Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Asics Target 26.2 PB Hunter A.W

81 to 100 of 1,007 messages
23/12/2012 at 23:51

A good parkun time AW for this time of year and conditions. How did the 10 miler go today?

That sounds like a tough parkrun for you Steve. I think a lot of Parkruns vary in terrain and hills.

I don't mind the wind Hilly as it usually gets behind you in the end.

Hi golfer, you have got a good marathon time from your short race times - a good sign of endurance. Do you concentrate on the longer miles more?

Not run for 3 days as I think I cracked a rib the other night falling in through the front door after a run (laces had come undone from the rain!).

Good miles being put in DS2 (makes me feel guilty not getting out for my long run today)

A.W
24/12/2012 at 00:54

Nice long run there Hilly and sounds like a tough day for xc CC2!!

My splits were pretty even DS2, it was like you say a case of staying on my feet and getting through as quick as I could!

Sorry to say I didn't get all my 10 in today. I am at my families for xmas they live in a pretty remote part of countryside with no street lights like I'm used to in London and just didn't have time before it got too dark so only managed to fit in 6 miles. I was thinking of swapping days and doing the 10 tomorrow?

A.W
24/12/2012 at 01:34

Hi AW - don't see a problem in doing 10 tomorrow.

sorry to hear about possible cracked rib KR - hopefully just bruising?

24/12/2012 at 07:59

There's a club run we do which when I started running with the club in the early 2000s was always `10 miles'.  Then Garmins came along and it's anywhere between 8.3 and 8.6!  "But it must have been 10 miles as it used to take us an hour and we ran 6m/m on club runs in those days..."

24/12/2012 at 08:06

Ouch KR!  BR cracked a rib a few years ago falling over a wire kind of fence that he couldn't see in the semi-dark when running.  It took a few weeks to feel ok! 

A.W - it wasn't the best of long runs to tell the truth as I was really plodding by the end.  I'm coming back from several months of illness and an injury (first real injury in 6 years) so I'm building back up to what I was running regularly before and it's not as easy as I wish it to be, but then that's running

My times are way off a crack at sub 3, but I have it in my  head that I still have the ability to hit a sub 3 if only I can get the training right and everything goes well on the day.  I do convert quite well, so will see how the training and how fit I can get myself by London.  I have a half marathon in Jan, where I'm not expecting much, then a 10 miles in Feb and a 10k in March.  My March I hope to see a much improved fitness.

I did Paris Marathon in 2009, really nice experience!

24/12/2012 at 09:27

Knight rider - not a pleasant injury! Done it a few times playing hockey but normally able to run but breathing difficult. Also, make sure you take painkillers. Otherwise you are likely to get a chest infection. I once got slaughtered by a hospital doctor for not doing just that! Talking of slaughtered, are you sure you didn't fall up the steps after the Xmas party?

BR - that's a great story about the '10'. Generous rounding???

A.W. - looks like you've had a solid first week. Hard but controlled! It is difficult when in the country isn't it? No wonder so many end up with a treadie to do some miles on. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to your second week.

A.W
24/12/2012 at 10:19
Here's Week two!

Mon Dec 24th: 5M easy or rest

Dec 25th: 5M brisk in 35 mins

Dec 26th: 3M easy with strides

Dec 27th: 10km race (9M inc wu/wd)

Dec 28th: 5M easy or rest

Dec 29th: 7M fartlek

Dec 30th: 13M slow in 95 mins
week total: 42M
A.W
A.W
24/12/2012 at 10:31
That's a nasty one knight rider, I cracked a couple of ribs when I fell of a horse, it hurt to just breath!

When ever I come home to run at my parents I always run these routes that I remember being 5 or 10 miles or whatever, they are always short now I have gps! Have to always bolt bits on to the end of runs!

Hope your progress in the new year is good hilly, and by March you can get yourself in the shape you want. I always find it easier to get back to a fitness I've had after a lay off than moving on to a new level of fitness.

So got my 10 miles done today instead, just swapped Sunday/Monday. 77 minutes so about 7.45 a mile. Calves were very tight today for some reason, so will foam roller later to try and ease them up!
A.W
24/12/2012 at 10:41
Can't believe they have you running on Christmas Day! Will they have you running New Year's Day too? Know what you mean about adding bits onto the end of runs. Am in Norfolk at the moment have to keep doing loops to make up the mileage as too muddy to go off road.

Can I just ask if the schedule is just running or do you cross train or do gym sessions as well?

Well done on the park run time by the way.
24/12/2012 at 10:52

My clubmates have the opposite problem. When I first joined no-one had GPS, but since we all started getting them we've discovered that the 'Gedling 10' is almost 11 miles and the loops we run in the country park are each at least a mile longer than we thought. Many years ago I accidentally ran my first 20 miler as the guy leading the run  thought it was 16 - 17 miles. 

