there this week though at least a couple of the women were a similar speed.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.