Races leading up to FLM

How many? When? Where?

8 messages
15/11/2007 at 18:06

I've been thinking of incorporating a few races during training for the FLM. At the moment I've been leaning towards:

Canterbury 10 mile (January)

Ashford and District 10k (possibly) (February)

Hastings Half (March)

Obviously it would make more sense to run a 10k in Jan and a 10miler in Feb, but I couldn't find a 10k in the second half of Jan in my area. I've never taken part in a race before so my question is, is this a good itinerary that will complement my training? Should I be racing more or less leading up to the marathon? Thanks for any help.

15/11/2007 at 20:00

FF

Only done Hastings Half Marathon, it is very hilly and my slowest half marathon but lots of slower runners.

Paddock Wood half marathon is a nice flat marathon on the 30th March. I got a pb there in 2006 and not beat it since.

15/11/2007 at 20:26
If you can it's quite a good idea to try and do a 20mile race in training (mainly so that you get one of those long training runs in a less-boring environment!!).

I did the Thanet 20 which is in early March and can highly recommend it.

My races in the run up to FLM were a 10k in early Jan, a half in early Feb and the 20miler in March. Many of these were first time distances for me as I'd only done a few 10ks and a 10miler pre-Dec '06, with FLM being my first marathon.

15/11/2007 at 21:02

Since you're Kent based think about the Sidcup 10 mile on 10th Feb albeit in the London part of the county.

http://www.kentac.org.uk/node/16/print 

cougie    pirate
15/11/2007 at 21:13
i wouldnt bother with the ten k - you really want to try the half distance a couple of times rather than do the short stuff. Remember that the marathon is over four times as long as the ten k. i would do two half marathons and remember to plan in your long runs - you need to get at least three twenty miles in - preferably more. Racing too much will use up your time - you need to rest up and recover remember.
16/11/2007 at 10:13

Thanks for your replies - that was very helpful! I'll probably enter two 10 mile races, followed by a half and a 20. Hopefully that will be enough but not too much. Thanks again!

21/11/2007 at 13:26
I did the Silverstone half this year. Apart from having all 4 seasons in the space of 2 hours it was a good indicator of pace.
21/11/2007 at 15:43
Hastings is a very good FLM build up because of the hills,

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.