KR - Wardi (Sub-3 and occasionally Sub-3.15 threads) currently has a broken rib and is managing easy plodding with the aid of prescription painkillers. Probably worth a trip to the GP or walk in centre. 

It's a lovely calm day today, so typically it's a rest day! I could run of course, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is my rest period and I'm already doing parkrun tomorrow and Saturday and booked in the gym on a free pass on Thursday and Friday (3 classes booked, plus I will almost certainly use the treadies while I'm there). I may be doing a tough long run on Sunday too, though I need to check out what's happening with that. 

AW - at least you have routes you can run when you're away. I didn't take up running until I'd long since moved away from home, so I really don't know where to run in Newcastle. I end up doing really boring routes on pavements to places that I used to drive to (so I know where I'm going!) or just run on the Town Moor (home to  parkrun and the Town Moor Marathon). 

24/12/2012 at 11:23

Looks a good week A.W. Nice mix of speed and long and slow! Be careful of that calf. Sure the foam roller will help.

Stan - because it's so hilly around here and I've wanted to get into the habit of running even paced miles I have been driving to a local park and running a loop of 0.9 miles. Yesterday I did my long run there to avoid water/mud in the lanes which are pretty flooded. Had to do 16 laps plus a mile each way from the car! Good for mental strength though.

Speedy - there's a good little 13 miler out of Newcastle.......... but you may need to get the bus back..............and starting on the motorway has its drawbacks....

A.W
24/12/2012 at 12:09
Stan - I do gym work, and have done for ages. The last 9 months I have really worked hard on strengthening work and its really helped me. Steve said for me to be mindful of when I do gym work now, so I don't leave myself tired for my key sessions. I think I may ease up on it a bit as the mileage gets heavier.
A.W
24/12/2012 at 13:04

Nice run A. W.  I agree getting back to fitness is easier than starting off.

I have to say where I live now there is an abundance of fantastic running terrain.  I live just 3 minutes away from the Trans Pennine Trail and can do a 20 miler without having to come off it, then there are loads of old railway and canal paths within a few miles and many off road routes if wanting them.  It's one of the best places I've lived for running routes.  Although my only complaint is that these routes are a lot easier to run on in daylight, so at this time of year unless you wear a head torch then it's stick to the streets where loops and adding on bits are in order.

I'm so lazy with gym work and core these days, but was very good when at my best.  Keep telling myself I should get back to it - one day... On that note off to the gym soon

Edited: 24/12/2012 at 13:04
24/12/2012 at 13:56

Morning Alex! Hope everything's going well!

24/12/2012 at 17:54

Hi DS2 - what running are you doing at the moment? I live in the country and all my normal routes are flooded. Weather was shocking this morning and my only passable route was on what passes as the main road in these parts. No pavements, cold rain and the spray from traffic - not pleasant!

Aiming for a minimum of 16 and possibly a 20.

20 done at a gentle 7:39 pace. Happy with that bearing in mind I am not a great fan of running through ice cold water on a regular basis.

So 2 1/2 hours running was quickly followed by 2 hrs in the local hostelries of my nearby town.

I still have no idea what HADD or P&D stand for but I am a enthuisiastic convert to the JD&C training programme.

Happy Christmas to everyone! 

24/12/2012 at 20:11

well done on doing the run today Alex. The Xmas day and new year's day run can be swapped around if needed though most people like running on those days as they are usually quiet. Quite a few parkruns tomorrow so some people like running on xmas day.

http://www.parkrun.com/crispy/christmascompendium

A.W
25/12/2012 at 11:07

Merry Christmas everyone!

Just a quick Christmas day update! 5 miles done nice and early, 34.20. Took the first mile easy at about 8 minutes then settled in to the faster pace averaging 6.40 for the rest of the run. My calves are still a bit on the tight side, not sure what the problem is, think it may still be from my parkrun effort on the mud. Its not as bad as yesterday, but not sure how it might affect my 10k on Thursday if it doesn't settle down.

Have a lovely day Steve and everyone else. Enjoy your running/festive eating and drinking!

A.W
25/12/2012 at 16:31

Merry Xmas Alex, hope its a good one.

Looking forward to keeping uo with your training in 2013

A.W
26/12/2012 at 09:26

Morning all,

Hope you all enjoyed your festivities yesterday and looking forward to more of the same today!?

3.5 miles easyish with some strides of about 50 meters thrown in on the way round. Pretty comfortable, averaging 7.31 minute miles. Calves feel a little bit better again today, hoping that with more stretching and foam roller throughout today they will be settled enough not to affect my 10k race tomorrow. Really wanted to have a crack at a PB if conditions/body allow!

A.W
26/12/2012 at 13:18

Morning Alex! Had a great day yesterday thanks! Far too much Christmas pud though! I had a 5 miler yesterday too ... but I'm disappointed that you didn't do yours in a Santa outfit. Or did you?

81 to 100 of 1,007 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.